R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 7:35 AM, BayParkwayW said:

Just saw R62A 1960 on the (7) back in the flushing bound lead (with the rfw), it was in the middle of the train for months, the same train as 1920. Is this the last R62A set at Corona?

i believe there's 2 more. but I'm sure it's not the last.

Anyways (while I don't have any documentation) I did hear from my Friend who heard from his friend who heard from someone else that R32's até going on the (A)(B) and (G) lines

And I just realized, I'm saying something in the wrong thread 

Edited by LGA Link N train

3 hours ago, Amtrak706 said:

So it seems that the R62As are finally dwindling on the (7). Once they are all gone, will that enable CBTC to finally start up or is there another issue that is precluding that?

I’ve heard they should be gone by January. But wouldn’t it make sense to keep some singles and 5-cars around in case CBTC fails and/or garbage trains?

2 hours ago, BayParkwayW said:

I’ve heard they should be gone by January. But wouldn’t it make sense to keep some singles and 5-cars around in case CBTC fails and/or garbage trains?

Actually they can’t keep any R62A cars because the (6) is short on R62As and so is the (1). The (1) has some R62s from the (3) and the (6) has to borrow R142As from the (4).

by the end of the swap:

(7) - 506 R188 cars = 46 trains (more then enough spare cars)

(6) - 440 R62A cars - 44 trains + 1 R142A

(1) - 360 R62A cars and 25 R62 cars

(3) - 290 R62 cars 

(4) - 210 R142A cars and 210 R142 cars

(5) - 410 R142 cars

(2) - 410 R142 cars 

7 hours ago, BayParkwayW said:

They installed new wayside signals on the (7) during the CBTC overhaul as otherwise no museum trains or work trains would be able to use Flushing. If CBTC fails, they can shut it off.

7 hours ago, VIP said:

Didn’t the (7) have the amount of R62A’s required for (6) service including spares??.  And why is the (1) still needing R62’s; Was this due to increased ridership on that line? 

The (1) is using a few of (3) R62's due in part because of the (6) borrowing sets that belongs to the (1). 2221-2225/2346-2350 have been on the (6) for about two years, also 2456-2460/2461-65/2466-70/2471-75 are all on the (6).  Those sets borrowed from the (1) will likely go back to the (1), because the 240th Yard-R62As have been going through their SMS maintenance.

As for Flushing CBTC, crews have to constantly evaluate that signals as well as car-borne communication equipment on the trains work in tandem together in order to operate things normally. (R188 Converted sets-Factory Sets) have to be able to communicate with each other from one side to the other to require a high level of safety and reliability. Signals have to be properly tested so that a position of a train Local & Express services on the (7) is detected. 

5 hours ago, jon2305 said:

The (1) is using a few of (3) R62's due in part because of the (6) borrowing sets that belongs to the (1). 2221-2225/2346-2350 have been on the (6) for about two years, also 2456-2460/2461-65/2466-70/2471-75 are all on the (6).  Those sets borrowed from the (1) will likely go back to the (1), because the 240th Yard-R62As have been going through their SMS maintenance.

As for Flushing CBTC, crews have to constantly evaluate that signals as well as car-borne communication equipment on the trains work in tandem together in order to operate things normally. (R188 Converted sets-Factory Sets) have to be able to communicate with each other from one side to the other to require a high level of safety and reliability. Signals have to be properly tested so that a position of a train Local & Express services on the (7) is detected. 

Wouldn’t have been best to just have transferred Livonia’s R62’s to the (6) ? And I see the (1) cars getting their side rollsigns done with “Single line” readings of Northern/southern terminals.