Been Concerned About This....

Broadway Local

Maybe you could take a picture of this sign? On the current signal plans I have, your GT-30 sign is located right next to an ST signal , and there are no other signs around this area. E1- 40 wouldn't make any sense as the zero-point for the BMT-E chaining is @ Chambers St in Manhattan since it was chained via now abandoned EL lines that used to cross the Brooklyn Bridge; the 40 would represent 4,000 feet of track from that zero point, and Chambers is a lot further than that from New Utrecht. The E1 part does make sense as itmaybeokay stated, but the 40 part is off.

-A 

Maybe it's the white mileage marker (that uses actual mileage instead of the the 100ft  chain units). Though it isn't 40 miles to the zero point; maybe it's 4.0?)

They're usually in decimal notation, to the tenth of a mile.

Maybe you could take a picture of this sign? On the current signal plans I have, your GT-30 sign is located right next to an ST signal , and there are no other signs around this area. E1- 40 wouldn't make any sense as the zero-point for the BMT-E chaining is @ Chambers St in Manhattan since it was chained via now abandoned EL lines that used to cross the Brooklyn Bridge; the 40 would represent 4,000 feet of track from that zero point, and Chambers is a lot further than that from New Utrecht. The E1 part does make sense as itmaybeokay stated, but the 40 part is off.

-A 

Good Point. I don't head down the sea beach line much but I'll check my track book for any insight when I get home. 

Maybe it's the white mileage marker (that uses actual mileage instead of the the 100ft  chain units). Though it isn't 40 miles to the zero point; maybe it's 4.0?)

They're usually in decimal notation, to the tenth of a mile.

Also a good point. A photo would help :-)

Yeah thanks guys!

Yes it's E1 40. my mistake!

I could not take a pic, because my phone does not have zoom, and i can only take it from the operator's window! It could be hard to see it too!

I may be an idiot for asking this question, so does it identify how far you are from the signal, and tell me the whole purpose of it? Thank you! :)

Yeah thanks guys!

I could not take a pic, because my phone does not have zoom, and i can only take it from the operator's window! It could be hard to see it too!

I may be an idiot for asking this question, so does it identify how far you are from the signal, and tell me the whole purpose of it? Thank you! :)

It pretty much tells you where the starting point is for that branch in terms of chaining distances.40 means it's about 4,000 feet from the starting point (pretty much measures in terms of 100s) from the starting point of the E branch.

Nite there's a catch, sometimes a branch wouldn't really have a starting point and just merges into another branch and carries the number of said branch.

I would go into detail but later, I'm helping someone move

Yeah thanks guys!

The short answer is chaining is a system for measuring distances between two points along a line by measuring them in relation to an imaginary fixed "zero" point. The difference is the distance between the two points. IE if a football player is standing 30 yards from the end zone, and another is standing 70 yards from the same end zone, they are 40 yards apart.

If you want the complex answer, I suggest you read the joekorner link someone posted above.

^^^ I would agree, it's probably a mile marker, which strikes me as very interesting. The signal plating along the chaining line-E start in the mid 500s, after 59 St, since it's "tied" into the BMT-F (4 Av), which is tied into BMT-A (via the MannyB), which begins at the north end of 57 St/7 Av. That's the complex answer that Eric was talking about above. The GT-30 sign you're referring to is at E1-608---so 60,800 feet from chaining zero (at 57th).

-A  :ph34r:

Archived