R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Westchester Yard Really have to take the (7) strip maps off the R62As even we as railfanners know that when the R62A shows up at a station its a (6) and so do most of riders but it gets annoying when customers ask if they are on a (6) or (7) even though the confucters say that they are on a (6) train , all they have to do is read the rollsigns but still. I dont know what else gives it away that its a (6) tain when the station announcements say that its a Pelham bay or Parkchester (6) train on top of the fact that when it enters the station you see a huge green bullet with a (6) on it . smh

Edited by R62AR33

Westchester Yard Really have to take the (7) strip maps off the R62As even we as railfanners know that when the R62A shows up at a station its a (6) and so do most of riders but it gets annoying when customers ask if they are on a (6) or (7) even though the confucters say that they are on a (6) train , all they have to do is read the rollsigns but still. I dont know what else gives it away that its a (6) tain when the station announcements say that its a Pelham bay or Parkchester (6) train on top of the fact that when it enters the station you see a huge green bullet with a (6) on it . smh

No, the train will magically switch at 42nd st to run over to Flushing Queens.

Bill Ingvall: "There's your sign..."

Well it's very good to hear that the overall plan of the MTA to make the Flushing Line it's new high tech flagship is going along well according to schedule, considering the conditional acceptance testing of the R188's was washed out temporarily because of the major storm last year (rockaway test tracks). NTT's, CBTC near complete with completion of a new subway addition to the IRT on the horizon. Personally speaking this is exciting news, it is indeed something to make a big deal about. 

I'm wondering if the R188 consist will be running on the weekend as well starting next week? If I recall correctly when the 30 day tests started on the R142's debut on the (2) it only ran on weekdays. Reason why I'm asking is because I would love to get footage on the car consist eventually, why not? (might as well cut to the chase here....)

The R62A's are headed to the 2 line, making 7th Avenue all SMEE and Lexington Avenue all NTT's. The current 2 line fleet is being shipped to the 6. There is now only one set of R62A' on the 6.

Are you sure? What is the point of doing that? If what you say is infact true would they send the not converted R142As on the (6) to the (4) and the R142s on the (4) to the (6) so the (4) and the (6) have one fleet of subway cars. On your account it says Transit worker but what is your source? And when would some R62As go to the (2) if this going to happen?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Edited by Union Tpke

Well I can see the argument in that this change in fleet yard assignments is quite odd and goes contrary to the practice of having only particular fleets assigned to one yard per route, but technically the 180th Street Yard/Shop does handle storage and light maintenance and 239th Street Yard (specifically storage) of R62's and 142's on  the (2)(3)(4) and (5) so it *could* be done even as unusual these moves are in yard assignments are, from the current practice. But now what about the R62's on the (3) if the R62A's are to be moved there?

Plus this is coming from a transit worker so I wouldn't invalidate this so quickly. Better then we wait and see what actually happens, unless an additional transit worker can confirm this.

Edit: See below post.

Edited by realizm

I did see two sets of R62A's @ Westchester a week ago or so over the weekend ( OOS ) , with one of them designated as a (7) . Alright from the responses I am reading until a second transit worker can confirm this I will have to stay neutral on this speculation.

Same here on the staying neutral.