Man Dies After Shooting On MTA Bus In Bedford-Stuyvesant

BreeddekalbL

post-5097-0-59365100-1395406307_thumb.jpg
A 14-year-old fiend turned a city bus into a murder scene in the flash of a gun Thursday when his bullet meant for a rival killed an innocent Brooklyn dad instead, sources said. Angel Rojas, 39, was sitting on the :bus_bullet_b15: when the kid shot up the bus at about 6:20 p.m. at Marcus Garvey Blvd. near Greene Ave. in Bedford-Stuyvesant, cops said. Rojas, the married father of two, was shot in the back of the head. Police took the teen, identified by relatives as Kahton Anderson, into custody and recovered a gun and six shells, cops said. The alleged killer and some other teens were in the rear of Brooklyn-to-JFK bus No. 4184 when an apparent rival boarded and started walking toward them, sources said.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-59365100-1395406307_thumb.jpg

Damn, my condolences to the dead man's family.

We need plain clothed police officers on the buses, spread out, kinda what NJT does, on these buses, the current amount of law enforcement on buses is just not enough. Although it would be costly, something needs to be looked into. You don't see it every day, but still, something needs to be looked into (in that case).

Harold and others ran or hit the deck. He said the problem in general in the neighborhood is young people with no recreation, time on their hands – and guns in their hands too.

Very funny.... I bet he wouldn't have said it like that if one of those bullets had hit him....

Problem I have with that general point of view is that it's a half-truth; doesn't tell the whole story.... Despite the fact that there aren't jobs for the youngsters out here, you have us (early) 80's babies and older that go out & put the bugs in the ears of these younger cats out here, as a means of rebellion (crabs in the barrel type think, if you wanna look at it that way)..... Rebellion that the youngsters today could give two shits about - Go out there & stick it to the man, since y'all don't wanna provide us with jobs.... Problem with us black folk is that we too busy jackin, shootin, and killin each other - in the areas we reside in, at that.... Which isn't making, and has NEVER made a god damn statement to the man at all......

Now I'm not sayin that that's what took place in this incident, I'm only commenting on this quote from that linked article in the OP....

In plain old english, the youngsters inherited this mindset from somewhere....Shit isn't intrinsic (as said quote might lead one to believe)....

-------

Now with that said... As for the incident itself, I'm not sure what else to say except, what the f*** is goin on as of late.... I don't know if it's all magnified (being that we're on a transit forum) or what, but there are simply too many incidents going on, on these trains & buses...... I'd go as far as to say it's all one too many.....

I think it's extremely troubling that you have 14 year old's walking around with a loaded weapon... Under Bloomberg, the NYPD went on the offensive to get guns off of the streets (i.e. buyback program)... Seems like de Blasio is taking this city backwards one day at a time... 

Could always spend thier time studying. Actually try to be a good student, get good grades, go on to nicer higher schools and be able to get a really good job when they get old enough.

These kids today want everything handed to them... Lazy lazy lazy, not to mention wanting to live the fast life.  I have to say that while my generation has its issues, there is an understanding of having to work hard to be successful.  I don't know where we're going in this country anymore... Kids need to be pampered to death.  

I think it's extremely troubling that you have 14 year old's walking around with a loaded weapon... Under Bloomberg, the NYPD went on the offensive to get guns off of the streets (i.e. buyback program)... Seems like de Blasio is taking this city backwards one day at a time... 

You can't be serious, he's been in office for 3 and a half months....

You can't be serious, he's been in office for 3 and a half months....

Yep, and his approval rating is in the tank...

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2014/03/mayor-de-blasios-approval-ratings-drop-in-new-poll-0

It's similar to results in a Marist poll out earlier this month, which found only 39 percent of voters thought he was doing a "good" or "excellent" job. A Quinnipiac poll from January had de Blasio with a 53-13 percent approval rating.

Could always spend thier time studying. Actually try to be a good student, get good grades, go on to nicer higher schools and be able to get a really good job when they get old enough.

Yeah but there is no one who cares. No one is pushing them to do better. The parents have this child like mentality and when their kids grow up they develop that mentality as well. If you are not taught the right way from the beginning it's going to be hard to learn later on. It's just like having manners. If your parents did not have manners most likely you would not as well.

I noticed with black folks shoots happen between one another. No one on the outside really cares.

They don't care if we live in poverty or kill one another because it has no effect on them. It's pretty sad that it's like this but that's what happens when a good example is not shown.

Yeah but there is no one who cares. No one is pushing them to do better. The parents have this child like mentality and when their kids grow up they develop that mentality as well. If you are not taught the right way from the beginning it's going to be hard to learn later on. It's just like having manners. If your parents did not have manners most likely you would not as well.

