MTA 2013 Ridership Statistics

NewFlyer 230

-Q21 already is Q11 Lindenwood branch right now and right now only difference between Q11 and Q21 is nomenclature

- I think that QM16 will get more ridership especially from Howard Beach if they increase frequency because Howard Beach resident prefer QM16 over QM17 because they don't want to ride bus with black people who take QM17. To many Howard Beach resident it is still 1986 if you know what I mean. Also if span improve, many more people would take QM16 bus

-I think MTA is more likely to send Q33 to Queens Central Mall rather than extend Q70 there

- Exactly, so what would stop them from not getting rid of the Q21 in the future?

Because it currently exists now.... Is that your point? Lol....

- You're predicating growth on the QM16 with increased service.... Doesn't really answer my question, but w/e....

My question to you now is, what are you basing increased service for that route on? The QM16 doesn't need increased service... And don't tell me they'd increase service on the 16, because the white riders don't want the 17 (that's what it's looking like you're alluding to).... The MTA would rather keep 17's running to Far Rockaway (while having those two stops in Howard Beach, mid-route) than increasing 16 service to appease the racist Howard Beach folks....

If that were the case, the 16 would be the only route making those two stops, and the 17 would run nonstop from Broad Channel to Manhattan....

- I think the MTA is gonna end up combining the Q29 with the Q33, like they did with the old Q45/Q47.... I don't see them running Q33's along Broadway, to QCM.... They dug into Q33 service for the Q70, so why would they extend the Q33 to QCM?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Exactly, so what would stop them from not getting rid of the Q21 in the future?

Because it currently exists now.... Is that your point? Lol....

- You're predicating growth on the QM16 with increased service.... Doesn't really answer my question, but w/e....

My question to you now is, what are you basing increased service for that route on? The QM16 doesn't need increased service... And don't tell me they'd increase service on the 16, because the white riders don't want the 17 (that's what it's looking like you're alluding to).... The MTA would rather keep 17's running to Far Rockaway (while having those two stops in Howard Beach, mid-route) than increasing 16 service to appease the racist Howard Beach folks....

If that were the case, the 16 would be the only route making those two stops, and the 17 would run nonstop from Broad Channel to Manhattan....

- I think the MTA is gonna end up combining the Q29 with the Q33, like they did with the old Q45/Q47.... I don't see them running Q33's along Broadway, to QCM.... They dug into Q33 service for the Q70, so why would they extend the Q33 to QCM?

They would extend the Q33 to Queens Central because the Q70 would have a too roundabout routing if Q70 got extended. 

MTA will not understand that Howard Beach riders prefer QM16 over QM17 over race because everyone is too politically correct these days

Not only is there paranoia on your part, you're double talking on top of it now....

What other reason was there for you to tell me they're still needed, if you didn't perhaps think I wanted the later trips that carry air, cut?

It's not enough that I'm blatantly saying I don't want trips cut, but here you are insinuating that I DO want trips cut; talking about "whatever that reason is"..... See, you're still fixated on there being a "reason", or some ulterior motive as to why I brought up those trips carrying air.... It's not enough that I'm pointing out an observation (it's not an "impression", like I'm somehow making this up, or blindly guessing) with an express bus - Oh no, I must want them cut because I said I see buses carrying air on them.... That's paranoid thinking right there.

The double talking comes in when you yourself come on here saying "Well for that matter most express buses don't carry that well to the city after 17:00", and to now tell me that I'm under the impression that after certain times the BxM10 doesn't carry well, and how you disagree with that, since you see the route a lot...... With such a disagreement, you're implicating that the BxM10 carries well - regardless of when it runs.... Which is flat out bullshit....

If that were the case, the BxM10 would, by far and large be the most utilized express bus route in the city.... I don't care much for being a stickler for stats, but these stats here don't even remotely support such an implication.... I mean, come on now with this.....

You have long let your blind faith for express buses skew your logic on this forum....

I get your affinity for the express bus, but sometimes you take this pro-express bus bit way too far....

There's no double talking.  My point was that they're not crowded like rush hour buses, but they still see usage, enough that it makes sense to keep those trips since they would just be deadheading to the city to pick up anyway.  It's not that I have an affinity for express bus service.  I believe that the more remote communities with fewer transportation options tend to be overlooked and whatever service they do have tends to be taken for granted, as in such and such community doesn't need such and such service (whatever that service may be). Here in NYC, it's usually the express bus, but the same has been said about Metro-North as well when some communities received more service.

