(Q) Train after 2nd Ave Subway Built

mine248

Sea Beach is long overdue for a rehab. And hopefully we never see a storm like Sandy to wash it out....

We should be alright. The CCC dashboard contracts posted on mta.info states that engineers are making the Sea Beach flood proof with special engineering measures during the rehab. This rehab is going to be massive and thats a understatement. Complete overhaul of all stations, infrastructure (Like the continuous benchwalls that contains the miles of track, concrete tie, throughout) and more. Its a project that makes the Culver Viaduct project look like a walk in the park. 

So when they finish (Just in time for the lines 100 year anniversary) its going to end up a masterpiece of engineering.

2015 is going to be a busy year with the start of the QBL CBTC project also to start next year.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should be alright. The CCC dashboard contracts posted on mta.info states that engineers are making the Sea Beach flood proof with special engineering measures during the rehab. This rehab is going to be massive and thats a understatement. Complete overhaul of all stations, infrastructure (Like the continuous benchwalls that contains the miles of track, concrete tie, throughout) and more. Its a project that makes the Culver Viaduct project look like a walk in the park. 

So when they finish (Just in time for the lines 100 year anniversary) its going to end up a masterpiece of engineering.

2015 is going to be a busy year with the start of the QBL CBTC project also to start next year.

I would be very curious as to how they manage it without floodgates at 86 Street and the portal west of 8 Avenue.

You missed the part about ONLY IF the Rockaway Beach Branch did get re-activated AND for Subway. As said, that is the big wild card in all of this.That's a grave misuse of the word "wildcard."Wild cards are things which may or may not happen. Rockaway branch being connected to the Queens Boulevard is NOT happening, so it can not be a wild card.Expanding on that:wildcard (noun): an uncontrolled or unpredictable elementYep. I think the Rockaway Beach Branch is well within the realm of predictability. It's about as predictable as a horse that loses 100% of the races it ever races in.

I know a horse that always loses in all the races or in this case debates it attempts in. Wallyhorse!!!

Jk

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

You missed the part about ONLY IF the Rockaway Beach Branch did get re-activated AND for Subway. As said, that is the big wild card in all of this.

As far as I'm concerned it's still not going to happen. You know that the train will have to run via the crowded Queens Blvd line and the whole Rockaway line will have to be built again. Where is the money coming from?

• 4 months later...

I would be not be suprised if they brought back the (W) running also down 4th avenue local and down the west end line to replace the (M). 4th avenue line is also a heavily used line

West End are a busy route during the summer months, so the (W) have two reasons to put back into service: (Q) Astoria service and rush hour (M) train service along West End.

Why not bring the (W) back as a local and run it from 57th-7th to Coney Island the same way the (Q) runs?

The (Q) via Second Ave. A replacement service must be done.

Agreed. It worked (the few (W) trains sent down the Sea Beach on rush hours for many reasons for the superintendents and T/Ds and the customers a win win) pre budget cuts. Id say split the service in the sense of as done before having some of the trains terminate at Whitehall, others at Kings Highway on the Sea Beach or CI even.Leave the (Q) as is to 2nd Ave at all times. (N) Express will have to be reinstated because of the added (W) local back in business to avoid major bunching at interlocking plus it will make the customers happy.

True.

Then there is the wild card to all of this, and that is IF (and a BIG IF) the Rockaway Beach Branch ever gets rebuilt as subway.  IF that happens, then what I think happens is this:

The (W) replaces the (R) along Queens Boulevard and runs Whitehall Street-Rockaway Park 24/7 (eliminating the Rockaway Park (S)).

The (R) and (D) swap terminals in Brooklyn with the (D) running 95th Street-205th and the (R) becoming 24/7 Coney Island via West End to Astoria (this so the (R) has CI yard since the (D) has Concourse yard).

The (N) runs to Astoria from 5:30 AM-10:00 PM on weekdays and the rest of the time supplements the (Q) to 96th Street-2nd Avenue.

The (M) becomes at least a 19/7 line to 71st-Continental (and possibly 24/7, which may be needed anyway for reasons unrelated to this).

That will get chaos and confusion.

Sure you can. The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 requires that new stations (whether that's brand new stations or complete rebuilds of existing ones) be ADA-compliant. While there are some exceptions to the rule and the MTA has been exempted in certain situations, there is nothing requiring the entire line to be completely ADA-compliant simply because a few new stations are being built along said line. If that was the case, when the island platform at South Ferry was built, the entire (1) line would've had to been upgraded to meet those ADA standards. There's a reason why the MTA has selected a hundred key stations to be ADA-accessible by the end of the decade. Upgrading them all would be financially impossible unless it was paid for by government funding and since the government is not required to pay for this, that won't happen.

I don't know about 181st and 168th. They are getting upgraded. But the 191st, it was upgraded and not an ADA elevator was placed.

What Fresh Meadows Yard? There is Fresh Pond but that is only for the (M). What is there to integrate they are basically the same thing the only exception is the BMT eastern division which is the (J)(M)(Z) and (L) which can only use 8 car 60 ft trains.

True, but that also stores the (C), which they use it in summer months.

"Mine248", there is a general rule of the internet to not dig up threads that have not been answered in a long time. It's called necroposting. Some sites have very strict polices on this, some are more informal, but 5 months quiet doesn't need responses.

One to two months is usually a fair number.

Archived