SEPTA

pjbr40

SEPTA has the most inefficient subway system I've ever taken and and even more confusing bus system!!! I'm not sure how many people over here in NYC Transit Forums have ever used SEPTA's bus, subway, or commuter rail system, but the commuter rail isn't what it used to be ever since the PRR, the RDG, and later Conrail ran it until the early 80's, the subway is nothing more than a relic of the 1920's and the bus system doesn't even make any sense.

Some of the bus lines are confusing in that some routes use letter designations (i. e. the J via Lindley Ave, the X and XH in NW Phila, and the former C via Broad St), the subway-surface lines use the same number designations as the regular bus lines, and there are bus lines which don't even link to major destinations, forcing riders to use an extra transfer (the 60 from Richmond-Westmoreland ends at 35th-Allegheny when it could be extended to Wissahickon Transportation Center and the 23, which was split into two lines and should've been restored as a trolley), and other lines which take too long to reach it's destination (the 26 from Chelten and Germantown to Frankford TC makes a lot of turns in NE Phila and the 89 passes through a lot of the MFL stations).

The subway system could be a lot bigger than what it currently is. All that's needed to do is to use the Airport, Norristown, Chestnut Hill, Fox Chase, and another line parallel to the Trenton Line, and provide local subway service to SW, NW, and NE Phila. The commuter rail, however, should be the easiest system to restore, since you still have the ROW's mostly intact in a lot of places such as the Bethlehem, Reading, West Chester, and Oxford, PA branches. If these plans fell into place than what Philadelphia currently has, SEPTA could've had a system comparable to NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, and even Miami. What Philadelphians have to go through is complete transit hell!!!

SEPTA has the most inefficient subway system I've ever taken and and even more confusing bus system!!! I'm not sure how many people over here in NYC Transit Forums have ever used SEPTA's bus, subway, or commuter rail system, but the commuter rail isn't what it used to be ever since the PRR, the RDG, and later Conrail ran it until the early 80's, the subway is nothing more than a relic of the 1920's and the bus system doesn't even make any sense.

Some of the bus lines are confusing in that some routes use letter designations (i. e. the J via Lindley Ave, the X and XH in NW Phila, and the former C via Broad St), the subway-surface lines use the same number designations as the regular bus lines, and there are bus lines which don't even link to major destinations, forcing riders to use an extra transfer (the 60 from Richmond-Westmoreland ends at 35th-Allegheny when it could be extended to Wissahickon Transportation Center and the 23, which was split into two lines and should've been restored as a trolley), and other lines which take too long to reach it's destination (the 26 from Chelten and Germantown to Frankford TC makes a lot of turns in NE Phila and the 89 passes through a lot of the MFL stations).

The subway system could be a lot bigger than what it currently is. All that's needed to do is to use the Airport, Norristown, Chestnut Hill, Fox Chase, and another line parallel to the Trenton Line, and provide local subway service to SW, NW, and NE Phila. The commuter rail, however, should be the easiest system to restore, since you still have the ROW's mostly intact in a lot of places such as the Bethlehem, Reading, West Chester, and Oxford, PA branches. If these plans fell into place than what Philadelphia currently has, SEPTA could've had a system comparable to NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, and even Miami. What Philadelphians have to go through is complete transit hell!!!

You should post up that list of improvements from the Railroad.net forums and we can have a serious discussion about subway expansion.

I've got a couple ideas myself... ;)

It ain't that difficult to accustomed is similar to here just that it uses less train lines buses are less amount. ..also the most important bus routes are 24/7

Don't forget that SEPTA connects with NJT (although this connection is obsolete as many would rather take the river line and pay $1.60 instead of a$10 ride)

30th street station is a very major hub for trains but market street is considered the km 0 of philly

You should post up that list of improvements from the Railroad.net forums and we can have a serious discussion about subway expansion.

I've got a couple ideas myself... ;)

Let me hear them.