They would extend the Q33 to Queens Central because the Q70 would have a too roundabout routing if Q70 got extended. 

MTA will not understand that Howard Beach riders prefer QM16 over QM17 over race because everyone is too politically correct these days

- I'll just cut to the chase....

I don't care if you want to defend the Q70 (which is fine), but don't post it under the guise of what the MTA would do - Just flat out say you don't want the Q70 extended (which there's nothing wrong with).... This latest retort is a poor argument, considering how the Q70 came to fruition in the first place....The Q33 would actually be more roundabout, if that were to run along B'way, down to QCM..... You have to understand it's about saving money.....

If they were to combine the Q52/53 for purposes of being the Woodhaven SBS, to start from QCM, they would have to have something running along Broadway b/w QB & Roosevelt.... That much we can agree on.... But extending today's Q33 to QCM & having revoked it from LGA prior would be nothing more than the MTA redistributing route mileage... It would defeat the purpose of cutting the Q33 back & creating the Q70 in the first place... For what you're saying, you may as well get rid of the Q70 & have the old Q33 extended to QCM.... The MTA does not like admitting mistakes..... Now I'm not saying it has to be the Q70 running along that part of B'way in question (the Q11 would be another option), but the Q11 eats up more mileage than the Q70, and again, being that the Q70 is an airport route, they would easily choose sending Q70's south, over a northward extension of the Q11..... You can't just ignore certain things when it comes to this agency......

* FTR, I'm not saying they'd send the Q70 to QCM from Woodside (that would be flat out dumb, come on), so the roundabout routing point wouldn't apply, since buses come off the BQE @ Broadway..... It would be nothing for them to run buses down B'way from the BQE to QB.....

- Yeah right, you don't think the MTA understands racial politics??? Quite sure they're already aware of communal preferences when it comes to these routes....

Anyway, What you don't seem very cognizant of, is that it's all about green....  Racial politics is an engine with which the MTA distributes green to (areas over others).... However, Green trumps racial politics, not the other way around.... If the latter were the case, we wouldn't have NEAR as many bus routes in our system.....

There's no double talking.  My point was that they're not crowded like rush hour buses, but they still see usage, enough that it makes sense to keep those trips since they would just be deadheading to the city to pick up anyway.  

It's not that I have an affinity for express bus service.  I believe that the more remote communities with fewer transportation options tend to be overlooked and whatever service they do have tends to be taken for granted, as in such and such community doesn't need such and such service (whatever that service may be). Here in NYC, it's usually the express bus, but the same has been said about Metro-North as well when some communities received more service.

I like how you keep moving the goalpost.... I thought you disagreed with my impression that the BxM10 doesn't carry well after certain times.... Now you're telling me that they're not like rush hour trips & that those later trips still see usage.... Fact of the matter is, you are not gonna get me to believe that there aren't any BxM10 trips that carry air, because I have seen empty trips on that route well past rush hour with my own two eyes.... The later trips don't have to be crowded like rush hour buses; I wasn't implicating that they even had to be.... Who was disputing that anyway....

The rest of your retort is your reason for having an affinity for express bus service....

- Yeah right, you don't think the MTA understands racial politics??? Quite sure they're already aware of communal preferences when it comes to these routes....

LOL... It wouldn't be the only route with racial politics... Why would QM15 riders use the QM16 or QM17 anyway?

LOL... It wouldn't be the only route with racial politics... Why would QM15 riders use the QM16 or QM17 anyway?

For your other post, I edited my last reply before I saw this recent post.....

As for this reply, yeah, of course not..... and to the question, It isn't so much about QM15 riders, as much as it's about the folks that live deeper/further south in Howard Beach (the 15 goes no further south than 157th, and empties out in Lindenwood anyway).... These are the ones that aren't putting up with the 50 million stops along Woodhaven, and are taking QM16/17's straight to 159th (they make no stops along Woodhaven).... Some of them park in the KFC parking lot, some of them have rides waiting for them as they come off the bus, and of course, some walk to their houses if they're close enough....

