M60 +SelectBusService+

BM5 via Woodhaven

Public transit's colloquial definition would be a transit service that is in use by members of the public at the same time. You're not going to get into a cab with a complete stranger. It is what it is.

What? Plenty of people do that with taxis... Even I have done it... Not wild about it but when taxis are not available, you do what you have to do.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my mind if you're not driving to these places you're using public transit, even if it isn't directly subsidized per se. For the record, every time one uses a taxi in NYC, they subsidize public transit, as there is a surcharge that goes to the (MTA).

You will come up with anything under the sun to make like you're in the right, even when you're not..... Quite funny really...

So under your thought process, if a family member or a co-worker drives you somewhere in their vehicle, you're using public transit?

I mean, you can view it however you like, but fact is, Taxi's aren't public transportation.... They just aren't.

Public transit's colloquial definition would be a transit service that is in use by members of the public at the same time.

You're not going to get into a cab with a complete stranger. It is what it is.

Public transit = mass transit... Keep it simple.

That last statement isn't entirely true... He is right about that.

You will come up with anything under the sun to make like you're in the right, even when you're not..... Quite funny really...

So under your thought process, if a family member or a co-worker drives you somewhere in their vehicle, you're using public transit?

I mean, you can view it however you like, but fact is, Taxi's aren't public transportation.... They just aren't.

No, not at all... That's completely different... The point is that taxis help lower congestion by encouraging people to leave their own cars at home, so in my mind they are a form of public transit, plus you pay a surcharge towards public transit every time you use a taxi.

Is there a local variant of the M60 or are all buses LIMITED (excuse me for my intentional mistake) now?

No, just the M60SBS... They have the old local schedule up just to get people used to the SBS service.

No, not at all... That's completely different... The point is that taxis help lower congestion by encouraging people to leave their own cars at home, so in my mind they are a form of public transit, plus you pay a surcharge towards public transit every time you use a taxi.

Help lower congestion? I'd argue that they add to it.

Way too many of them parading up & down manhattan streets throughout the day.... I would like to know how many passengers a NYC taxicab average a day.....

Shit, at least someone driving their own vehicle are only clogging up the roads during rush hour (for the most part).... Taxi's clog up the roads all day.....

Help lower congestion? I'd argue that they add to it.

Way too many of them parading up & down manhattan streets throughout the day.... I would like to know how many passengers a NYC taxicab average a day.....

Shit, at least someone driving their own vehicle are only clogging up the roads during rush hour (for the most part).... Taxi's clog up the roads all day.....

But they usually carry more than just one passenger per trip... If they weren't there, more people would drive in.

Because one cab carrying 2-3 people does so much more good than a standard 40ft bus carrying 60 passengers.....It would take at least 10 taxis with passengers sharing rides to carry that much people, and it would just make the pollution problem worse.

Because one cab carrying 2-3 people does so much more good than a standard 40ft bus carrying 60 passengers.....It would take at least 10 taxis with passengers sharing rides to carry that much people, and it would just make the pollution problem worse.

You're clearly missing the point... No point in me restating it over and over again.

You're clearly missing the point... No point in me restating it over and over again.

Let's say you have a taxi with one person at a fee of $45. 

Let's say there's 80 people on a standard bus, with 20 of them paying (not transferring)

Which would automatically make the most revenue and which would be the better solution. The point is to get people to use public transit, not to waste it on some car service.

Taxi cabs would be on the road regardless if anyone is a passenger in them or not. If there is a passenger, then it is helping the pollution problem. If there isn't, then it isn't helping the pollution problem even though it is technically "trying." As far as comparing cabs to buses, bus riders would rather take a bus than a cab because not only is a bus roomier, but you're not in a cramped yellow vehicle being driven by somebody who is all over the road, and is only looking for a good tip. You pay your bus fare, and that's the end story. You still get on and choose where you get off on the route.

But they usually carry more than just one passenger per trip... If they weren't there, more people would drive in.

They help alleviate the demand for parking, but they don't do anything for congestion. In fact, they make it worse, because taxis don't sit in a parking lot for eight hours in the middle of the day; they're always moving around and taking up road space. That's why there's a hard cap on taxi medallions in the city.

Every time we've had a taxi strike, congestion in the core has been alleviated significantly, and the reduced amount of taxis on the street are actually faster and pick up more people. While it certainly allows one to get around without actually owning a car, it doesn't really help with traffic.

They help alleviate the demand for parking, but they don't do anything for congestion. In fact, they make it worse, because taxis don't sit in a parking lot for eight hours in the middle of the day; they're always moving around and taking up road space. That's why there's a hard cap on taxi medallions in the city.

Every time we've had a taxi strike, congestion in the core has been alleviated significantly, and the reduced amount of taxis on the street are actually faster and pick up more people. While it certainly allows one to get around without actually owning a car, it doesn't really help with traffic.

If more people car pooled, and taxis were forced to operate in a more efficient manner, they could certainly be more environmentally friendly.

Let's say you have a taxi with one person at a fee of $45. 

Let's say there's 80 people on a standard bus, with 20 of them paying (not transferring)

Which would automatically make the most revenue and which would be the better solution. The point is to get people to use public transit, not to waste it on some car service.

That point is obvious... However, taxis still can help with pollution and do when people car pool and travel in groups, which I see all over the city. It still beats one person in a gas guzzler driving alone.

If more people car pooled, and taxis were forced to operate in a more efficient manner, they could certainly be more environmentally friendly.

That point is obvious... However, taxis still can help with pollution and do when people car pool and travel in groups, which I see all over the city. It still beats one person in a gas guzzler driving alone.

I remember taxis and car service were on zone base fare during transit strike when I was living in Yorkville.

