R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And this will allow them to add more trains and have the spaced closer together. Well it would suck to have the R62s go back to the 6 line. I like them, but it's time for those cars to be replaced. Besides I think most passengers agree that the newer cars have far better lighting, climate control and announcements that that are actually audible.
The oldest R62 is 27 and R62A is 26.They still have time.

Why the need to do all of this shuffling? I mean they spent some cash (maybe not a ton of cash, but still had to spend something) moving those trains over to the 7 line to replace the red birds and now they're going to move them again? Why exactly is it so vital for the 7 line to have these new cars? In other words, aside from the new trains, automated announcements, etc, what other benefits would these trains give 7 train riders?

Probably easier to instal CBTC in the R142s than the older R62s, as rr4567 explained. Otherwise there wouldn't be a need for these R188s. The R62As aren't going anywhere, they still have more than 10yrs left if cars last as long as 40 some years.

If the R62As go on the (6), i can't imagine how the Lex riders will feel that there is no NTT on the Pelham Train.

RFW has nothing to do with providing service to the passengers. So where if it goes, it goes..

And you don't know where the R62As are going, its still too early.

It could go on the (6) but I'm wondering if the (6) riders wouldn't mind.

i know from being a rider of the 6 i ask people here would they like them old 1980s cars back after getting new ones and i get a near 100% no rate, no one in the bronx or manhatten want them too change back too them old trains. i think its a stupid idea in of it self because the R62a are over 25 years old now and by time they are done doing this it will be 27 years old why do that when they will need too buy new ones too replace the R62a and ATS is working its like all new systems it will always have problems at first, its going to take time for this new system too work fully people, the Lex ave line will always be over crowded its the only line on the e side we need the 2nd ave up but we all know how long we been waiting for that

The oldest R62 is 27 and R62A is 26.They still have time.
i dont know about you but no one i know in the bronx and bk wants by time this is done 30 plus year old train cars i dont think anyone care if they have years left in them it dont matter they gave us new trains less than 7 years ago we hate this idea of giving them too the 7 line just for them too have there CBTC working and we all know how good thats working on the L they cant get it too work at all they even thought of getting rid off it all together and just using it for countdown clocks

Guest lance25

It's not as though the R62As are pieces of scrap metal. Plus, there are many other lines that use older equipment: the R46s on the (A), (G) and (R); and the senior citizens of the fleet, the R32s, on the (C). If anyone has the right to complain, it's definitely not the (6) line riders. They had the most R62(a)s while the rest of the A Division had the aging redbirds and were the first the receive the new R142As.

i know from being a rider of the 6 i ask people here would they like them old 1980s cars back after getting new ones and i get a near 100% no rate, no one in the bronx or manhatten want them too change back too them old trains. i think its a stupid idea in of it self because the R62a are over 25 years old now and by time they are done doing this it will be 27 years old why do that when they will need too buy new ones too replace the R62a and ATS is working its like all new systems it will always have problems at first, its going to take time for this new system too work fully people, the Lex ave line will always be over crowded its the only line on the e side we need the 2nd ave up but we all know how long we been waiting for that

When the R62As that ran on the (6) were transferred to the (7) in 2002-03 they were not old cars (16-18 years old). I rode them every day when they were on the (6) and I ride these same cars every day on the (7) now. Believe me, they look and ride almost as good now as they did when they ran on Lex seven, eight years ago. They're 25-year old cars. They're not old cars. And truthfully, I think most riders aren't going to care if it's an R62A or R142A that pulls into Pelham Bay Park or 86th Street. What they will care about is that the train gets them to where they need to go quickly, safely and in reasonable comfort (in other words, no hot cars in summer).

The reason the (7) got 62s instead of new tech trains when they were new is because Corona's barn couldn't handle the R142's roof-mounted a/c units at the time. There were reportedly some issues with the (7) line's third rail having difficulty powering the test R142 trains. And of course they didn't have enough B-cars to make 11-car trains. But two of those three issues have been resolved and the R188 contract will resolve the B-car issues. Not to mention that the NTTs were designed with CBTC in mind and the R62s were a back-to- basics design. It would be a lot easier and less expensive to refit NTTs with CBTC than it would be to refit the barebones R62As.