I like how you keep moving the goalpost.... I thought you disagreed with my impression that the BxM10 doesn't carry well after certain times.... Now you're telling me that they're not like rush hour trips & that those later trips still see usage.... Fact of the matter is, you are not gonna get me to believe that there aren't any BxM10 trips that carry air, because I have seen empty trips on that route well past rush hour with my own two eyes.... The later trips don't have to be crowded like rush hour buses; I wasn't implicating that they even had to be.... Who was disputing that anyway....

The rest of your retort is your reason for having an affinity for express bus service....

If you want to call my thinking that far out/isolated communities (i.e. Riverdale, Howard Beach, Gerritsen Beach, Woodlawn, etc.) should have good transportation to and from Manhattan an "affinity" with express buses, then that's fine.  I support increased Metro-North service for those communities as well that have seen an increase in that service.

As for the BxM10, yes I do disagree with the notion that it doesn't carry well, but then again who knows what your idea of carrying well is?  I would say that if an express bus gets 10 - 15 passengers going to Manhattan at 22:00, that's carrying well for an express bus.

If you want to call my thinking that far out/isolated communities (i.e. Riverdale, Howard Beach, Gerritsen Beach, Woodlawn, etc.) should have good transportation to and from Manhattan an "affinity" with express buses, then that's fine.  I support increased Metro-North service for those communities as well that have seen an increase in that service.

As for the BxM10, yes I do disagree with the notion that it doesn't carry well, but then again who knows what your idea of carrying well is?  

I would say that if an express bus gets 10 - 15 passengers going to Manhattan at 22:00, that's carrying well for an express bus.

- Spare me the drama king stuff, don't resort to sensationalizing it by bringing up specific communities.... You have an affinity for express bus service.... There isn't a single person on this forum that would disagree with that basic fact, the way you talk about express buses.... For you to sit here & not come to grips to that is flat out denial.... It isn't even something you should be ashamed of, so I don't really know why you're coming with the whole "If you want to call...." bit.

- ...except I said nothing about carrying well in my original post, so I didn't have to opinionate on what I deem so.... You got defensive because I said there are BxM10 trips that carry air.... Let's go with your definition of carrying well (for an express) - There is no way in hell that those trips around 22:00 carry that many people (especially consistently), in either direction.... For you to convey otherwise is a blatant lie....

What it really is, is that you don't want it to be put to the forefront that there are express buses that carry air whilst in service (yeah, they do have MTA reps scouring these forums, it's no secret).... This isn't the first time you came to the proverbial rescue for an express bus whenever someone mentions an express bus carrying air, and of course it won't be the last...

Sorry, but the MTA already knows this... That's also no secret, as much as you may not like it to be put out there....

Your whole argument to me about my BxM10 comment would hold water if I said those later trips should be cut....

I said no such thing (and still don't want them to be cut, despite whatever you got conjured up in your mind), no matter how much you want to conveniently inject into this discussion, or ignore what I implicitly stated.... Tired of you tryna throw me into the express bus hater camp on the sly....

The BxM10 I had to use quite a lot over the past few weeks (paid transportation, woot) and I can tell you straight up that there are more trips that carry air than there are trips that actually carry a load, the trips that carry loads are usually during the rush hours but other than that, Manhattan Bound Service after 7PM...there's legitimately like a handful or so folks on that bus. I was on a trip this past Thursday that carried like 7 people (including myself) in total to Manhattan.

The BxM10 I had to use quite a lot over the past few weeks (paid transportation, woot) and I can tell you straight up that there are more trips that carry air than there are trips that actually carry a load, the trips that carry loads are usually during the rush hours but other than that, Manhattan Bound Service after 7PM...there's legitimately like a handful or so folks on that bus. I was on a trip this past Thursday that carried like 7 people (including myself) in total to Manhattan.

Nothing wrong with that... I think it also depends on the weather too... When it's colder, the express buses during off hours can be light sometimes, but other times I'm surprised by the loads.  

- Spare me the drama king stuff, don't resort to sensationalizing it by bringing up specific communities.... You have an affinity for express bus service.... There isn't a single person on this forum that would disagree with that basic fact, the way you talk about express buses.... For you to sit here & not come to grips to that is flat out denial.... It isn't even something you should be ashamed of, so I don't really know why you're coming with the whole "If you want to call...." bit.

