R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• 1 month later...

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can say goodbye to the 1921-2-5 set that's on the Shuttle as it'll be added on with 1908 and 1910: 5-car set

*1906 and 1907 are the only R62As for Corona work helping EP R134 units to clean up along the Flushing line. 

Edited by Calvin

So in that youtube video with UWB radios, did I see a forward in-cab camera? FRA style. Kind of interesting NYCT would adopt forward cameras for post suicide litigation. What is NYS law anyways for NYCT liability payout to family if someone gets killed under the train? All suicides get payout or only if you are pushed under the train (murder)?

Edited by bulk88

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2019 at 11:08 PM, Calvin said:

You can say goodbye to the 1921-2-5 set that's on the Shuttle as it'll be added on with 1908 and 1910: 5-car set

*1906 and 1907 are the only R62As for Corona work helping EP R134 units to clean up along the Flushing line. 

Edited October 12 by Calvin

All five of these R-62A's were discovered on Monday at LIV, basically untouched.

Reputedly the two work motors (1908, 1910) need a good bit of tidying up before they can re-enter passenger service.

Plus, someone seems to think there might be a rearrangement once at WES to create 1921-1925 in order with 1922-1924 as middles.

PLUS, 1922 is configured as a Cuomo car for the Shuttle.  Will it be restored to normal?  <who knows?!?>

8 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

All five of these R-62A's were discovered on Monday at LIV, basically untouched.

Reputedly the two work motors (1908, 1910) need a good bit of tidying up before they can re-enter passenger service.

1908 did return to passenger service, but on the 42nd St Shuttle last month. It was coupled with 1921-2 and 5 b/c they need an extra car for Track 3. 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

Yes, that's it. With its purple sticker

Speaking of stickers, for some reason it seems as if westchester yard crews have stopped putting there new green ones on the rest of the R62As that still don't have them on the (6). I wonder why they don't continue with that.

Just to note, over 40 of Westchester's R62As have been SMS'ed with brighter lighting, loop poles and the obvious Helvetica one-lined rollsigns, similar to the sets on the (1). Don't know yet if the R62A set's on the 42nd Shuttle would be SMS'ed going forward, specifically (under body work/truck overhauls and cleaning each car bonnets).

21 hours ago, jon2305 said:

Speaking of stickers, for some reason it seems as if westchester yard crews have stopped putting there new green ones on the rest of the R62As that still don't have them on the (6). I wonder why they don't continue with that.

Just to note, over 40 of Westchester's R62As have been SMS'ed with brighter lighting, loop poles and the obvious Helvetica one-lined rollsigns, similar to the sets on the (1). Don't know yet if the R62A set's on the 42nd Shuttle would be SMS'ed going forward, specifically (under body work/truck overhauls and cleaning each car bonnets).

Oh you didn’t know? MTA is very inconsistent with aesthetics and cosmetics. There’s no organization in terms of which sets get what service at the barns.  Look at Jamaica’s R160’s verses Coney Island’s R160’s...

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2019 at 11:14 PM, jon2305 said:

Any pics?

Kind of R188 related but  I noticed the announcements on the 7 sounded different this morning.  Turns out, the MTA reprogrammed all of them for 8 days with Awkwafina's voice making announcements.  This is part of a Comedy Central paid promo for her new show "Nora from Queens"

https://nypost.com/2020/01/16/queens-girl-awkwafina-will-be-making-subway-announcements-on-the-7-train/

6 hours ago, 7-express said:

Kind of R188 related but  I noticed the announcements on the 7 sounded different this morning.  Turns out, the MTA reprogrammed all of them for 8 days with Awkwafina's voice making announcements.  This is part of a Comedy Central paid promo for her new show "Nora from Queens"

https://nypost.com/2020/01/16/queens-girl-awkwafina-will-be-making-subway-announcements-on-the-7-train/

I found out a few minutes ago what was going on, cause at first I was like who broke into the conductors cab. I kinda like these new announcements, they are certainly more lively than what we have. 

18 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

That’s .... kinda sad? 

Never really cared for those announcements anyways. 

Yea, it's just for those who are looking for the announcements. Just letting those know that the week is past its date. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a forward camera and LIDAR on that train. MTA must be piloting a 12-9 detector like at 50th Street. I doubt any transpo engineer would authorize AV tech for dark territory ATP. I've heard rumors about MTA trying something with radio location distance to the nearest radio node mounted on the wall, instead of the passive track bed beacons beacons to save installation $.

• 1 month later...