R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

I was on the (7) today and got off at 74th st and noticed the sign for CBTC. I didn't get a chance to see the signals, but it seems that they are almost ready to go if they haven't already.

That sign has been sitting there for quite some time already. There are other stations along the (7) line that have CBTC signs on them

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jon2305 said:

(S) besides giving them the atrocious as some like to call them "Coumo treatment"

I think the Coumo treatment is perfect for the 42nd street (S). It's such a short ride so standing isn't that big of a deal, and it helps squeeze a few extra passengers during the rush. There really aren't that many downsides. Also the (S) is crowded at most times so the chances of getting a seat anyway are pretty slim, I prefer to go in the Cuomo car if it's busy because there are always fewer people.

Cuomo treatments on the (E)(F) and (L) are another story.

Edited by kosciusko

16 hours ago, VIP said:

And with R62A’s 1916-1920/1965-1961... so increase in service or spares? 

Better spare factor, no increase in service for now.  Hopefully the MTA will restore some service on the (6) for a future pick, but doing so would reduce that spare factor further.  As it is/was, the (6) never had a great spare factor.  Only the (1) and (3) (and soon the (7)) have a decent amount of spares as far as the IRT is concerned.

In retrospect, it might've been better to have more factory sets of R188s... 

21 hours ago, VIP said:

And with R62A’s 1916-1920/1965-1961... so increase in service or spares? 

The reduced service on Pelham is still in-effect but the spares gone up by a few

5 hours ago, Bosco said:

Better spare factor, no increase in service for now.  Hopefully the MTA will restore some service on the (6) for a future pick, but doing so would reduce that spare factor further.  As it is/was, the (6) never had a great spare factor.  Only the (1) and (3) (and soon the (7)) have a decent amount of spares as far as the IRT is concerned.

In retrospect, it might've been better to have more factory sets of R188s... 

That's right. 

The switch/leftover is down to just 2-3 R62As in total on the (7) with 1 R142A on the (6) (would've been up to 5 R142A leftover). 

4 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Thanks for the news. I guess this was what was meant by this link which I posted several weeks ago: http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7010103&PLTYPE=9

Project: T7010103

Description: Subway Action Plan: Upgrade 220 R142A Railcars

Category: Subway Cars

Element: Subway Cars

xxxxxxxxxx

This project supports the MTA's NYC Subway Action Plan to improve customer service by making improvements on critical components of the system. This project will modify 220 existing R142A A-Division cars to the newer standards of the R188 cars. Schedule dates are not avai lable, due to project being under development.

Correct. That would be it.

3 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Also, do you know the timeframe?

I do not have a timeframe. I made an edit above that mentioned it. I was however able to confirm that preliminary plans call for 7221-7440 to be the set of 220 in question. 

3 hours ago, East New York said:

Correct. That would be it.

I do not have a timeframe. I made an edit above that mentioned it. I was however able to confirm that preliminary plans call for 7221-7440 to be the set of 220 in question. 

The 7221-7440 set's are already R188's conversion sets on the flushing line.

2 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Isn't the remaining 220 R142A cars 7591-7810 (7661-7665 haven't seen in-service for so long)?

Set 7661-7665 has had some SMS work done to it and has been farmed out at 207 St train yard for a while, I've seen it a few times on the (1) north of 207th St.

19 hours ago, jon2305 said:

The 7221-7440 set's are already R188's conversion sets on the flushing line 

19 hours ago, jon2305 said:

The 7221-7440 set's are already R188's conversion sets on the flushing line.

19 hours ago, Calvin said:

Isn't the remaining 220 R142A cars 7591-7810 (7661-7665 haven't seen in-service for so long)?

My apologies that was a typo. Looking at too many numbers at once. Yes it is 7591-7810.

Edited by East New York

6 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

I've been noticing these battery gadgets inside the windows of the R188s. Anyone have any clue as to what these are intended for?

2_zpsmpxyczir_2.jpg

Most likely for the LCD screens that the “cuomo scheme” R160 sets have...

6 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The remaining R62As that's on the (7) are all made up of single units with 2071-5, 2081-5 and 2091-5: a full-length cab on the #5 car (5-car single units paired up as one)

When are they supposedly going to transfer from Corona? Any specific time frame?

7 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

When are they supposedly going to transfer from Corona? Any specific time frame?

Within the next few weeks, I believe.  Hopefully that construction on the express track was the last hiccup before CBTC goes online.

9 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

For now, they'll remain on the (7) since at least a few were shuffled to Coney Island Yard (or 207 St) and CBTC isn't fully online. 

(Date unknown as of now)

Edited by Calvin