Q train service modification beginning December 2014

6 Lexington Ave

- The (A) skips a local stop, stops at an express stop, stops at an express stop, skips a local stop, stops at an express stop, stops at an express stop, skips a local stop, stops at an express stop, and stops at an express stop. Do you see a pattern there? 

To avoid confusion, leave it the way it is right now... The (A) fully local late-night is not going to be a problem!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extending the (M) to Queens Blvd isn't that great of an idea. The (R) should run local/shuttle from Queens, to Manhattan, just like you said. The (E) already serves <E> express along Queens Plaza and portions of Manhattan. The (M) extended TO QUEENS would just be a waste of time and $An (R) serving as a <R> Shuttle and runs local at the meantime would benefit some passengers. 

Well I guess I will have to be fair. The (V) was a dismal failure. Meanwhile the Williamsburg area is growing rapidly and ridership is high along the Jamaica BMT so a midtown option is the way to go. The reason the (KK) originally failed in 1968 was because of the economy during the construction of the Christie St cut and connection via the Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges. The manufacturing sector died in NYC so ridership dropped. But now Williamsburg is experiencing a major big time comeback.

But yeah us South Brooklyn riders got screwed good with the phasing out of the ( M ) . I think what they should have done (say the 2010 budget cuts never happened or the MTA receives a hypothetical surplus or government grant to increase or restore service) is this:

The need to extend the (J) and send it via Montague to Bay Ridge at least during rush hours. That would help the (R).

Otherwise yeah they need to extend the (R) at least to Court St late nights. It would be better. I mean late nights the (E) works as a late night IND Queens Bvld local, all they need to do is bump up the TPH late nights. The (F) should stay as is like the (D) on the IND CPW.

Well I guess I will have to be fair. The (V) was a dismal failure. Meanwhile the Williamsburg area is growing rapidly and ridership is high along the Jamaica BMT so a midtown option is the way to go. The reason the (KK) originally failed in 1968 was because of the economy during the construction of the Christie St cut and connection via the Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges. The manufacturing sector died in NYC so ridership dropped. But now Williamsburg is experiencing a major big time comeback.

But yeah us South Brooklyn riders got screwed good with the phasing out of the ( M ) . I think what they should have done (say the 2010 budget cuts never happened or the MTA receives a hypothetical surplus or government grant to increase or restore service) is this:

The need to extend the (J) and send it via Montague to Bay Ridge at least during rush hours. That would help the (R).

Otherwise yeah they need to extend the (R) at least to Court St late nights. It would be better. I mean late nights the (E) works as a late night IND Queens Bvld local, all they need to do is bump up the TPH late nights. The (F) should stay as is like the (D) on the IND CPW.

(R) to court st late nights would be better...It will allow the  (R) to make the connection at Atlantic Ave-Barclay Center

Someone mentioned this when the topic came up before theu said you need to send the (Z) somewhere to balance the schedule is this true or not

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I often take the (Q) between the hours of 12 midnight and 6 AM, and I honestly don't understand most arguments against making the (Q) a local train at night.  Nightlife areas such as the East Village, Chelsea, Murray Hill, NOMAD, and Hell's Kitchen draw a lot of party-goers out, and their respective stations (8th Street, 23rd Street, 28th Street, and 49th Street) are pretty crowded.  You can literally hear the frustration on a platform during the wee hours of the morning everytime a (Q) train flies by, meaning Brighton riders end up catching the following (Q) train 20 minutes later after transferring from an (N).  This can be so annoying that it's not uncommon for (Q) train riders to walk or cab it to express stops at night, which defeats the purpose of convenient 24-hour service.

The press release does a good job summarizing how the change will benefit (Q) riders.  I only wish that this would come sooner -- not looking forward to waiting 20-30 minutes on a humid platform when summer rolls along...

I often take the (Q) between the hours of 12 midnight and 6 AM, and I honestly don't understand most arguments against making the (Q) a local train at night.  Nightlife areas such as the East Village, Chelsea, Murray Hill, NOMAD, and Hell's Kitchen draw a lot of party-goers out, and their respective stations (8th Street, 23rd Street, 28th Street, and 49th Street) are pretty crowded.  You can literally hear the frustration on a platform during the wee hours of the morning everytime a (Q) train flies by, meaning Brighton riders end up catching the following (Q) train 20 minutes later after transferring from an (N).  This can be so annoying that it's not uncommon for (Q) train riders to walk or cab it to express stops at night, which defeats the purpose of convenient 24-hour service.

