R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Agree that there's no need to retrofit the R142s with FINDs for when they're reasigned to the (7). About the only thing you can do with the (7) is reroute a local train onto the express track. You can't even reroute a downtown (7) onto the (N) line without doing a reverse move, not that there would be any reason to do that to an in-service (7) train.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(E)xactly so it would be a waste.Has anyone been on an R142/A with a broken or malfunctioning/ed Strip Map? I haven't my 10yrs or so riding them either they were

1.Working or

2.Off(Electric Strip maps are not in service please listen to announcements and watch the display).

I’m more than OK with FIND displays on an orphaned line like the 7. The FIND is better IMO because it shows only the stations the train is stopping at, while on the 7 a strip map will show every station and depends on the customer to know that the light designates whether this train is stopping there or not.

I’m more than OK with FIND displays on an orphaned line like the 7. The FIND is better IMO because it shows only the stations the train is stopping at, while on the 7 a strip map will show every station and depends on the customer to know that the light designates whether this train is stopping there or not.

In my opinion the strip maps are just as effective as the FINDs in showing the stations where the train will stop. The person has to be stupid in order not to understand what the strip map is showing. The FINDs can be harder to figure out, in that respect, though they're better in showing how many stops until the stop you wanna get off. Even if someone doesn't realize how the strip maps work right away, after a couple of stops he or she will be used to them. I'm not saying that the 7 should get strip maps. I prefer anything that's newer technology over older. But, we should also think on how much it's worth it for the (MTA) to waste money especially since these trains cannot be rerouted to another line. There are other things around the system on which they can spend money that are far more urgent, I believe.

In my opinion the strip maps are just as effective as the FINDs in showing the stations where the train will stop. The person has to be stupid in order not to understand what the strip map is showing. The FINDs can be harder to figure out, in that respect, though they're better in showing how many stops until the stop you wanna get off. Even if someone doesn't realize how the strip maps work right away, after a couple of stops he or she will be used to them. I'm not saying that the 7 should get strip maps. I prefer anything that's newer technology over older. But, we should also think on how much it's worth it for the (MTA) to waste money especially since these trains cannot be rerouted to another line. There are other things around the system on which they can spend money that are far more urgent, I believe.

However just because these trains are going to be on the 7 now it doesnt mean that 20 years down the road they can't get bumped to the 5. FINDs will make it easier if the trains have to switch lines.

However just because these trains are going to be on the 7 now it doesnt mean that 20 years down the road they can't get bumped to the 5. FINDs will make it easier if the trains have to switch lines.

That's true. But even if they do, given the current financial situation of the (MTA) it would be wise to save a few pennies here and there. Also, since they'll form 11 car trains I think they'll stay on the 7 for a long time. It will also be the only CBTC compatible IRT line for a long time to come. That's the main purpose if this whole conversion/new cars program, isn't it? They can use new strip maps if they want to move them to other lines. Financially speaking strip maps don't make sense now. But, don't get me wrong, I'd love the new cars to have them!

That's never been a problem on the (4), (5) and (6) lines whose strip maps show all the stations the trains stop at. People know that the (4) train is not going to stop at 23rd Street or Grand Army Plaza at two in the afternoon. They know that peak-direction (5) trains aren't going to stop at Simpson Street and that peak-direction (6) trains aren't going to stop at Elder Avenue. Why would it be any different with the (7) local and <7> express trains? At least in the (7)/<7> case, both trains have the same terminals at both ends, unlike the Parkchester (6) local and Pelham Bay Park <6> express. So it is not necessary to spend extra time, effort and money to install FIND maps on the R142As when they already have an perfectly good way of alerting passengers about which stops the train is making. Just because it's a simpler technology doesn't automatically make it an inferior one.

With all this talk about strip maps and FIND systems, I want to know will R142A cars be mixed in with R188 cars? If so, then the R142A needs to be upgraded to the FIND's so that all the cars have that same, consistant look. If not, then leave it as is.

Guest lance25
NYCTF Exclusive!

The MTA has awarded a base contract for 33 R188's for the Flushing (7) line. The order includes 23 standard R188's, and 10 converted R142A's. The contract total is more than $87 Million.

Kawasaki will convert the cab (A cars) within it's Yonkers facility. The B cars will be converted jointly with the MTA, at the 207th Street Overhaul Shop.

R142(46 eleven car set inserts) - The R142A is a 10 car train set. Therefore the 11th car will be added to each set to make a converted R188 or R142C. The first conversion set is to be completed by this time next year.