Still, they need to clean up the interiors of those 62s. All the scratching on the stainless steel patterns

When the R62As that ran on the (6) were transferred to the (7) in 2002-03 they were not old cars (16-18 years old). I rode them every day when they were on the (6) and I ride these same cars every day on the (7) now. Believe me, they look and ride almost as good now as they did when they ran on Lex seven, eight years ago. They're 25-year old cars. They're not old cars. And truthfully, I think most riders aren't going to care if it's an R62A or R142A that pulls into Pelham Bay Park or 86th Street. What they will care about is that the train gets them to where they need to go quickly, safely and in reasonable comfort (in other words, no hot cars in summer).

The reason the (7) got 62s instead of new tech trains when they were new is because Corona's barn couldn't handle the R142's roof-mounted a/c units at the time. There were reportedly some issues with the (7) line's third rail having difficulty powering the test R142 trains. And of course they didn't have enough B-cars to make 11-car trains. But two of those three issues have been resolved and the R188 contract will resolve the B-car issues. Not to mention that the NTTs were designed with CBTC in mind and the R62s were a back-to- basics design. It would be a lot easier and less expensive to refit NTTs with CBTC than it would be to refit the barebones R62As.

Still, they need to clean up the interiors of those 62s. All the scratching on the stainless steel patterns

I rode the 7 train last year to see a client out in Flushing and those trains need to be cleaned up. I certainly wouldn't sit down on them.

the R62s are old and nasty i ride them now and than on the 7 and the 3 the the cars are cold in the winter and hot in the summer they dont have automated announcements so we have to hope the conductor do it and the speakers arent good so you may not hear it if they do it i cant stand them and people do care what come in the station if they are cold and cant hear announcements they care and the R142a are perfect they do all of the and clear i can go on and on

the R62s are old and nasty i ride them now and than on the 7 and the 3 the the cars are cold in the winter and hot in the summer they dont have automated announcements so we have to hope the conductor do it and the speakers arent good so you may not hear it if they do it i cant stand them and people do care what come in the station if they are cold and cant hear announcements they care and the R142a are perfect they do all of the and clear i can go on and on

And I remember when the MTA came up with this ridiculous number in terms of how much it would cost to actually keep the subway stations and cars clean as they should be... I know I know... It's a large system and blah blah blah... Having the new subway cars are great, but clearly they're not being cleaned. In fact when do they actually give these subway cars a good scrubbing? I know they are cleaned when they overhaul some of them, but how often is that? Maybe every few years at best?

Guest lance25
I rode the 7 train last year to see a client out in Flushing and those trains need to be cleaned up. I certainly wouldn't sit down on them.
And I remember when the MTA came up with this ridiculous number in terms of how much it would cost to actually keep the subway stations and cars clean as they should be... I know I know... It's a large system and blah blah blah... Having the new subway cars are great, but clearly they're not being cleaned. In fact when do they actually give these subway cars a good scrubbing? I know they are cleaned when they overhaul some of them, but how often is that? Maybe every few years at best?

Do you have any idea how many people the (MTA) transports daily? It's somewhere in the millions. That means that the trains aren't idling for long periods of time for workers to clean them. Sometimes, the train leaves a couple of minutes after arriving.

Also remember that some of the cleaners have been laid off and the remaining ones there only clean on one end of the route, not both anymore.

Concerning the dinginess of the cars, see above.

On the automated announcements, if a person can't pay attention to the stops the train makes, I doubt it'll matter if said person is on an NTT or older train. Also, aren't the R142(a)s cold all the time?

OT: @chris: No offense, but your grammar is atrocious. It's hard to decipher what the hell you wrote because it's one long run-on sentence.

Do you have any idea how many people the (MTA) transports daily? It's somewhere in the millions. That means that the trains aren't idling for long periods of time for workers to clean them. Sometimes, the train leaves a couple of minutes after arriving.

Also remember that some of the cleaners have been laid off and the remaining ones there only clean on one end of the route, not both anymore.