It ain't that difficult to accustomed is similar to here just that it uses less train lines buses are less amount. ..also the most important bus routes are 24/7

Don't forget that SEPTA connects with NJT (although this connection is obsolete as many would rather take the river line and pay $1.60 instead of a$10 ride)

30th street station is a very major hub for trains but market street is considered the km 0 of philly

Wrong that connection brings mercer county NJT riders to destinations in bucks county.  And riverline is useless for those in NE philly and lower bucks needing new jersey destinations. Many are not going to 30th.

Well i would asume a regular bus ride to market st and then a separate fare to the train to camden then the river line to Trenton. ..total fare would be $5.50

30Th street station is much of an abandoned hub station. ..remember back in 03 when i went to philly i assumed that the 30th station would be like Penn station of NYC but nothing the real station stop of centre Philadelphia is market st

I just hope that the SEPTA rail cash machine accepts single dollars i mean back then it only accepted bills over 5 ...now that's a bummer

Well i would asume a regular bus ride to market st and then a separate fare to the train to camden then the river line to Trenton. ..total fare would be $5.50

30Th street station is much of an abandoned hub station. ..remember back in 03 when i went to philly i assumed that the 30th station would be like Penn station of NYC but nothing the real station stop of centre Philadelphia is market st

I just hope that the SEPTA rail cash machine accepts single dollars i mean back then it only accepted bills over 5 ...now that's a bummer

Too bad get a pass SEPTA basically robs pay per ride suckers there are no free transfers. The passes are cheap SEPTA is the worst system for cash users do not bother.

Tell me about it ten years pass and it still does that tactic

Well at passes expense we get to win more rides

There is a new thing called SEPTA key which will allow you to pay with credit cards and smartphones so you won't need cash. For now it only works on buses,trolleys and subways ect that aren't regional rail(yet) .

• 1 month later...

SEPTA finally came out with a (PDF) version of a bus map.... I've been using a SEPTA bus tracker to find out where certain bus routes go (like the #127 out of Trenton I can never catch)..... In any event, time to start fanning these routes....

Anyway, Link to the map is HERE

I like the NYC (and NICE, SCT, Bee Line, TOR, etc) maps better. The contrast between the colors makes it easier to differentiate between routes. Even NJT has some color contrast on the few county maps that it has (granted, the Essex County map is like 90% orange Newark feeder lines since Newark is in Essex lol)

I like the NYC (and NICE, SCT, Bee Line, TOR, etc) maps better. The contrast between the colors makes it easier to differentiate between routes. Even NJT has some color contrast on the few county maps that it has (granted, the Essex County map is like 90% orange Newark feeder lines since Newark is in Essex lol)

I don't disagree with your points, but at the same time, I'm just ecstatic that I now have a (better) reference for/to utilize (fan) some of those routes.....

See, I did some S.Jersey fanning last week (sunday)... Rode PATCO & SEPTA (rail) for the second time (both of them, 2nd time), and I missed my NJT #409 by seconds..... Well, I believe I did, b/c as you know, their MCI's don't have the route # in the back, and as I was coming up the steps from the 8th/Market station, an NJT bus JUST left the stop on 8th st..... I waited at that stop for about 20 mins. & saw every other 400 route (that goes to philly) except the 409.... So by deduction, I missed that 409, and I was NOT waiting 2 hours for a 409 trenton (every other 409 goes the full distance)....

Long story short, I didn't know WTF else to (want to) fan... So I just said f*** it & took the R7 Trenton for the dreaded SEC back to (NY) Penn..... of course, by time I got to Jefferson station, I missed the 2:40 (or w/e it was) to Trenton, so I had to kill another 30-40 mins for the next train out (3:40 or w/e)......

In any event, I'll study/analyze this map over the week & come up with some itinerary for a fantrip one saturday next month..... Because although I like the 559 > 551 > 409 combo, I'm getting quite tired of it suicide.gif

LOL!

Long story short, I didn't know WTF else to (want to) fan... So I just said f*** it & took the R7 Trenton for the dreaded SEC back to (NY) Penn..... of course, by time I got to Jefferson station, I missed the 2:40 (or w/e it was) to Trenton, so I had to kill another 30-40 mins for the next train out (3:40 or w/e)......

In any event, I'll study/analyze this map over the week & come up with some itinerary for a fantrip one saturday next month..... Because although I like the 559 > 551 > 409 combo, I'm getting quite tired of it suicide.gif

LOL!