Every time when I'm in MET Museum, none of tourist didn't share taxi.

Today, I took SBS M60, M15, M34/A SBS, B44, Bx12, Bx41 SBS yesterday.

With no M60 SBS stops between Steinway and 77th Sts, Q19 bus need to operate 24-hour or restored stop at 74th St because Astoria Blvd South has no sidewalk both side of St. Michael's Cementery.

74 Street was the most underutilized stop on the M60. The 77 Street stop is 3 blocks away, and to the north (which everyone who gets off there does, since it stops by the overpass), the Q69 is about 1 block away. There really isn't a need for that bus. The Q69 is an alternative (which runs until 1 AM). 

The point is to get the airport riders where they need to go, they don't care about Queens riders, they have buses to cater to themselves.

74 Street was the most underutilized stop on the M60. The 77 Street stop is 3 blocks away, and to the north (which everyone who gets off there does, since it stops by the overpass), the Q69 is about 1 block away. There really isn't a need for that bus. The Q69 is an alternative (which runs until 1 AM). 

The point is to get the airport riders where they need to go, they don't care about Queens riders, they have buses to cater to themselves.

How about folks who need access to 46th and 49th Streets? It's long walk without Q19 bus.

With no M60 SBS stops between Steinway and 77th Sts, Q19 bus need to operate 24-hour or restored stop at 74th St because Astoria Blvd South has no sidewalk both side of St. Michael's Cementery.

How about folks who need access to 46th and 49th Streets? It's long walk without Q19 bus.

As QJT would say.... dude, stop it already....

Q19 doesn't have the usage for for 24 hour service & the main purpose of the M60 isn't to carry riders locally along Astoria Blvd.....This idea that the Q19 should have to run 24 hrs. b/c the M60 doesn't stop at a virtually worthless stop, is just plain crazy....

As QJT would say.... dude, stop it already....

Q19 doesn't have the usage for for 24 hour service & the main purpose of the M60 isn't to carry riders locally along Astoria Blvd.....This idea that the Q19 should have to run 24 hrs. b/c the M60 doesn't stop at a virtually worthless stop, is just plain crazy....

TBH, when they started cutting stops down in 2013, I don't know how 74 street wasn't cut from the stops in Queens.

• 1 month later...

I thin 74th St need to be restored because at nighttime, walking to/from Steinway or 77th Sts are dangerous, since there's no sidewalk and drivers on Astoria Blvd are contasly speeding. Or NYCDOT to expand sidewalk on Astoria Blvd South for folks who used to take M60 or still uses Q19 bus.

• 10 months later...

You know, I work the SBS60, and there's just a few things that need to be corrected - updating the bus stations for a more fitting looks, along with bus bulbs on 125.. Man, I'm tired of wiggling around the 100s, 101s and Bx15s just to serve my stop. They also need to get rid of the 120th and Broadway stop.. It's right next to the 116th station, 4 short blocks. smh

They also need to get rid of the 120th and Broadway stop.. It's right next to the 116th station, 4 short blocks. smh

I'm going to be dorming around there in the fall, the M60SBS is gonna become my back up plan for when there's issues on the 1. I know it was when it was closed the first weekend of May when I was up there scoping the area out.

I have not spoken much (if at all) on here about the M60 SBS because out of all the routes that have SBS on it, to me, it was the least justified.... Fitting how they decide to choose the "airport route" for their 125th st SBS plan....

Aside from that, With all the shit the route has to contend with in Manhattan, the only stop the M60 (now that they decided to throw SBS on it) short of airport property (within Queens) buses should be making is:

- Astoria Blvd subway

- 82nd st (I shouldn't even include this one...)

- 94th st

That's it.... I mean, GTFOH with Steinway st, the stop over by the cemetery (77th or whatever), and the stop over by LGA Depot...

Yes, Steinway st sees good usage, but these are people that should not be benefitting from SBS - because generally speaking (especially WB), these are people seeking the Astoria line & not the part of Manhattan that the M60 serves... It's an (albeit small) reason the MTA can get away with running the level of service on the Q19 that they do now....

M60 should not be (still) compensating for the shortcomings of the Q19....

.....Man, I'm tired of wiggling around the 100s, 101s and Bx15s just to serve my stop.......

125th st SBS in a word.... Futile.

....and it does not help that M101's & Bx15's arrive like wildfire, on top of it....

side note: 125th st I refuse to drive along.... In the past when I used to drop fam off near the apollo saturday nights, Yup - I've made family members WALK from 123rd/Freddie Douglass (across the street from the back end of the the police precinct) to the Apollo....

Couple things I was not risking whilst droppin anyone off along 125th, nights - including a ticket, stuck in a jam, a headache (from the morons that would blast music in their cars - of which could still be heard from 123rd btw), getting side-swiped (which happened to an old acquaintance of mine... long boring story I won't bother sharing right now), fools harrassing you for "a light" or "a smoke", random women walkin up to the ride (few reasons, although you'd think this one would be a good thing)....

....the list goes on.

With SBS on the M34,60, 86 coming up and 14th Street in the plans for 2016, it seems like the MTA is hell bent on getting SBS on Manhattan crosstowns. Given that these routes (minus the 60) are short and riders mainly use them for short trips trying to speed them up does the riders less of a benefit than running more frequent service. If the M60 is as well used as many members here have indicated why are the service levels barely better than a route like the Bx26 which carries half the riders. Let's not even get started on the fact that I can walk from 7th Av to the Javits before one M34 bus comes my way most of the time. I get that the crosstowns are labeled "slow" due to the traffic along these streets but I would say lack of speed is not the main reason ridership is falling on these routes. Try increasing the service and see what happens. 

Archived