- ...except I said nothing about carrying well in my original post, so I didn't have to opinionate on what I deem so.... You got defensive because I said there are BxM10 trips that carry air.... Let's go with your definition of carrying well (for an express) - There is no way in hell that those trips around 22:00 carry that many people (especially consistently), in either direction.... For you to convey otherwise is a blatant lie....

What it really is, is that you don't want it to be put to the forefront that there are express buses that carry air whilst in service (yeah, they do have MTA reps scouring these forums, it's no secret).... This isn't the first time you came to the proverbial rescue for an express bus whenever someone mentions an express bus carrying air, and of course it won't be the last...

Sorry, but the MTA already knows this... That's also no secret, as much as you may not like it to be put out there....

Your whole argument to me about my BxM10 comment would hold water if I said those later trips should be cut....

I said no such thing (and still don't want them to be cut, despite whatever you got conjured up in your mind), no matter how much you want to conveniently inject into this discussion, or ignore what I implicitly stated.... Tired of you tryna throw me into the express bus hater camp on the sly....

Well I'm one of the few people on this forum who commutes via the express bus every day that can understand the importance of the buses.  I don't consider them a luxury like others do.  I look at them just like local buses in that sometimes trips will carry well and other times not so well.  Hell like I said I've been on empty LIRR trains too and light Metro-North trains. Nevertheless I wouldn't cut those services either.  In short I've always been pro service unless I feel that it's too much service.  Now a line that I use regularly on Saturdays is the BxM11 for my tutoring sessions.  If you want to talk about a line carrying air, those evening trips back to the city, sometimes I'm the only on the bus when we reach the last stop at Pelham Parkway.  However, there are some trips that carry okay.  Nevertheless, i wouldn't call for those buses to be cut back because I know what a PITA it is on the subway and how long that commute is, plus the trips back to Wakefield generally carry well, as there are a lot of people that get off in Pelham Parkway, so might as well keep them rather than let them deadhead to the city.

Nothing wrong with that... I think it also depends on the weather too... When it's colder, the express buses during off hours can be light sometimes, but other times I'm surprised by the loads.  

Well I'm one of the few people on this forum who commutes via the express bus every day that can understand the importance of the buses.  I don't consider them a luxury like others do.  I look at them just like local buses in that sometimes trips will carry well and other times not so well.  Hell like I said I've been on empty LIRR trains too and light Metro-North trains. Nevertheless I wouldn't cut those services either.  In short I've always been pro service unless I feel that it's too much service.  Now a line that I use regularly on Saturdays is the BxM11 for my tutoring sessions.  If you want to talk about a line carrying air, those evening trips back to the city, sometimes I'm the only on the bus when we reach the last stop at Pelham Parkway.  However, there are some trips that carry okay.  Nevertheless, i wouldn't call for those buses to be cut back because I know what a PITA it is on the subway and how long that commute is, plus the trips back to Wakefield generally carry well, as there are a lot of people that get off in Pelham Parkway, so might as well keep them rather than let them deadhead to the city.

Ok you win that is good logic BUT what if those inbound bxm11s were shifted to stronger routes like bxm9,8 or 7 then returned to the bronx as bxm11 trips that do carry kinda throwing a wrench in that argument.

Ok you win that is good logic BUT what if those inbound bxm11s were shifted to stronger routes like bxm9,8 or 7 then returned to the bronx as bxm11 trips that do carry kinda throwing a wrench in that argument.

In all fairness, it seems as if whenever I'm traveling back to the city from the Pelham Parkway area on the BxM11, the weather is always deplorable.  Ridership is much stronger on that line when the weather is pleasant and we've had a rough and long winter.  The other day when I returned on the BxM11, it was pouring so naturally the only people that would be on the bus is people that needed to go somewhere.  

I have not posted in an eternity, but here are my thoughts on the 2013 bus statistics (specifically for the Bronx).

-Bx12: its gains do not surprise me thanks to the areas it serves (commercial areas in Fordham and Bay Plaza and the strong residential portions of Pelham Parkway and University Heights).

-Bx15: I am part of the chorus who expected a larger gain for the Bx15 following its absorption of the Bx55 in June 2013. But I think the bunching of the Bx15, the Select Bus Service on the nearby Bx41 and the many crosstown options also contribute to this.

-Bx6: my home route. A lot of the new housing near 3rd and Melrose Avenues contribute to it hitting near 7.5 million annual riders.

