Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R188 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Look at the date dude...

I know..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Caught it just before the low v special came out.

 

I filmed it too. You might have seen me. I was wearing shorts.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Caught it just before the low v special came out.

 

A sigh of relief... for (6) train riders at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, CTK246 said:

ATPM? WSP?

Automatic Train Protection Mode. Wayside Signal Protection.

That 142A on the (6) is undergoing 30 day testing before Mosholu will accept it.

Edited by Snowblock
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Snowblock said:

Automatic Train Protection Mode. Wayside Signal Protection.

That 142A on the (6) is undergoing 30 day testing before Mosholu will accept it.

How come?  Was that set beat up that badly, is something else being tested, or both?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did something happen to CBTC on the (7) ?  This morning, I noticed solid greens at Junction Blvd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Automatic Train Protection Mode might take some getting use to for some T/Os if I'm not mistaken. I was on an R188 with a decent view of the train operator's CBTC console screen through the cab door window and I saw how the T/O was trying to really cope with the functions of the current speed and permissible speed as we passed several blinking signals btw Mets-Willets and 61st-Woodside.

Afterwards, when the train went to Wayside Signal Protection (WSP) mode after 61st the ride seemed fairly regular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes those last 15 cars were OOS for a good 6 months. One of them was even being scrapped for spare parts. Mosholu wouldn't accept them when they took the other units, not that they could even make the trip without being horsed. I haven't worked Westchester or the (6) in quite a while so I'm not sure what the current story is with them except they appear to have them running and are now making sure that they're in good shape before getting transferred.

I've been operating the (7) in ATPM for a couple weeks now and it's no problem for me.....those who spent their whole career working the 62As might need some adjustment. I know some just chose to flee the line rather than Can't Believe This Crap.

Edited by Snowblock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snowblock said:

Yes those last 15 cars were OOS for a good 6 months. One of them was even being scrapped for spare parts. Mosholu wouldn't accept them when they took the other units, not that they could even make the trip without being horsed. I haven't worked Westchester or the (6) in quite a while so I'm not sure what the current story is with them except they appear to have them running and are now making sure that they're in good shape before getting transferred.

I've been operating the (7) in ATPM for a couple weeks now and it's no problem for me.....those who spent their whole career working the 62As might need some adjustment. I know some just chose to flee the line rather than Can't Believe This Crap.

Is there a timeline in place for full ATO?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So, If I read this correctly, when 7596-7610 was still at Westchester (they were OOS for the winter season), Mosholu wouldn't take those cars? Also, I heard 7661-5 is still at 207 St Shop. 

----

Also, just realized that 2456-2475 was there at Westchester so, it'll be fully R62As. If the 2200s-2400s were all at 240 St, then there would be a few 142As left over for the (6).  

Edited by Calvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 12:37 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Caught it just before the low v special came out.

 

Lol, I saw one of my friends in it. His YouTube channel is LGALinkQ70SBS

 

But Damn, if I knew about it at the time I would've went to see it. Another rare moment missed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Calvin said:

So, If I read this correctly, when 7596-7610 was still at Westchester (they were OOS for the winter season), Mosholu wouldn't take those cars? Also, I heard 7661-5 is still at 207 St Shop. 

----

Also, just realized that 2456-2475 was there at Westchester so, it'll be fully R62As. If the 2200s-2400s were all at 240 St, then there would be a few 142As left over for the (6).  

The remaining R62As currently at Corona would cover up service in the event that those 240 St sets go back to the (1).

Edited by jon2305

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jon2305 said:

The remaining R62As currently at Corona would cover up service in the event that those 240 St sets go back to the (1).

I think those R62A’s from 240th Street are permanent. Westchester still has 2221-2225/2346-2350 & 2306-2308/2156-2160

Edited by VIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, VIP said:

I think those R62A’s from 240th Street are permanent. Westchester still has 2221-2225/2346-2350 & 2306-2308/2156-2160

Those numbers are on the (1) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, VIP said:

I think those R62A’s from 240th Street are permanent. Westchester still has 2221-2225/2346-2350 & 2306-2308/2156-2160

Westchester has the numbers above in bold as well as 2456-60/2461-65/2466-70/2471-75. That's 30 sets that are loaned from the (1).

2071-75/2081-85/2091-95 are the remaining unitized 5-car links at Corona yard that would be transferred over to Westchester to cover service on the (6). They could also link up singles 1901/02/03/04/1905 as a new 5-car set and bring over to the (6) like they with 1911-15, 1916-20 & 1961-65 etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They did have 1921-1925.. too bad that's broken as a shuttle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 8:09 PM, jon2305 said:

Westchester has the numbers above in bold as well as 2456-60/2461-65/2466-70/2471-75. That's 30 sets that are loaned from the (1).