The press release does a good job summarizing how the change will benefit (Q) riders.  I only wish that this would come sooner -- not looking forward to waiting 20-30 minutes on a humid platform when summer rolls along...

Exactly. It really doesn't matter, as long as you're only taking the local or express to a shorter distance. Like for example, the (3) or (4) from either New Lots or Utica Avenues to either Downtown Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan.

Your proposed (J) extension was tried almost 50 years ago. Back in 1967 there was a rush hour service along that route called the RJ train which ran between Jamaica and 95th St. IIRC the crews who made that run were OT people and not regular (J) or (R) crews and the money paid out was not justified by the small ridership numbers. Before that there were  rush hour " Banker's Specials " on the 4th Avenue local and Brighton local which were phased out, again supposedly due to the lack of ridership. I don't know if the ridership demand is there today so I'll defer to you and the others who actually use the line in Brooklyn. I don't know what the present track layout is at Chambers St on the Nassau line but maybe some sort of revived 4th Avenue-Nassau (R) service could be brought back. Carry on.

If the (J) was ever to be extended it would be 9th ave, not 95th st, 95th is too far,plus its terminal can only handle (R) trains

Outside of overnights, yes, but I would look at overnights perhaps having the (J) run to 95th street, which would eliminate the need for the (R) shuttle and allow the (D) and (N) to possibly run express at all times (or the (N) with the (D) staying local).  Most people looking for Brooklyn can transfer to the (J) in this format at Chambers (from the (4) & (6) ), Fulton or Court Street (from the (2) & (4) ), Fulton or Jay Street (from the (A) ), Essex-Delancey or Jay (from the (F) ), DeKalb (from the (Q) and possibly (D) and/or (N) ) or Atlantic Avenue (from the (2) / (4) / (D) / (N) or (Q).  That can work.

Other times, as noted 9th Avenue would make more sense.

Outside of overnights, yes, but I would look at overnights perhaps having the (J) run to 95th street, which would eliminate the need for the (R) shuttle and allow the (D) and (N) to possibly run express at all times (or the (N) with the (D) staying local).  Most people looking for Brooklyn can transfer to the (J) in this format at Chambers (from the (4) & (6) ), Fulton or Court Street (from the (2) & (4) ), Fulton or Jay Street (from the (A) ), Essex-Delancey or Jay (from the (F) ), DeKalb (from the (Q) and possibly (D) and/or (N) ) or Atlantic Avenue (from the (2) / (4) / (D) / (N) or (Q).  That can work.

This thread is about the (Q) being rerouted from express to local between 57th and Canal, not these ridiculous proposals of sending the (J) via Montague/4th Avenue overnight.

Outside of overnights, yes, but I would look at overnights perhaps having the (J) run to 95th street, which would eliminate the need for the (R) shuttle and allow the (D) and (N) to possibly run express at all times (or the (N) with the (D) staying local). Most people looking for Brooklyn can transfer to the (J) in this format at Chambers (from the (4) & (6) ), Fulton or Court Street (from the (2) & (4) ), Fulton or Jay Street (from the (A) ), Essex-Delancey or Jay (from the (F) ), DeKalb (from the (Q) and possibly (D) and/or (N) ) or Atlantic Avenue (from the (2) / (4) / (D) / (N) or (Q). That can work.

Nah the (J) is fine where its at when it comes to night service

Anyway back to talking about the (Q)

Sea Beach is fine by itself. It's the Astoria line that needs help. As mentioned previously, it's assumed that the W would return when Second Avenue opens.

It would be nice if it did but do they have the cars to do this and keep the service. I tend to doubt it even going to Whitehall as rush hour would mean about additional 64 cars in the system which they don't have.

It would be nice if it did but do they have the cars to do this and keep the service. I tend to doubt it even going to Whitehall as rush hour would mean about additional 64 cars in the system which they don't have.

That's why they're buying the new orders (R179, R211).