-Bx22: it has been losing riders every year for the past few years. It surprises me because it serves big commercial areas like Fordham, big residential areas in Parkchester, Bronx Park East and Castle Hill, and the educational mile along Goulden Avenue. Not to mention it is one of the few Bronx routes that travels from the Southeastern part of the borough (i.e. Castle Hill, Parkchester, Soundview) to the northwestern part (i.e. Fordham, Kingsbridge, Bedford Park).

-Bx39: its extension to Wakefield has done wonders for this route. I know there are some here who still want the Bx41 to run to 241st, but the Bx39 has done pretty well since its extension (and not to mention, the Bx41 does not bunch as it once did a few years ago).

-Bx21: I forgot to mention that due to the bunching of the Bx15, the Bx21 has picked up a very good deal of riders south of 163rd Street (with most of them heading to/from the 149th St/3rd Av (2)(5) station). And like the Bx6, the new housing between 163rd and 156th Streets plays a pivotal role in this.

-Bx13: picked up a good gain thanks to the extension to Bronx Terminal Market.

In all fairness, it seems as if whenever I'm traveling back to the city from the Pelham Parkway area on the BxM11, the weather is always deplorable. Ridership is much stronger on that line when the weather is pleasant and we've had a rough and long winter. The other day when I returned on the BxM11, it was pouring so naturally the only people that would be on the bus is people that needed to go somewhere.

I'm surprised at the BxM2 I thought its ridership was much higher than what it is now. What would cause the BxM7 to lose so much ridership. It was basically the X1 of the Bronx and I know for a fact Co-op City uses their routes good.

I've always thought that the fare for the express bus should decrease no more than 50 cents just so maybe more people are willing to take it. $12 is a lot to spend on a bus to go to the city and back so is $11 but at least people might consider using them especially in some areas who have families of lower income like Rosedale, Jamaica, Spring Creek and so on. Many people want to save money and hey if you can travel to where you wanna go and back for only $5 why not it sure beats paying $12. I wonder how many people will take the express buses in the areas I just mentioned above if the fare is $7 or $8. Looks like routes will literally carry air while our subway continues to get more crowded.

I'm surprised at the BxM2 I thought its ridership was much higher than what it is now. What would cause the BxM7 to lose so much ridership. It was basically the X1 of the Bronx and I know for a fact Co-op City uses their routes good.

I've always thought that the fare for the express bus should decrease no more than 50 cents just so maybe more people are willing to take it. $12 is a lot to spend on a bus to go to the city and back so is $11 but at least people might consider using them especially in some areas who have families of lower income like Rosedale, Jamaica, Spring Creek and so on. Many people want to save money and hey if you can travel to where you wanna go and back for only $5 why not it sure beats paying $12. I wonder how many people will take the express buses in the areas I just mentioned above if the fare is $7 or $8. Looks like routes will literally carry air while our subway continues to get more crowded.

Both the BxM1 and BxM2 have ridership that fluctuates a lot.  A lot of people flip flop between the two depending on where they're at.  As for Riverdale itself, Riverdale like every neighborhood in the city was hit hard by the recession.   Unemployment remained relatively low here but some people were still affected by it and so that combined with the terrible traffic caused ridership to drop.  The local economy here continues to improve, so I expect the same will happen with express bus ridership here.  Riverdale also has a ton of co-ops and some luxury condos, and there's always a cycle of Manhattanites and college students moving in and moving out.  Here we have the Columbia University luxury apartments, and several other private colleges.  I find Hunter College to be a draw as well on the BxM1, so for that reason ridership can go and up down a lot.  I expect ridership to stabilize on both lines though based on what I've been seeing.  Some new regulars and some old faces and few non regulars riding here and there.  The BxM18 probably has the most regulars out of the three express bus lines.

As for Co-Op City in the Bronx, it is not upper middle class and affluent like Riverdale is.  You won't find mansions there like you do in Riverdale, as it is middle class at best.  Housing from my understanding there is fairly cheap and there were a lot of people laid off up there in that part of the Bronx.  Therefore ridership has dropped a ton. Co-Op City is a majority black neighborhood, and the unemployment rate amongst blacks in the city is at least double that of whites, so it isn't too surprising to see the ridership decreases experienced on the BxM7.  Demographics and economic standing sometimes can have a huge impact on ridership patterns on express buses.