2071-75/2081-85/2091-95 are the remaining unitized 5-car links at Corona yard that would be transferred over to Westchester to cover service on the (6). They could also link up singles 1901/02/03/04/1905 as a new 5-car set and bring over to the (6) like they with 1911-15, 1916-20 & 1961-65 etc..

As of Thursday, April 5:

There are two 11-car revenue sets of R-62As on Tracks 15 & 16 at Corona Yard (1934 & 1954 head out); 2 others (1901 and 1905--both 4-Trippers) on 7-Ash with two EPOs.

Six singles are parked over near the old tower and the other 5-car link isn't visible.  All have the breakers shut off.

Its very possible they're marooned there until the next phase of CBTC is activated (or even the next phase, whenever they get the override aspect up and working).

It looks like 7-Ash might also presently be laid up, along with the diesels and whatever non-revenue operating equipment there is at Corona.

How the trash train is doing its work out there, I don't know.  Maybe there'll be sets of R-188's hauling Garbage Flats for a bit.

Its also not necessarily a given where the Queens R-62A's will wind up once they do leave Corona.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice chance for the new CBTC yesterday, April 5, to show off its (very expensive) attributes:

After visiting Corona, there was a delay reported "due to Police Activity at 34 St.-Hudson Yards."  No trains heading west (RR south) toward Manhattan for over 20 minutes as a result.

The blinking greens visible at Willets revealed that CBTC was in Automatic Mode, so when the delay cleared going east (RR north), there was a parade of seven R-188 trains in 9 minutes, and all seven were able to message their way through Willets toward Main Street with no problems, moving at 10 mph or less but without coming to a complete stop (except the passenger stop itself).  This much different from the Automatic Block era, where the trains would inch from signal to signal as each cycled.  At one point there were four trains packed out of sight toward Main Street with a fifth in the terminal,  presumably departing for Manhattan.  Another was heading east (RR north) out of Willets and another entering the station right behind it.

With the aspects clearing from red to blinking green in quick sequence, it looked a lot like rush hour on (L) at Broadway Junction, actually.

Such is the "magic" of CBTC...Hopefully (MTA) got what it paid for!

I wonder if CBTC is helping to relieve the morning (7) parade toward Flushing into the morning sun?  Are alternate trains still relaying at Willets?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CBTC was off friday evening rush hour. Eastbound to Main Street, screen said "Bypass" when I got on, at 74th a blinking "CBTC available" message came on and stayed on in addition to "Bypass" till Main Street. Its still not being used during Rush Hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

How is the speed in Automatic mode during regular conditions compared to running with block signals?

The speed in Automatic is no faster than it was as trains are still governed by the automatic blocks and timers of yore.  The difference is that the signals are quickly cycled electronically, based on the data it receives, and not mechanically (or pneumatically).  This substantially cuts the distance between consists and permits closer, yet fluid, headways.  That's how service can be increased, assuming you have the equipment, crews and budget to do it.  In short, CBTC does not promise FASTER trains, but should support MORE trains, which can keep moving along and not create traffic jams.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2018 at 10:50 PM, m2fwannabe said:

The speed in Automatic is no faster than it was as trains are still governed by the automatic blocks and timers of yore.  The difference is that the signals are quickly cycled electronically, based on the data it receives, and not mechanically (or pneumatically).  This substantially cuts the distance between consists and permits closer, yet fluid, headways.  That's how service can be increased, assuming you have the equipment, crews and budget to do it.  In short, CBTC does not promise FASTER trains, but should support MORE trains, which can keep moving along and not create traffic jams.

A certain T/O I know would like to disagree with you on this statement. Final build-out of the signalling system for Flushing CBTC involves removing a TON of existing signalling, ie, lengthening blocks; certain speed restrictions will be (and some have already been) lifted.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

A certain T/O I know would like to disagree with you on this statement. Final build-out of the signalling system for Flushing CBTC involves removing a TON of existing signalling, ie, lengthening blocks; certain speed restrictions will be (and some have already been) lifted.

I agree with you in terms of lifting specific speed restrictions to speed up service, but removing a lot of existing signaling would be a poor decision considering the consequences of CBTC failures (seen many times on the (L) ) and force sub-par service on the (7) in CBTC bypass mode because of the longer blocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

A certain T/O I know would like to disagree with you on this statement. Final build-out of the signalling system for Flushing CBTC involves removing a TON of existing signalling, ie, lengthening blocks; certain speed restrictions will be (and some have already been) lifted.

I heard that running time wil be cut down end-to-end by about three minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2018 at 1:37 PM, bulk88 said:

CBTC was off friday evening rush hour. Eastbound to Main Street, screen said "Bypass" when I got on, at 74th a blinking "CBTC available" message came on and stayed on in addition to "Bypass" till Main Street. Its still not being used during Rush Hour.

This morning, CBTC only seemed to be in effect from Main Street through to Junction Blvd.  They seem to be smoothing out the terminal ops issues slowly but I'm not sure what happened to the stretch between Junction Blvd and Woodside that was supposed to be active.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.