It's fine. Like bobtehpanda said, the 5-car sets in the R179 order (and some R211 cars, whenever they come around) are going to provide the extra trainsets needed for Broadway service once 2 Av opens. 

• 4 weeks later...

IDK why the  (MTA) would do this, according to my math, the  (MTA) saves money scheduling trains to run express. I'll show you with the Queens Blvd Line. Traveling from Forest Hills to Queens Plaza via express is 10 minutes, and 20 minutes for local. So if they place a train at Forest Hills and Roosevelt Avenue, it would take 5 minutes for the next express train to come, but 10 minutes for the next local. If they want to schedule express trains to come every 10 minutes, they only need 2 trains along that entire stretch. At Forest Hills and Queens Plaza. Five minutes later, there would be just one train at Roosevelt Avenue, then five minutes later a train at Queens Plaza and Forest Hills. For local, a 10 minute interval would be one train at each express stops. This is why many local trains have 8-10 minute intervals. It is also why many lines where there is local and express (with the exeption of Manhattan lines) will have the same number of lines, or less local than express lines to serve. So running the  (Q) express would save the  (MTA) lots of money. They have the money to do that? How crowded can the  (N) actually get?

IDK why the  (MTA) would do this, according to my math, the  (MTA) saves money scheduling trains to run express. I'll show you with the Queens Blvd Line. Traveling from Forest Hills to Queens Plaza via express is 10 minutes, and 20 minutes for local. So if they place a train at Forest Hills and Roosevelt Avenue, it would take 5 minutes for the next express train to come, but 10 minutes for the next local. If they want to schedule express trains to come every 10 minutes, they only need 2 trains along that entire stretch. At Forest Hills and Queens Plaza. Five minutes later, there would be just one train at Roosevelt Avenue, then five minutes later a train at Queens Plaza and Forest Hills. For local, a 10 minute interval would be one train at each express stops. This is why many local trains have 8-10 minute intervals. It is also why many lines where there is local and express (with the exeption of Manhattan lines) will have the same number of lines, or less local than express lines to serve. So running the  (Q) express would save the  (MTA) lots of money. They have the money to do that? How crowded can the  (N) actually get?

Well, the MTA's revenues have been rising slowly with the economy (the upside to the MTA's cyclical funding base).

The thing is, how many people at local stops are looking to use the (Q)? If the MTA is focused on improving customer experience (which, IMO, should always be the priority, but some people might call me crazy), then it makes sense to reduce any late-night transferring, particularly if the express does not save a significant amount of time over the local. The age of austerity is slowly coming to an end, and the MTA doing little things here and there is always appreciated.

IDK why the (MTA) would do this, according to my math, the (MTA) saves money scheduling trains to run express. I'll show you with the Queens Blvd Line. Traveling from Forest Hills to Queens Plaza via express is 10 minutes, and 20 minutes for local. So if they place a train at Forest Hills and Roosevelt Avenue, it would take 5 minutes for the next express train to come, but 10 minutes for the next local. If they want to schedule express trains to come every 10 minutes, they only need 2 trains along that entire stretch. At Forest Hills and Queens Plaza. Five minutes later, there would be just one train at Roosevelt Avenue, then five minutes later a train at Queens Plaza and Forest Hills. For local, a 10 minute interval would be one train at each express stops. This is why many local trains have 8-10 minute intervals. It is also why many lines where there is local and express (with the exeption of Manhattan lines) will have the same number of lines, or less local than express lines to serve. So running the (Q) express would save the (MTA) lots of money. They have the money to do that? How crowded can the (N) actually get?

It's not an issue of crowding, it's the issue of service, particularly at local stations. It's the reason why the (1)(2) and the (4)(6) run local at night. There once was a time call the 1990s when the (2) ran express at night, and the (6) was truncated to 125 Street, leaving the (4) as the only Lexington Ave. local. Passengers were fuming when the (1) local just missed the (2) express at a transfer station or the (4) train was delayed. So they changed it to the current service pattern.

Sure, it costs more money, but it placates late night passengers. The same will go for (Q) train riders. The service change will help those waiting for the (Q) at night by shortening their total travel time by up to 20 minutes.

And if the MTA has money for it, why the hell not?

Archived