On the automated announcements, if a person can't pay attention to the stops the train makes, I doubt it'll matter if said person is on an NTT or older train. Also, aren't the R142(a)s cold all the time?

OT: @chris: No offense, but your grammar is atrocious. It's hard to decipher what the hell you wrote because it's one long run-on sentence.

And I don't dispute any of it... I just asked when do they get a good scrubbing? The MTA has previously stated that subway cars are in a good state in terms of cleanliness, but looking at some of them, I would beg to differ on that.

The fact that they move so many people as to why the subway cars are filthy (even the new ones) is a poor excuse. Look at other countries that move large amounts of people and look at how clean their subway cars are... You'll have to do better than that.

sorry for that i keep thinking like im on other forums, i am a transit buff, i ride all lines and make vids of things i see good and bad ok.. now i dont know what you are talking about but people like clear and understandable announcements, warm cars and good lighting, the R62s dont have any of that. i for one like the announcements and knowing whats going on around me, and no the R142s arent cold at all they are nice and warm rite now and its very cold outside. and just too add the R142s have wider doors and for the most over crowded line in the city too go back too old smaller cars is just out of this world too me

And I don't dispute any of it... I just asked when do they get a good scrubbing? The MTA has previously stated that subway cars are in a good state in terms of cleanliness, but looking at some of them, I would beg to differ on that.

The fact that they move so many people as to why the subway cars are filthy (even the new ones) is a poor excuse. Look at other countries that move large amounts of people and look at how clean their subway cars are... You'll have to do better than that.

im sorry too say this but we arent in other countries, this city is nasty i can tell you rite now the reason why they are dirty is not because of the MTA its because the people we have here, nasty isnt half of it. other countries have it better because they have people are not nasty, they dont throw garbage on the floor like they do here. i cant tell you how sad when i get off at 1230am and see the mobile wash unit clean up the stations top too bottom and clean the cars just too go a few hours later its back too nasty like it never was done, its the people not them/

im sorry too say this but we arent in other countries, this city is nasty i can tell you rite now the reason why they are dirty is not because of the MTA its because the people we have here, nasty isnt half of it. other countries have it better because they have people are not nasty, they dont throw garbage on the floor like they do here. i cant tell you how sad when i get off at 1230am and see the mobile wash unit clean up the stations top too bottom and clean the cars just too go a few hours later its back too nasty like it never was done, its the people not them/

You are right, but I also know that their idea of cleaning is sweeping in most cases at best. I have only seen the subway cars get half mopped on occasion, so yes, people are nasty here no question, but cars aren't cleaned that thoroughly either. The express buses that I ride are fairly clean because people tend not to be as filthy, but even those can be dirty at times. It's my understanding that the buses aren't cleaned during the winter (outside or inside)...?

You are right, but I also know that their idea of cleaning is sweeping in most cases at best. I have only seen the subway cars get half mopped on occasion, so yes, people are nasty here no question, but cars aren't cleaned that thoroughly either. The express buses that I ride are fairly clean because people tend not to be as filthy, but even those can be dirty at times. It's my understanding that the buses aren't cleaned during the winter (outside or inside)...?
i dont think thats true, the bus depot in the bronx (west farms) clean the buses all the time every nite. so i can say they are clean when i get on in the morning. and if you are at the last stop and they come on too clean up its only for the most part, they do a quick clean but the real cleaning is done when they take it into service at the shops.

i dont think thats true, the bus depot in the bronx (west farms) clean the buses all the time every nite. so i can say they are clean when i get on in the morning. and if you are at the last stop and they come on too clean up its only for the most part, they do a quick clean but the real cleaning is done when they take it into service at the shops.

Spring Creek Depot keeps very clean express buses, as does Eastchester Depot and most of the MTA Bus Depots in the Bronx. Staten Island is another issue though. I hope that will change now that Charleston Depot is open.

For some reason I have this gut feeling that Kawasaki would take 50/50 from both the (4), and the (6), <6> so they could build the R188's for the (7), <7>. Though I would a bit upset if they took all the R142A's from the (4) line or the (6), <6> line, because it won't really be fair if you left a line with old equipment when the (MTA) originally promised them new equipment.