R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Unless it starts glitching out, which is why most R142's have this problem. Sometimes it is done on purpose to check that the signs are working, other times it gets activated by a glitch by some cars with really really terrible signs (like the R132A converts).

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sick of seeing R188's displaying "34-HUDSON" everyday. It's mad confusing. The TIMES SQ was good tho, that was easy for anyone to see. It should either say 34 ST, 34 ST-HUDSON, 34-HUDSON YARDS, or HUDSON YARDS. At least Corona Yard (7) knows how to treat their trains, love the effort they put in.

Anyone know if it's safe to say that Westchester doesn't know how to fix the LEDs on their R62A's?

It's been said that already. Westchester Yard treat their fleets like gabage! Oh man.. <_< Edited by Priincenene

I don't buy much into the fact that subway yards treat their fleets like trash because certain subway lines like the (6) or very demanding especially in the rush hours. Day to day that takes a toll on the fleet whether its a R142A or R62A or any other car fleet. The R62As on the (1) dont look to great either, some of them damn near need a wash and the interiors are depressing. But thats just the nature of going through the rigours of daily service. But at the same point in time, Corona yard seems like they purely maintain their fleets quite well so maybe its a factor of quality control and how much time they put in on maintaining the cars before they get put back into service. Also, the (7) is mostly outdoors so the trains dont collect as much steel dust and steel pollution as those like on the (1) & (6) lines and the (C) as well.

As for the LED local/express lights I'm not gonna assume westchester don't know how to fix them cause thats a situation I have no knowledge on and no time to waste on but, theres already two sets in the 17xx consist that don't have those lights anymore for some reason so who knows.

Edited by jon2305

I'm sick of seeing R188's displaying "34-HUDSON" everyday. It's mad confusing. The TIMES SQ was good tho, that was easy for anyone to see. It should either say 34 ST, 34 ST-HUDSON, 34-HUDSON YARDS, or HUDSON YARDS. At least Corona Yard (7) knows how to treat their trains, love the effort they put in.

How does one get confused by this... There's only one 34th Street on the (7) line, let alone only one 34th Street station with the word HUDSON in the name...

A regular passenger would, they would say "What in the world is HUDSON?" If they have no idea about the new station. I'm sure 50% know and the other 50% have no idea.

The station opened two months ago... if anyone who rode the (7) didn't know a Hudson Yards station opened, they'd have to be pretty oblivious.

Not to mention that this is the MTA we're talking about; remember they also decided BRKLN BRDG was better and easier to understand than BROOKLYN BRIDGE? :D

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101

A regular passenger would, they would say "What in the world is HUDSON?" If they have no idea about the new station. I'm sure 50% know and the other 50% have no idea.

That still makes no sense whatsoever.

Going by your logic, no matter which way they spell it, be it "HUDSON YARDS" "34 ST-HUDSON YDS" "34TH STREET-HUDSON YARDS" or even "34 STREET" they still gonna get confused.

If the omission of one word (a suffix at that) would really confuse someone that badly, then that person shouldn't be riding the subway alone...ESPECIALLY with 4 strip maps & 2 whole subway maps per car on top of automated announcements that are clear as day.

The Queensboro Plaza bound destination sign is more of a problem than 34th's. "Q BORO PLZ" is something someone could easily be confused with, then again, there are also the announcements which clearly say "This is a Queensboro Plaza bound 7 train." I just wish they could've kept "Queensboro Plz" on the sign.