R188(10 eleven car sets) - Delivery is slated for the 4th quarter of 2012. These 23 cars, will make up 2 new 11 car trains. The 23rd car will be inserted with a converted R142A.

MTA also holds options for an additional 473 cars. (123 new cars, and 350 R142A converted cars.) The option contract is already set to be awarded, as previously mentioned in another thread.

Today, the MTA Board approved an expedited change order procedure. I'm not sure what the technical details were. The order will go to Kawasaki for all 506 cars. Delivery of these cars, including options that will be exercised will, run through 2015:cool:

From page 1 of this thread.

With all this talk about strip maps and FIND systems, I want to know will R142A cars be mixed in with R188 cars? If so, then the R142A needs to be upgraded to the FIND's so that all the cars have that same, consistant look. If not, then leave it as is.

The R188's are going to be exclusive to the (7) line... so there is no reason why they would be mixing with the R142A fleet at all in service.

The R188's are going to be exclusive to the (7) line... so there is no reason why they would be mixing with the R142A fleet at all in service.

What exactly do you mean? The 188's and 142's will be mixed, and I highly doubt they are going to stay on the (7) line exclusively in the future.

What exactly do you mean? The 188's and 142's will be mixed, and I highly doubt they are going to stay on the (7) line exclusively in the future.

For the time being (at least 2-3 years) they should be exclusive to the (7) line only. Unless I don't know any better, you tell me where else they would be running 11 car trainsets on the IRT. Besides, I see no sensibility in mixing the two types if one is to be CBTC compatible and the other is not.

I hope to God they don't put the Alstom propulsion on the R188's or R142A's. We don't need anymore Alstom crap on the trains.

Agreed! Alstom propulsions suck. I hate that errrr-ahhh-errrrrr-EEEEEEE-errrrr-eeeeee sound especialy because the errrrrr-eeeeeee sound repeats and repeats. When it stops its errrrrr-eeeeee-errrrrrr-eeeeeee-errrrrrr-ah-ooooo

The bombardier propulsion on the R142A makes a good sound like er-ahhhhhhhhhhhh-mmmmmm-MMMMMMMM-MMMMMMMMMM and when it stops its like eeeerrrrrrr-eeeeerrrrrrrr-ahhhhhhhhhhh-eh.

The siemens souns good too. Its like errrrrrr-ahhhhhh-ooooooooooh and when it stops its like ahhhhhh-ooooooooh-eeeerrrrrrr.

Siemens and bombardier propulsions for life!!

Agreed! Alstom propulsions suck. I hate that errrr-ahhh-errrrrr-EEEEEEE-errrrr-eeeeee sound especialy because the errrrrr-eeeeeee sound repeats and repeats. When it stops its errrrrr-eeeeee-errrrrrr-eeeeeee-errrrrrr-ah-ooooo

The bombardier propulsion on the R142A makes a good sound like er-ahhhhhhhhhhhh-mmmmmm-MMMMMMMM-MMMMMMMMMM and when it stops its like eeeerrrrrrr-eeeeerrrrrrrr-ahhhhhhhhhhh-eh.

The siemens souns good too. Its like errrrrrr-ahhhhhh-ooooooooooh and when it stops its like ahhhhhh-ooooooooh-eeeerrrrrrr.

Its a bootleg R-142 propulsion but with extra more annoying notes.At least the Bombs loud ass HVAC's are cover ups.:P

:eek:

wow

For the time being (at least 2-3 years) they should be exclusive to the (7) line only. Unless I don't know any better, you tell me where else they would be running 11 car trainsets on the IRT. Besides, I see no sensibility in mixing the two types if one is to be CBTC compatible and the other is not.

Yeah, for the time being they won't be going anywhere. The sets can be broken down though.

I still don't understand what you are saying about mixing cars. The R142A's and R188's will essentially be the same car. An R188 car will be added to the each of the R142A sets. There will also be full 11 car sets of all R188's as well. They will all be CBTC compatible. That's the whole point of this procurement.

I know, but most of the questions/comments are rehashes that could be answered if people just looked at earlier posts in the thread. To me, this thread has played itself out and there's no point in any more comments till the first 11-car set is officially running on the (7), imo.

I see where you are coming from, but we've never done that before except for the R179 thread. That was re-opened, and that contract still hasn't even been awarded yet.

The C40 and test bus threads were started almost a year ago, and those were left open.

The converted R142A set is due to be delivered in 6 months. I see no need for it to close.