Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R188 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

1901-1908, 1910 with 1923 are staying at Corona

I guess for back up or garbage service... & Does the (6) still have it’s R142a set?? 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, VIP said:

I guess for back up or garbage service... & Does the (6) still have it’s R142a set?? 

Yes. 7596-7610

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Wasn't there an R127/R134 at Corona Yard too?  It is still possible that it can be used for garbage and/or work service though, just wondering.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:18 PM, Calvin said:

1901-1908, 1910 with 1923 are staying at Corona

Makes sense keeping those R62As there for Work Service, Refuse Duty, etc.. considering the retired single-units WF-R33 & 36s that were used for these sort of task are no longer their since early 2017. Those R62As can provide some AC comfort during the summer.

Also, seems as if the R188s continue to cycle through 207th St Overhaul Shop. I saw R188 (Converted) 7541-45 layed up outside the shop recently. 

26 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

Say goodbye to the last remaining R142A 6 train..

NOOOOOOOO!!!! 😪😪😪:(:(:( 

RIP R142A (6)- (2002-2018) 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

Say goodbye to the last remaining R142A 6 train..

Where did it go? To the (4) line as well?

2 minutes ago, PMac18 said:

Where did it go? To the (4) line as well?

Most likely the (4)....

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

RIP R142A (6)- (2002-2018) 

The R142A 6 trains have actually been in service on the line since 2000, that was back when they were still testing the trains. Making it almost 18 years of NTT service on the line...

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

Once 2081-5/2091-5 are at Westchester for the (6) , 7596-7610 will be at Mosholu for the (4) . 7116-7125 will head back to Unionport. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

The R142A 6 trains have actually been in service on the line since 2000, that was back when they were still testing the trains. 

I know, error. Just found out right before you quoted. 

But this is the end of an era. The R142As made a smooth arrival in 2000, and made their way onto the (4) and (6) lines. However, in 2013, the (6) had to sacrifice most of its R142As in order to make the Flushing line fully NTT. The R142As made their last run on the (6) yesterday April 21, 2018, almost 18 years after it first began service.

All that's left now are old, metallic, R62As from the 80's, which all came from the (7)...

The (6) will never be the same ever again. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

Posted (edited)

Here's a thought, with the (6) just being R62As, will the MTA restore the reduced runs back on the schedule since they do have enough trains now?

----

Also, before SAS occured, the (6) had 45-46 trains total but now, up to 43. The train total was shortened by 3. 

Edited by Calvin

R142As heading from Westchester Yard to Mosholu Yard for (4) service, taken 15 minutes ago:

cl96Wgc_d.jpg?maxwidth=1280&shape=thumb&

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

Don’t worry you will all see R142/As on the (6) again. Just have to wait and see for one specific weekend G.O to occur again. 

• LMAO! 3
  • Upvote 1

On 5/18/2018 at 2:26 PM, Calvin said:

1942 coupled with 1938, 1924, 1926 and 1934 to Westchester Yard (5-car formation) 

So 1942 and 1934 are the "end" cars, with full-width cabs installed?

Just now, m2fwannabe said:

Yes

1 minute ago, Calvin said:
1 minute ago, m2fwannabe said:

Yes

Thank You!

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

Once 2081-5/2091-5 are at Westchester for the (6) , 7596-7610 will be at Mosholu for the (4) . 7116-7125 will head back to Unionport. 

Any status on the 240th yard R62As sets, are those stay on the (6)?

25 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

They'll probably stay. They're filling in for the R142A loss gap. 

4 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

I know, error. Just found out right before you quoted. 

But this is the end of an era. The R142As made a smooth arrival in 2000, and made their way onto the (4) and (6) lines. However, in 2013, the (6) had to sacrifice most of its R142As in order to make the Flushing line fully NTT. The R142As made their last run on the (6) yesterday April 21, 2018, almost 18 years after it first began service.

All that's left now are old, metallic, R62As from the 80's, which all came from the (7)...

The (6) will never be the same ever again. 

They actually had numerous teething issues, along with the R142s.  Granted, they weren't AS bad (and didn't need that extensive reworking back in 2006-2007), but by no means was the arrival smooth.  And while I liked R142As on the (6) as much as the next guy, besides needing them for Flushing, Westchester treats their fleet like garbage anyway.  The R62As that came from Corona were actually fine, it's just that time has taken its toll especially being maintained under a different roof.  The (6) will be fine and it will be the same in about 10-15 years, when the replacements for the R62/As arrive.  Until then, sit tight, and fan the (4) if you MUST see the R142As...

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Here's a thought, with the (6) just being R62As, will the MTA restore the reduced runs back on the schedule since they do have enough trains now?

----

Also, before SAS occured, the (6) had 45-46 trains total but now, up to 43. The train total was shortened by 3. 

They no longer have an excuse not to.  It was very shortsighted (although I kinda understand why from a fleet perspective)--unfortunately it won't be for a few picks if they decide to restore some service.  Another idea I had (since the R142As are better from a capacity standpoints with their wider doors and clearer announcements)--why not maintain all R142As out of Mosholu, but have a few sets with (6) maps reserved for rush-hour service?  They were doing put-ins before the cuts came about, and certainly the (4) will have those few trains to spare (unless the R142s they're bumping out are to increase (2) service).

1 hour ago, jon2305 said:

Calvin already answered, but I'd like to add that the (1) is one of the few lines with a decent (for MTA standards) spare factor.  Speaking of which, I know the lone R62 set (containing the Union Square consist) recently got (1) maps, but are there plans to put that set back on the (3)?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Calvin already answered, but I'd like to add that the (1) is one of the few lines with a decent (for MTA standards) spare factor.  Speaking of which, I know the lone R62 set (containing the Union Square consist) recently got (1) maps, but are there plans to put that set back on the (3)?

That set is staying on the Local portion of 7 Av. (1) line. Adding that set, the (1) has the total trains in general. 

Edited by Calvin

Oh boo-hoo-hoo the (6) is now fully NTT what ever will we do? 🤣

So the (7) now has no more R62A's for regular service correct?

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Oh boo-hoo-hoo the (6) is now fully NTT what ever will we do? 🤣

So the (7) now has no more R62A's for regular service correct?

Correct. No regular service sets on the (7) .

On a side note, it really pisses me off that 1934 got the full cab. I’ve had fond memories of that car with a half cab facing flushing. They should just make the cabs convertible (even though they sort of are), with the full cabs for the conductor and everything else folded in. Full cabs are such a waste of space!