R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B)

Well thanks for the info! If these teething issues persists, does that scrap the possibility for CBTC for the (7)? or will the MTA find some way to push it thru working or not?

They planned for issues like this. That's why the first set isnt scheduled to go into service until next winter.

However, I am slightly confused because where is the 11th car coming from? Are they just testing a 10 car unit for now? I am a complete novice when it comes to trains.

From what's been said here, I'm going to guess: R62As will be sent to the (6) [maybe 10 cars at a time]. Meanwhile, the R142As being converted to R188s will be sent to the (7) directly [which means they were likely already taken off the (6)]. The 11th would be the new b-car to be inserted into an existing 10-car set, so that would make it 11.

Again I have no knowledge of this stuff other than from what I read here.

Thought I'd jump into this thread.

A slight problem in the conversion has arisen, I've been told. A set of R142As has been outfitted with CBTC: the set, however, is performing quite badly. Teething problems, yes, but the test phase is being increased to understand what's going on. This has raised qualms amongst TSSes regarding the new R188s as pure retrofit cars, and has delayed the process. Purely what I've been told, again.

What are teething problems? What are TSSes? What's the problem with regarding the R188s as pure retrofit cars? Sorry if my questions are annoying...

Look, I know it seems like odd information and you bet it took me by surprise, but I just can't say that. The furthest I can go is say that he was a high-ranking official.

Sorry, but the first rule of reporting is that you never make off-the-record into on-the-record. And the second rule of reporting is that you never make off-the-record into on-the-record. You want to guess the third?

You really need to stress it? :(

Guest lance25

Why not? It's the most logical switch. The R62As can't go on the (5) because the line's cars usually wind up on the (2) and it doesn't make sense to send them to the (4) because Pelham has the most R142As.

I really wish this move wasn't happening. I think that the (MTA) really should be buying all new cars for the (7) if they really need to have new trains on that line and not do this retrofit stuff they are about to do to the R142A's but shit's already going underway and we the passengers are gonna have to pay for it. While the R62A's going back to the (6) isn't the worst thing in the world, I think it's unnecessary. Hell I think the whole CBTC stuff is unnecessary, but that's just me. It is what it is and while I don't like what's about to happen, I accept it.

Oh and you are fooling yourself if you think you are going to get a railfan window just becasue the R62A's are coming back to the (6). Just thought I'd add that in. :)

I really wish this move wasn't happening. I think that the (MTA) really should be buying all new cars for the (7) if they really need to have new trains on that line and not do this retrofit stuff they are about to do to the R142A's but shit's already going underway and we the passengers are gonna have to pay for it. While the R62A's going back to the (6) isn't the worst thing in the world, I think it's unnecessary. Hell I think the whole CBTC stuff is unnecessary, but that's just me. It is what it is and while I don't like what's about to happen, I accept it.
If the (MTA) buys 4 to 5 hundred new cars for the (7), then were are the 400 R62A's gonna go.... either if they retired themselves or retired the R62s, its a waste of money to replace cars good running cars

• 2 weeks later...
If the (MTA) buys 4 to 5 hundred new cars for the (7), then were are the 400 R62A's gonna go.... either if they retired themselves or retired the R62s, its a waste of money to replace cars good running cars

Like PATH is doing with its PA4 cars, which are actually newer than the R62s? They are replacing their entire fleet with the new PA5 cars. At least if the MTA were to buy new cars for the (7), it would present a chance for them to test the (7)'s tunnels to see if they can handle longer subway cars.

Oh and you are fooling yourself if you think you are going to get a railfan window just becasue the R62A's are coming back to the (6). Just thought I'd add that in. :P

Agreed. I'm almost certain the T/O's and C/R's will want a full width-cab so they have enough room to do their jobs safely and so that conductors won't have to move between cars for (6) line stations where the doors open on the left. I would also prefer to see new cars on the (7) because it presents an opportunity to look into buying subway cars longer than 51 feet.

Like PATH is doing with its PA4 cars, which are actually newer than the R62s? They are replacing their entire fleet with the new PA5 cars. At least if the MTA were to buy new cars for the (7), it would present a chance for them to test the (7)'s tunnels to see if they can handle longer subway cars.

I'm slightly confused as to what you are talking about seeing as we have hundreds of new cars on order.