Tropical Storm Gustav Service Disruption!!

metsfan

Does anyone know if they initiated this same kind of plan when Katrina struck?

IIRC I had this conversation with one of my friends and they said that Amtrak offered to take ppl into another city for evcauation, but either the mayor or governer of New Orleans was like no we're fine or something of that sort!

Hmm....so anything to New Orleans and around there, not in service.

I'm surprised they're still running to Florida because I just saw the Silver Meteor and was sort of sent a shock wave thinking, "That train is running?!?"

Guess me is teh lozer.....

IIRC I had this conversation with one of my friends and they said that Amtrak offered to take ppl into another city for evcauation, but either the mayor or governer of New Orleans was like no we're fine or something of that sort!

I thought one of the major problems was the fact that majority of the people didn't want to leave their things/houses, and thought they could ride out the storm.

I thought one of the major problems was the fact that majority of the people didn't want to leave their things/houses, and thought they could ride out the storm.

They didn't have to leave their houses and things, as them and their possessions were together getting washed into the Gulf of Mexico..........

They rode out the storm last time....... on top of bloated loved ones who were face down in the filthy water, on top of doors, cars, etc......

This time they are ready. They have enough stuff down there to evacuate the entire gulf coast population some distance inland in 24 hours between texas & florida.

One whole train is going to be a dedicated emergency command center.

I heard from someone that they took NJT multilevels from sunnyside last night with them pulled by a HHP8. I don't believe them, so anyone along the crescent route or in new orleans try to confirm & get photos if possible!

Also multilevels or not try to get photos of all that stuff in one place!!

- (A)

Does anyone know if they initiated this same kind of plan when Katrina struck?

Unless I'm mistaken, no they did not. Keep in mind that those in the hurricane belt tend to stay home and ride these storms out, even refusing to leave, as they're not often Katrina sized. Now that the big one hit, the rules and mindsets have changed.

Back in Hatteras several years ago, they couldn't get people to evacuate before the big blow was due to hit, so they just distributed morgue toe tags :(

Updated news on the storm via same link.

http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/20080831/ap_on_re_us/gustav_gulf_coast

It looks like FEMA & amtrak hit a home run with this so far calling those service outages to have the needed equipment in place to get those folks out in time.

IF ANYONE YOU KNOW LIVES IN THE AREAS AFFECTED PLEASE ASK IF THEY CAN GET PHOTOS AFTER THEY TAKE CARE OF THEIR OWN SAFETY IN THIS EXTRAORDINARY SITUATION. PEOPLE NEED TO SEE THIS IN ACTION FOR POSTERITY.

(A)

Updated news on the storm via same link.

http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/20080831/ap_on_re_us/gustav_gulf_coast

It looks like FEMA & amtrak hit a home run with this so far calling those service outages to have the needed equipment in place to get those folks out in time.

IF ANYONE YOU KNOW LIVES IN THE AREAS AFFECTED PLEASE ASK IF THEY CAN GET PHOTOS AFTER THEY TAKE CARE OF THEIR OWN SAFETY IN THIS EXTRAORDINARY SITUATION. PEOPLE NEED TO SEE THIS IN ACTION FOR POSTERITY.

(A)

Here's a photo of the former Shore Line East ex-SPV's being used in the evac:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1299334

And here are more: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThumbs.aspx?id=35596

Archived