Per citydata.com, the median income in Riverdale is about $83,000, with the high income earners well over $100,000 - 200,000 a year while the median rents are close to $1,500 and up.  In Co-Op City the median income is barely $50,000, while the average rent is barely over $600, so the income gap is quite substantial.  The unemployment level in Riverdale is also low, while in Co-Op City it is much higher, probably double or triple of what Riverdale's unemployment level is.

Rosedale and Jamaica people have express service it's the LIRR. plus transferring from a subway to an express bus even on a monthly has a step up charge of $3.50 so the fare for occasional express riders actually dropped as they mostly have unlimited cards that aren't xbus plus.

Rosedale and Jamaica people have express service it's the LIRR. plus transferring from a subway to an express bus even on a monthly has a step up charge of $3.50 so the fare for occasional express riders actually dropped as they mostly have unlimited cards that aren't xbus plus.

The LIRR fare is more than 1.5 times the cost of the express bus, has crappy frequencies outside of Jamaica Station, requires transfer to additional services (since CBD employment is north and east of Penn), and this is for a train that is usually completely full by the time it hits Jamaica during the peak. Please stop saying that commuter rail is a substitute for the express bus, because it's not.

All I just said was how I believe $6 was too much for an express bus and maybe a 50 cents decrease may attract some people. $6 is a lot for people who work in the city and can't afford to constantly pay $12 a day. Then QJT turns around and says how people in rosedale and Jamaica have the LIRR but where is the common sense? If people don't use the QM21 X63, QM18, X64 and so on what makes you think they want to pay more for the LIRR which is already packed and only has a few stops which means people have to travel to those few stations. Now I know why people don't understand things because they don't read and use logics.

All I just said was how I believe $6 was too much for an express bus and maybe a 50 cents decrease may attract some people. $6 is a lot for people who work in the city and can't afford to constantly pay $12 a day. Then QJT turns around and says how people in rosedale and Jamaica have the LIRR but where is the common sense? If people don't use the QM21 X63, QM18, X64 and so on what makes you think they want to pay more for the LIRR which is already packed and only has a few stops which means people have to travel to those few stations. Now I know why people don't understand things because they don't read and use logics.

One of the main reasons why I ignore his posts...

I've been giving this some thought... I think the (MTA) should really think about how much they raise the fares during the next round of fare increases because while subway ridership may be booming, I think they're going to hurt their commuter services, particularly MNRR, LIRR and the express bus.  The economy has started to recover yet the ridership numbers aside from the subway generally indicate ridership loses and I suspect that some of that has to be due to the rising fares.  I honestly don't think about the cost since I just buy unlimited passes for the express bus but some folks have tight budgets and simply can't afford what was previously a luxury in their case.  The one area where I feel they're losing ridership is with seniors, particularly those that would ride the express bus, MNRR or LIRR.  They should extend the times in which seniors can receive discounts to encourage more ridership on commuter services.

After 7? I was talking around 8-9pm when I would be seeing empty BxM10's..... Hell, if that's the case, then things are worse than I thought......

Well I'm one of the few people on this forum who commutes via the express bus every day that can understand the importance of the buses.  I don't consider them a luxury like others do.  I look at them just like local buses in that sometimes trips will carry well and other times not so well.  Hell like I said I've been on empty LIRR trains too and light Metro-North trains. Nevertheless I wouldn't cut those services either.  In short I've always been pro service unless I feel that it's too much service.  

Now a line that I use regularly on Saturdays is the BxM11 for my tutoring sessions.  If you want to talk about a line carrying air, those evening trips back to the city, sometimes I'm the only on the bus when we reach the last stop at Pelham Parkway.  However, there are some trips that carry okay.  Nevertheless, i wouldn't call for those buses to be cut back because I know what a PITA it is on the subway and how long that commute is, plus the trips back to Wakefield generally carry well, as there are a lot of people that get off in Pelham Parkway, so might as well keep them rather than let them deadhead to the city.

First part of the post is not news to anyone on here.... You said some of this in other posts.... Been got all that....

Second part of the post.... Well, it took you long enough to admit, in any form, since you been on this forum, that there are in fact trips on  express buses that carry air at times... 

I have not posted in an eternity, but here are my thoughts on the 2013 bus statistics (specifically for the Bronx).

