R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do yall have proof?

No I just get my info from here and from asking around. The only proof of how I know the C car is having problems is the obvious fact that no conversion sets are in service, however the is also the chance that there are other problems, I don't know.

Why couldnt the newly built R188's be put into separate sets by itself. Is it necessary for the R142A converted sets to be linked with the new built R188's. The MTA can't make the converted R142A/R188's into 11 car?

Well. They are. Isn't 7811-7821 and 7822-7832 all new R188s? 

The reason why the conversion cars are being linked with the R188 is because it needs that extra car. 

So a R142A's can't be put into 11 cars unless it has a new R188 with it?

They can, but then you'd be left with a bunch of useless 4-car sets. No IRT line runs 8-car trains. Only the 42nd St Shuttle's middle track runs 4-car trains, but it doesn't need a whole bunch of 4-car sets to do that.

Why didn't the MTA just order R188's for the Flushing Line and leave the R142A's alone.  This is the first time they've taken newer cars and converted them.   Conversions/modifications previously were only done to renovate old equipment. R11 to R34, modifying old BRT gate cars to Q's, modifying R32's, R38's, R40's and slants, R42, etc.  The apparently didn't have the money

Why didn't the MTA just order R188's for the Flushing Line and leave the R142A's alone. This is the first time they've taken newer cars and converted them. Conversions/modifications previously were only done to renovate old equipment. R11 to R34, modifying old BRT gate cars to Q's, modifying R32's, R38's, R40's and slants, R42, etc. The apparently didn't have the money

But then where would the R62As go? Those are still in good shape. If those R62s were old then yeah they would get all R188s

I went all the way from Citi Field to Times Square today, not a single R188, and none were in the yards. Strange

There are plenty of occasions you could have missed the trains:

1. In the tubes under Manhattan and the river.

2. Between Citi Field and Flushing Main street.

3. In the Corona Yard sheds.