R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

The R62A's are headed to the 2 line, making 7th Avenue all SMEE and Lexington Avenue all NTT's.  The current 2 line fleet is being shipped to the 6.  There is now only one set of R62A's on the 6.

I also call bullshit on this one. All three R62A sets ran on the (6) yesterday and today as well.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also call bullshit on this one. All three R62A sets ran on the (6) yesterday and today as well.

Also I got the word from a friend of mine as soon as the R188s hit the (7) line sometime next week flushing is loosing another set of R62As to the (6) so , that post i call bs it is probably a fake profile with someone just randomly trying to spread rumors , there has been no word of R62As ever going on the (2) and what gave up that he is lying and is probably just bored is when he said there is just one set of R62As on the   (6) when all the 3 sets have been out yesterday and today , with as well Westchester being scheduled to get another set of R62As soon .

Edited by R62AR33

Also I got the word from a friend of mine as soon as the R188s hit the (7) line sometime next week flushing is loosing another set of R62As to the (6) so , that post i call bs it is probably a fake profile with someone just randomly trying to spread rumors , there has been no word of R62As ever going on the (2) and what gave up that he is lying and is probably just bored is when he said there is just one set of R62As on the   (6) when all the 3 sets have been out yesterday and today , with as well Westchester being scheduled to get another set of R62As soon .

First of all....I don't know who your friend is but you might want to start questioning them on the info they're giving you because it consistently deserves questioning.

Second, the car exchanges are based on the movement of one yard and one yard only....Westchester. When Westchester gives up a train to Kawasaki, it in turn receives trains from Corona, 240th or a combination of the two. Obviously 240th is temporarily loaning out it's equipment.

Third, this person may not think they're lying as the info had truth to it at one point. It's just outdated. NYCT originally requested Bombardier to take on this project. They declined because of capacity issues since they are already working on the R179 project. Had they accepted the number one candidate was the cars belonging to 239th Street yard for the 2 line. However I've always felt everyone would've came to their senses and realized the only line with Bombardier cars capable of handling the transition would've been the 4 line and those cars from Mosholu yard.

First of all....I don't know who your friend is but you might want to start questioning them on the info they're giving you because it consistently deserves questioning.

Second, the car exchanges are based on the movement of one yard and one yard only....Westchester. When Westchester gives up a train to Kawasaki, it in turn receives trains from Corona, 240th or a combination of the two. Obviously 240th is temporarily loaning out it's equipment.

Third, this person may not think they're lying as the info had truth to it at one point. It's just outdated. NYCT originally requested Bombardier to take on this project. They declined because of capacity issues since they are already working on the R179 project. Had they accepted the number one candidate was the cars belonging to 239th Street yard for the 2 line. However I've always felt everyone would've came to their senses and realized the only line with Bombardier cars capable of handling the transition would've been the 4 line and those cars from Mosholu yard.

Thanks for the clear-up RTO, for the 1000th time people STOP with the speculation.

Trust me its gonna be soon they're running out of time and space at 239/180th

Running out of space at 239? Are you kidding? First of all none of the 188s are kept at 239 yard. They have no reason to go up there unless they use M track as a test track. Second there won't be such a thing as running out of space at E180 because there are plenty of other big yards that can hold the new deliveries. Coney Island yard holds a couple of them now as the Sea Beach line is used for testing.

Running out of space at 239? Are you kidding? First of all none of the 188s are kept at 239 yard. They have no reason to go up there unless they use M track as a test track. Second there won't be such a thing as running out of space at E180 because there are plenty of other big yards that can hold the new deliveries. Coney Island yard holds a couple of them now as the Sea Beach line is used for testing.

At this point you shouldn't even bother responding It's not gonna get any better. 

Under the category of non-speculation but instead actual experience, I finally got on an R62A on my daily (6) this morning. First car was 1791 if I remember right. Have to say, I like the old equipment as a railfan, but as a commuter, I miss the R142As. The A/C barely worked so the car was a sauna, and the combination of half-cabs and bucket seats meant that very few seats were available so the car was absolutely crushloaded. Nobody on the train was too happy, although it was still an interesting experience on novelty alone. Have to see if other sets run a little better. I can't even remember the last time I rode a non-NTT in the (6); was thrown for a real shock when I saw that old bulkhead rounding the curve and no LED sign up top.

Edited by MHV9218

They actually need the space for in passenger trains, a lot of R188s were stored in E180th with one to two sets in CI yard, hence why they kicked the redbirds out of unionport yd, these R188s have been coming in fast, plus everything is behind schedule so of course they gotta get moving plus they can't keep on giving away equipment to the (6) basically now the (2) and have no replacement, that's why I said these yards mainly E180th is getting overcrowded due to these cars coming in fast

Under the category of non-speculation but instead actual experience, I finally got on an R62A on my daily (6) this morning. First car was 1791 if I remember right. Have to say, I like the old equipment as a railfan, but as a commuter, I miss the R142As. The A/C barely worked so the car was a sauna, and the combination of half-cabs and bucket seats meant that very few seats were available so the car was absolutely crushloaded. Nobody on the train was too happy, although it was still an interesting experience on novelty alone. Have to see if other sets run a little better. I can't even remember the last time I rode a non-NTT in the (6); was thrown for a real shock when I saw that old bulkhead rounding the curve and no LED sign up top.

Don't worry about that, they're gonna move these to the (2), there was an R62A on the (2) this morning

and the combination of half-cabs and bucket seats meant that very few seats were available so the car was absolutely crushloaded.

I will grant you this on the topic of half cabs, but as far as bucket seats go, to be fair, wouldn't the crush loading issue also exist on R142s? The only difference I might imagine is that more people will get to sit down, but with more standing room available that will just allow more people to squeeze onto the train as standees, thus defeating the whole purpose of bench seats, no?

I will grant you this on the topic of half cabs, but as far as bucket seats go, to be fair, wouldn't the crush loading issue also exist on R142s? The only difference I might imagine is that more people will get to sit down, but with more standing room available that will just allow more people to squeeze onto the train as standees, thus defeating the whole purpose of bench seats, no?

The bench seats are just a little more flexible when it comes to seating -- people can squeeze in between spots, regardless of their own size. With bucket seats, it's a lot less flexible, especially with the odd overweight or large-sized customer. The end effect of that is fewer people sit, and with more people standing it gets more crushed. Now, at some stations (125 and 59 come to mind) you're right--the extra standing room will get filled by the masses on the platforms. But at others, like 51 and 33 (crowded local stations with usually just enough people to fill up the train), it just feels more full than it would with the same number of people on an R142A. The half cab definitely makes the most dramatic difference though, as you both lose seats and you lose standing room since you can't lean over the bench. 

Same time, I'll be a disappointed railfan if the R62As get taken off the (6) so quickly, even if a happy commuter.

there is going to be lots of standing during AM/PM Rush Hours on the (7) line regardless on the R188/142A but there will be a much comfortable trip with the bench seats on the 188's for sure. Me (a (7)  train and other lines rider/ fanatic) know for sure the (7)  is still going to be crowded with R188 arriving regardless but a much comfortable and safe trip