R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the latest with these cars? For the 7 line?

As soon as train crew R188 training is complete for all those assigned to the (7) . The spin-off of the revenue service 30 day test was supposed to happen this past week however apparently the TSS's I'm guessing felt that some of the RTO personnel needs additional training. (Why? That's beyond me, good question.) I wouldn't anticipate it happening next week either with the change in plans. That is probably the reason for the delay, but that is a guess.

Edited by realizm

Well I was looking through discarded pics from the photo thread made yesterday found on my SD card (I totally forgot I still had it, thought I deleted it) these two pics @ Coney Island Complex, taken from inside a R160 on the (N) at about 4'ish. I don't recall R188's in testing today (sucks, on my day off too...) on the (N) and I checked *twice* to and from Flushing heading to the BMT Brighton for photos:

6czs.jpg

wixh.jpg

Too far away to see the car numbers and it could simply be R142/142A's in repair unrelated to the R188 conversion cars to be placed on the 30 day test but now that tccsubwayfan mentioned it, it makes me wonder now what the deal really is to why the R188's never hit the road for in revenue testing this week? Need for additional RTO training runs as I first suggested or is it really mechanical issues with one of the two R188 sets available?  

You both bring up good points.

I never went up to E180th St yard yesterday where they keep one of the two R188 sets (spotted it two weeks ago) so I have no idea what's going on there, it's anyone's guess.

Thoughts?

Edited by realizm

realizm is right. Training still hasn't completed. There are some folk here who are REALLY resistant to going back to school, and yet picked the (7) KNOWING that the R188s were coming, and will call out sick every time they get forced into a class. Same thing happened with the R160's. Go yell at them for the delays......

Why do you guys so desperately want to see the R188 in service? A couple years from now all you guys will be nostalgic about when the R62As ran on the 7

I actually find this order to be the best of both worlds. New and semi-new equipment on the (7), older cars on the (6).