I noticed with black folks shoots happen between one another. No one on the outside really cares.

They don't care if we live in poverty or kill one another because it has no effect on them. It's pretty sad that it's like this but that's what happens when a good example is not shown.

Babies having babies....

This was my point, and you expounded on it in the rest of your post here too... Thank you.

Babies having babies....

This.... and sadly, it's gonna get worse.... You already have folks my age (32) that are damn grandparents!

Smear campaign. The man hasn't even touched on the topic of illegal guns yet and he's being criticized.

This kid obviously picked up the gun from some local gangbangers from whatever neck of the woods he lives in. Like the movie Clockers. Young kid manages to get a gun (very easily) and takes out a fairly notorious drug dealer with it.

I'm pretty sure the NYPD is still open to taking your guns away if you bring them to the precinct. Some brothers just feel the need to pack heat because of their lifestyle and current situation. A "street-smart" person is not going to always carry it on his person because of stop-and-frisk. How else could numbers be so low when it comes to finding weapons on people? It hasn't worked, period. Things happen when you least expect them.

Anyway, this isn't going to stop until conditions improve in impoverished areas. Until people like him have a fighting chance at getting out of the projects and actually making something out of themselves it's not stopping anytime soon. I work with kids who live in the projects as part of the Police Athletic League. All they need is the encouragement to not fall prey to the chaos around them. Of course, there's that stigma of being from the projects, you know...

I think the projects were the wrong idea. When they had the choice the poor should have had subsidized houses scattered about middle class neighborhoods.

The concentration of poverty is a great hindrance to a positive mentality or motivation to success (where success is doing better than just getting by). If you're in the projects there you're around so few that are flourishing, by its nature talent immediately leaves the area and does not make in-roads to the neighborhood but rather deprives the area of talent and opportunity.

Smear campaign. The man hasn't even touched on the topic of illegal guns yet and he's being criticized.

This kid obviously picked up the gun from some local gangbangers from whatever neck of the woods he lives in. Like the movie Clockers. Young kid manages to get a gun (very easily) and takes out a fairly notorious drug dealer with it.

I'm pretty sure the NYPD is still open to taking your guns away if you bring them to the precinct. Some brothers just feel the need to pack heat because of their lifestyle and current situation. A "street-smart" person is not going to always carry it on his person because of stop-and-frisk. How else could numbers be so low when it comes to finding weapons on people? It hasn't worked, period. Things happen when you least expect them.

Anyway, this isn't going to stop until conditions improve in impoverished areas. Until people like him have a fighting chance at getting out of the projects and actually making something out of themselves it's not stopping anytime soon. I work with kids who live in the projects as part of the Police Athletic League. All they need is the encouragement to not fall prey to the chaos around them. Of course, there's that stigma of being from the projects, you know...

LOL... Listen de Blasio has done a lot of the damage himself... He's constantly 35 - 40 minutes LATE to his own events... Completely arrogant to show up "whenever". You talk about him not even getting around to tackling guns because he hasn't been in office long enough, but at the same time, he's trying to destroy charter schools in minority neighborhoods where kids are flourishing!  Explain that one.  In a way he's contributing to the problem of not giving kids from the projects, etc. a fighting chance, as education is most certainly a way out.

I think the projects were the wrong idea. When they had the choice the poor should have had subsidized houses scattered about middle class neighborhoods.

The concentration of poverty is a great hindrance to a positive mentality or motivation to success (where success is doing better than just getting by). If you're in the projects there you're around so few that are flourishing, by its nature talent immediately leaves the area and does not make in-roads to the neighborhood but rather deprives the area of talent and opportunity.

if the projects were scattered around wealthier areas it would give young people something to strive for but if all they see is poverty then they don't care and poverty creates violence which is why the wealthy want nothing to do with the poor.

both of you make excellent points.

Gang-related? I think that the bullet was meant for someone else---and projects are just up the street.

Quoting myself---but according to Gothamist, the 14-year old punk Kahton Anderson, while not from the projects up the street, was from the projects along Marcy Avenue by Park Avenue (the B44/SBS passes by this development at the top of Nostrand Avenue) and a member of a gang there, the Stack Money Goons. The intended target was on the bus. Anderson tried to get back on the bus to fire more shots, but the driver sped off before pulling over at the next stop.

http://gothamist.com/2014/03/22/14-yr-old_charged_with_murder_for_k.php

As per Miller v. Alabama, Anderson is too young to face life without parole. However, he needs to be hit with the maximum of 15 to life. (Trial as an adult is automatic in New York for anyone 13 and over charged with murder, and has been since 1978.)

BTW, as for murders in 2014, the murder rate for this year is down 20 percent according to Compstat (compared to 2013); they are just happening in weirder places.

Archived