Is that SEC comment supposed to be a joke (Sh*tty East Corridor or something)? I know you're not wild about that line lol

In any case, I might recommend taking the #5 bus from Northern Liberties to Frankford, then the #66 to Frankford Knights Loop, then the #129 to Oxford Mall for the #127 to Trenton. (So four full routes) Might be a good way to maximize the amount of new areas covered (as opposed to starting and ending the Philly portion in Downtown Philly) and get yourself acquainted with a major hub. Offhand I can't think of any other Philly (area)-NJ routes offhand that cross the Delaware River outside of Downtown Philly.

Obviously, be sure to time yourself so you don't miss the last #127 (5:45PM out of Oxford Valley).

Looking at the #127 schedule, I'm curious if they're interlining at Oxford Valley Mall with one of the other routes. That route has some long layovers. Maybe on such an infrequent route like that, they time it with shift changes at some of the attractions it passes through.

Is that SEC comment supposed to be a joke (Sh*tty East Corridor or something)? I know you're not wild about that line lol

In any case, I might recommend taking the #5 bus from Northern Liberties to Frankford, then the #66 to Frankford Knights Loop, then the #129 to Oxford Mall for the #127 to Trenton. (So four full routes) Might be a good way to maximize the amount of new areas covered (as opposed to starting and ending the Philly portion in Downtown Philly) and get yourself acquainted with a major hub. Offhand I can't think of any other Philly (area)-NJ routes offhand that cross the Delaware River outside of Downtown Philly.

Obviously, be sure to time yourself so you don't miss the last #127 (5:45PM out of Oxford Valley).

Looking at the #127 schedule, I'm curious if they're interlining at Oxford Valley Mall with one of the other routes. That route has some long layovers. Maybe on such an infrequent route like that, they time it with shift changes at some of the attractions it passes through.

Inside joke (like the BxMC4 (for the BxM4c) one I created years ago)....

But yeah, I call it the Soreeast Corridor - I even said it to myself as soon as I got off the R7 (well, Trenton line) last week....

Anyway, I've actually thought about riding up to Neshaminy Mall (I've driven up there a couple times, but never took a bus there), so I'm somewhat familiar w/ that area... So maybe the #14 to the #5 is in order.... I also want to see the new Franklin Philadelphia Mills (aint been there in a while now), so the #20 is likely in order also.....

But generally, yeah, whenever you're venturing in unfamiliar or not-so-familiar territory, it's a good idea to acquaint yourself with a mall and/or an intermodal hub / major xfer point.... Maximize your options.... Then when you get a better feel for things, then you can venture out to the middle of nowhere (time permitting, of course)..... That's exactly how I attacked SCT (Suffolk) & CT Transit (Stamford)......

The only real problem is, getting out to Philly early enough to fan a shitload of routes, enough to have enough time to reasonably get back to NYC...... The first train to trenton from penn on the weekend leaves around 5:15 & get to TTC around 6:40 (took that train a couple times)... meaning I can get to downtown philly an hour later.... So, basically the 8am slot.... I like to start my fantrips in the wee hours of the morning anyway....

SEPTA finally came out with a (PDF) version of a bus map.... I've been using a SEPTA bus tracker to find out where certain bus routes go (like the #127 out of Trenton I can never catch)..... In any event, time to start fanning these routes....

Anyway, Link to the map is HERE

LOL They've had this map for ever... (I have physical copies of the 2009-10 and 2011-12 versions and a 1994 version of the Center City map)

Agreed. They also don't have the name of every single street which adds clutter.

The Suburban map is awful, because they try to fit the entire five county region in one map. I'd rather they go the MTA route and have separate maps for each county.

LOL They've had this map for ever... (I have physical copies of the 2009-10 and 2011-12 versions and a 1994 version of the Center City map)

They made the system map hard to find then; all I could find in years past was a blow-up of a center city map......

When riding SEPTA commuter trains, make sure you use the bathroom first: I learned the hard way their trains don't have bathrooms :(

Whenever I'm in center city, I always use the bathroom inside the Greyhound terminal.... The vending machines come in handy as well.

Archived