-Bx12: its gains do not surprise me thanks to the areas it serves (commercial areas in Fordham and Bay Plaza and the strong residential portions of Pelham Parkway and University Heights).

-Bx15: I am part of the chorus who expected a larger gain for the Bx15 following its absorption of the Bx55 in June 2013. But I think the bunching of the Bx15, the Select Bus Service on the nearby Bx41 and the many crosstown options also contribute to this.

-Bx6: my home route. A lot of the new housing near 3rd and Melrose Avenues contribute to it hitting near 7.5 million annual riders.

-Bx22: it has been losing riders every year for the past few years. It surprises me because it serves big commercial areas like Fordham, big residential areas in Parkchester, Bronx Park East and Castle Hill, and the educational mile along Goulden Avenue. Not to mention it is one of the few Bronx routes that travels from the Southeastern part of the borough (i.e. Castle Hill, Parkchester, Soundview) to the northwestern part (i.e. Fordham, Kingsbridge, Bedford Park).

-Bx39: its extension to Wakefield has done wonders for this route. I know there are some here who still want the Bx41 to run to 241st, but the Bx39 has done pretty well since its extension (and not to mention, the Bx41 does not bunch as it once did a few years ago).

-Bx21: I forgot to mention that due to the bunching of the Bx15, the Bx21 has picked up a very good deal of riders south of 163rd Street (with most of them heading to/from the 149th St/3rd Av (2)(5) station). And like the Bx6, the new housing between 163rd and 156th Streets plays a pivotal role in this.

-Bx13: picked up a good gain thanks to the extension to Bronx Terminal Market.

- Bx21... There was this hobby shop I used to go to along 3rd av (over in the 150's; short walk from the hub) called armada's collectibles... Never could figure out why I would see as many packed 21's on the saturdays I used to go up there... I always thought of the Bx21 as a route that accumulated enough riders along the drawn out routing it has, enough for it to stay afloat... Never saw it as a route that would be subjected to constant/increased crowding/a sought after route to that magnitude.... Nonetheless, good for that route.

- With the Bx22, it's been losing riders to the Bx9 in Fordham for quite some time now... I think riders done figured out that the Bx9 is more reliable, and thus are taking the subway to the 9, than for the 22....

- With the Bx39, I won't beat a dead horse as far as how I feel about the swap... All I'm gonna say (in regards to your comment) is that, yeah, Bx41's aren't bunching as much, and that's a good thing.... However, the Bx39 done inherited that bunching problem....

After 7? I was talking around 8-9pm when I would be seeing empty BxM10's..... Hell, if that's the case, then things are worse than I thought......

First part of the post is not news to anyone on here.... You said some of this in other posts.... Been got all that....

Second part of the post.... Well, it took you long enough to admit, in any form, since you been on this forum, that there are in fact trips on  express buses that carry air at times... 

I've admitted it plenty of times before, and I've also said that I've used other services that carry air (i.e. late night LIRR trains to NYC).  My point has always been that it isn't just express buses but other services as well, and therefore if folks are going to talk about how some express bus trips carry air, then they should at least admit that this is the case with other services as well.  I wouldn't expect any service to always carry people because there are many reasons why they won't (i.e. weather, time of year - holidays, etc.) If anything I'd say it's perfectly normal.  What irks me is the notion that somehow it's only express buses that have this "phenomenon".

I think people talk about express services carrying more because express buses are the easiest to cut Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I agree, but I also don't understand why people think they're a "luxury"? Without them certain neighborhoods wouldn't be nearly as accessible or attractive for people to consider living in.  They often times fill a void that the subway or commuter trains can't fill because of their versatility.  There is no way in hell that people would be as ready to move to Riverdale if it didn't have the express bus service that it is has because the local bus to the (1) train is long, unreliable and a pain in the @ss and Metro-North only gives you access to Grand Central.  Many people in Riverdale work on the Upper East or Upper West Side and other areas that aren't conveniently close to Metro-North.  Even for me I have used Metro-North late at night (luckily I was in the vicinity of GCT otherwise it wouldn't be worth it), but that was only because the express bus wasn't running.  Late at night, the Hudson Rail Link stops running, which means you have to either walk up the steep hills or stairs to get home or try to get a cab to pick you up at the station, both of which aren't that convenient and taking the (1) train to the bus is a joke when only the Bx10 runs late at night and it's only hourly at that.

Archived