R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Does CBTC govern speed through stations? Or is that still left to the T/O? I was on a (7) that ran express on the local track, and the station bypasses were done at a slower speed than on other lines (like the (R) on QBL)

Yes. Elsewhere, 15 mph through stations can mean 20; on CBTC lines, no dice. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Enjoying the new announcements on the CBTC (7)...

My train went BIE right outside of either 82nd or Junction, forget which, and the conductor had to fumble over "Hello everybody, we are delayed because of brakes applied by the Command Based Train Control. We will recharge and report to Command and continue." Communications, not Command, but close enough...

On 11/29/2018 at 9:51 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Can someone upload a continuous action video of the 7 line with the new CBTC operations? I wanna see if things sped up. Preferably Grand Central or Times Square. 

Timers between 5 av and GCT gone, speed up to 20-25 mph, I think, but conversely, there's now an ATC enforced limit of 20-25 between TSQ and 5th av.

Just now, Fan Railer said:

Timers between 5 av and GCT gone, speed up to 20-25 mph, I think, but conversely, there's now an ATC enforced limit of 20-25 between TSQ and 5th av.

Those timers were GT25s. The only thing that changed is that their CBTC equivalent is calibrated properly. Those limits from TSQ to 5th also predated the system, but only as speed signs. 

12 hours ago, RR503 said:

Those timers were GT25s. The only thing that changed is that their CBTC equivalent is calibrated properly. Those limits from TSQ to 5th also predated the system, but only as speed signs. 

I am aware of both facts. The point is that with CBTC, the actual train speeds through those areas have changed, regardless of what the posted limits etc were before.

Just now, Fan Railer said:

I am aware of both facts. The point is that with CBTC, the actual train speeds through those areas have changed, regardless of what the posted limits etc were before.

Oh, totally. My point is that if fixed blocks had been done properly, that wouldn't be the case. 

I rode the (7) out of Flushing a few days ago, the portion between Main St and Junction feels a lot faster, or at least better calibrated. 

Question about the CBTC operations in the Main St terminal, I noticed while sitting at the terminal that the furthest track to the right facing eastbound had a red over lunar timer and not a flashing green with no train there. Why would that be?

Just now, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Question about the CBTC operations in the Main St terminal, I noticed while sitting at the terminal that the furthest track to the right facing eastbound had a red over lunar timer and not a flashing green with no train there. Why would that be?

I've noticed that on Canarsie the flashing green aspect only appears when the train gets within a certain distance of the signal. Not sure of the cause/reasoning behind it, but I'd think this is associated. 

On 12/30/2018 at 12:56 AM, RR503 said:

I've noticed that on Canarsie the flashing green aspect only appears when the train gets within a certain distance of the signal. Not sure of the cause/reasoning behind it, but I'd think this is associated. 

Auxiliary Wayside (legacy block with very long blocks) is primary signalling system, CBTC simply turns off block signals (green->flashing green) if a CBTC aware train tries to enter an empty legacy block, thus converting it to a CBTC block, or a CBTC aware train tries to enter a CBTC block (red->flashing green). A legacy train would get red until the last CBTC train leaves the next block, and then a legacy train may enter the block. The legacy block track circuits also need exercise sometimes. If its outside of peak, and the last CBTC train claims to have left the block, the block better not be occupied, if it is, it is a track circuit failure, but I wonder what NYCT's specs say happens if an AWS track circuit fails, CBTC trains run full speed through the block? legacy key by procedure/Form D, 1 train in the block? lock the trip cock down and stop on sight?

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought that the R188 (Factory Sets) lighting is what made the cars look glossy but its actually their windows. I don’t Know if its the Mylar or the glass itself, but look carefully, they have a Tint. It’s like a light indigo color.