R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

They numbered the cars wrong anyway... (personal opinion)

They should have numbered the 5 car sets in the 7800s and the 6 car sets and singles 7900s & up...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

They should've had everything in sets of 5 (the new R188s as 5 car sets only) with the 6th car as an insert (to the R142A converts). Afterall that's the whole point of 'rebuilding' the R142As-to be compatible with the new cars.* But then again, all they needed was 8 more R160s and the 10 car sets would've been in 1-5,6-0 sets instead of 3-7,8-2 and they have more 8-car sets in the 9900s or something. The only good thing is the R62As singles are finally being arranged as 5 car consecutive sets. So all they need is to rebuild the GCT S TS platform to hold 5 car trains and use 5 car sets there.

*since it seems we have entire 11 car sets, I just hope an accident to one car doesn't mean the entire 11 car train is OOS, but it seems like it could be the case.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should've had everything in sets of 5 (the new R188s as 5 car sets only) with the 6th car as an insert (to the R142A converts). Afterall that's the whole point of 'rebuilding' the R142As-to be compatible with the new cars.* But then again, all they needed was 8 more R160s and the 10 car sets would've been in 1-5,6-0 sets instead of 3-7,8-2 and they have more 8-car sets in the 9900s or something. The only good thing is the R62As singles are finally being arranged as 5 car consecutive sets. So all they need is to rebuild the GCT S TS platform to hold 5 car trains and use 5 car sets there.

*since it seems we have entire 11 car sets, I just hope an accident to one car doesn't mean the entire 11 car train is OOS, but it seems like it could be the case.

We don't have 11 car sets...its just all 11 cars (5 car set and 6 car set) in consecutive order

There is no bug. There really is no time to program the train as trains are typically in and out at Times Square. In all honesty the arriving conductor should preset it as the train is approaching Times Square to help save time.

Too bad there isn't something more automated/computerized.  As a train enters the last stop, all displays reset.   Probably, way too technical and expensive, but hey in a year or two it will be CBTC.

I'll say this... the system is getting more and more technical and maybe it's not a bad thing, but when something malfuctions it will be a big mess.   For instance, Metrocard Vending Machines... they sometimes don't take change or don't take cash period, and there is no clerk around.

Too bad there isn't something more automated/computerized.  As a train enters the last stop, all displays reset.   Probably, way too technical and expensive, but hey in a year or two it will be CBTC.

I'll say this... the system is getting more and more technical and maybe it's not a bad thing, but when something malfuctions it will be a big mess.   For instance, Metrocard Vending Machines... they sometimes don't take change or don't take cash period, and there is no clerk around.

Just imagine what'll happen when we switch to the new fare payment. I'm pretty sure all of us have experienced using a credit card reader at a store that wasn't connecting properly to the network. Now multiply that over every single turnstile within the system, and on buses.

7211-7220 with 7899 taking too long with the repairs and a second converted set is on standby, anyone knows if the R142A converted set is scheduled to be in service. On the other hand, the Corona yard is borrowing sets from the 1 train to not cause a shortage and the 240 Street yard is also borrowing set from the 3 train, there is irony in this process.

That's technology in general. It's the future. And the future usually comes with new ways to minimize the problems that could be faced.

It's probably possible, though it'd have to be hard coded it or something. I'm not sure of the specifics obviously as this isn't my area of expertise.

What about 7833-7844? I thought it was 7845-7849

The numbers run in a pattern...so the last digit will always be the same since its 11 cars. You specifically, is counting as regular numbers but you have to count car 7833 as one. So this third set is 7833-7843. Look at the pattern.

7811-7821

7822-7832

7833-7843.

The last digit is the same, the second to last digit is one up, when your talking about a whole set.

The cars on both ends of the 11-car train have the same last digit. 7844-7854 is the set after that.

R62As 1761-1765 are now on the (6) , I caught it earlier today , also when I got off at Van Courtlandt Pk on the (1) to go home tonight ,i caught R188 7836 being transferred on a truck ,

You likely saw 7856 And even that would be a little on the odd side since deliveries are done in number order. Currently 7852-7854 sit at 239.

Honestly, there are R188's everywhere.   Aren't there some @ Coney Island yard?  The first set was @ East 180 St. yard because of the testing on the Dyre Ave. line.   I'm curious how much mileage these cars already have by the time they finally reach the tracks for passengers use?   Are all the sets going through this vigorous testing?  Wouldn't it make sense to have everything done at one facility?  Parts get installed in Brooklyn.   I'm surprised the Corona yard couldn't have been set up to do this.   The last new cars ordered for the Flushing Line were the

R-33WF (singles) and R-36WF (married pairs).  Anyone know if back in 1963-4 when these cars were delivered from St. Louis Car, if they went through all these tests?

They had to quickly be placed in service for the opening of the New York World's Fair, in April 1964.