R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to be the one that says it but you shouldn't be that close to the edge in the first place

Especially with all of the CBTC stuff being done and the random announcements that remind customers to stay away from the platform edge, I have mixed feelings on this situation I feel sorry for her to die in such a horrific way but on the other hand she should've known better.

Sad as it is this is losing shock value for the worse. This is quite common, so common that it's to almost be expected.

Sad but true

Honestly, at some of these stations, it's so crowded on the platform that you have no choice but to walk near the platform edge. Even though she died in a horrific way, it doesn't mean that it was her fault that she fell in the tracks.

Yes in fact now that this incident is hitting the newspapers, it has been cited by eyewitnesses that as the paramedics were rushing the woman out of GCT she was still (amazingly) conscious with her eyes open, although she could not speak being in severe shock and bleeding profusely. I didn't read anything about loss of limbs. I think she may survive this one.

Really hope that she is doing good at the moment and will survive.

On another note though, how long would a train be taken out of service for investigation or other purposes after incidents like this?

How many sets are on the 7 line now? I saw 7811-7821 going to Times Square from ssyd but then shortly after that I've seen another set but I couldn't make out the numbers going towards Main Street.

I am not one to be quick to jump to conclusions myself but many are saying that they spotted 7811-7821 earlier today which is the set that almost went FUBAR with the previously busted compressor problem, no? And 7822-7832 was out there until the 12-9 occurred ( and I wish her a safe recovery). That is until another stated this set is also back in service.

So would expect two R188 sets to be out there at any given point.  One officially in revenue service, meaning expect to see it past 8PM and possibly running throughout the night for all we know, and the other set going through the rounds of its 30 day revenue service test meaning it will be out there between 7AM to 8PM only.

I am not one to be quick to jump to conclusions myself but many are saying that they spotted 7811-7821 earlier today which is the set that almost went FUBAR with the previously busted compressor problem, no? And 7822-7832 was out there until the 12-9 occurred ( and I wish her a safe recovery). That is until another stated this set is also back in service.

So would expect two R188 sets to be out there at any given point.  One officially in revenue service, meaning expect to see it past 8PM and possibly running throughout the night for all we know, and the other set going through the rounds of its 30 day revenue service test meaning it will be out there between 7AM to 8PM only.

Once the new rolling stock passes the test, the other sets are brought in without requiring a 30-day acceptance test. The R188's passed the test so other sets are set to be brought in for regualr service.

I rode the R188 twice myself yesterday (7811-7821). The train seemed to be having problems going Queens bound around 9:30 PM. At GCT and 46 St, right as the train was about to start moving it went BIE. The train started moving again right after, and the IC beep kept going off in the cabs between every other stop.

I hear there are now 4 sets of R62A on the (6) , even though I only have 35 cars listed. 1706-1710 is still on the (7) , I saw it twice yesterday. I hear the 5th set includes 2016-2020, but they're converting 2016 to a full cab (2020 already has one).