R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ENTIRE R142A fleet is going to be converted to R188s,  The R142's will have FIND displays installed.  As for where the displaced R62A's will be going, watch for some interesting fleet assignments over the next few years.  Eventually, I see all lines except the 2 and 5 running mixed fleets of NTT's and R62/62A's.  The 62/62A fleet should be rebuilt with AC propulsion, digital signs, automatic announcements, and CBTC capabilities.  I'd also like to see the entire subway fleet made FRA compliant.

Ok, smart one...

*sarcasm*

I've seen worse.

Wallyhorse with his around -15 downvotes on a thread he started with a bunch of proposals I believe.

Saw that converted set today...completely disappointed in it...

Other than the CBTC panel at the ends of the A cars and that one new light right above it, it looks like they pulled that train straight off the (6). Sill looks beat to high hell and looks like they did nothing to the cars at all..caught a picture of it...

1509037_10202320091037996_2082214475_n.j

Enough of the crap.

A throwback vid showing the railfans and R188's at their finest.

Turn up and enjoy.

Lmao you can hear me in the background

Other than the CBTC panel at the ends of the A cars and that one new light right above it, it looks like they pulled that train straight off the (6). Sill looks beat to high hell and looks like they did nothing to the cars at all..caught a picture of it...1509037_10202320091037996_2082214475_n.j

I can't stop obnoxiously laughing at that converted train what a crock of shit.

And you're proud of it?

LOL, thought it sounded familiar anyhow. Now everyone knows.

Lmao we were all just joking around. My video from that same spot (can't post the video link from my phone) had more of me being profane

Edit: here it is

Edited by Fresh Pond

You know what's actually starting to annoy me?

(1) People ACTUALLY thinking that the converted cars would have gotten something more than the installation of CBTC.

(2) People complaining on how all the NTTs look the same. Without even knowing the reasons. Even though the reason is only three words.

For "fans" or "buffs" (why does that second word irk me?), people complain a lot for no reason.

---------------------------------------------

Oh, and why don't the new cars have the flag? They might just be putting them on later. That or the (MTA) finally realized how sucky America has become.

Other than the CBTC panel at the ends of the A cars and that one new light right above it, it looks like they pulled that train straight off the (6). Sill looks beat to high hell and looks like they did nothing to the cars at all..caught a picture of it...

1509037_10202320091037996_2082214475_n.j

That might just have me only ride the C car when I ride those conversions... The (6) R142A's are a disaster and they are gonna make the (7) the brand new disaster...

(1) People ACTUALLY thinking that the converted cars would have gotten something more than the installation of CBTC.

(2) People complaining on how all the NTTs look the same. Without even knowing the reasons. Even though the reason is only three words.

Concerning the first, I'd think they'd at least get a cleaning. I mean, they were sitting idle with mechanical problems for months. How hard would it have been to get a crew with some sponges and a mop and tidy up the damn thing?

Also, I really wanted them to fix the damn brakes on those cars. When they were on the 6, it was like riding an untamed horse with all the buckling the train does trying to stop.

Regarding your second point, I really don't care about the train's looks. I mean I really can't stand those periwinkle seats that keep permeating the entire fleet of cars from the new techs to the older trains, but that's a minor gripe I have. After all, look at the history of the subway cars. Most orders made within the same decade or so looked pretty much the same with maybe a few cosmetic differences. It's a maintenance thing. Similar designs keep the costs down on parts.

Edited by Lance

Has the ride quality improved on the converted sets?

It's abit worse then the (6) still buckles and they have to break hard , im not sure if it was the set or not , but going into willets point the motorman had to brake hard , and it cause emergency breaks to go off .

Edited by R62AR33

I think throughout the years that Corona would take care of these R142A's R188's, because It seems that the one's on the (4) are much better.

Anyways, when the (7) is all R188, the chance of getting a brand new car to a converted car is basically the same as getting an R142A on the (4) as to getting an R142, right?

EDIT: Wrong train XD

Edited by R188 7857

For "fans" or "buffs" (why does that second word irk me?), people complain a lot for no reason.

---------------------------------------------

Oh, and why don't the new cars have the flag? They might just be putting them on later. That or the (MTA) finally realized how sucky America has become.

Complaining about complainers will certainly resolve the issue at hand... Edited by ScreechyFlange

Well the brakes don't squeal anymore so at last they touched that. But there's still dirt and grime all in the vents, seats still scratched up here and they're, one of the signs is still messed up. If it was it of service for this long, you would think a conversion would also upgrade everything both inside and out to make it seem "new", not just lazily put it together. If you look at 7219 or 7220 compared to 7899, out just looks like they haphazardly suck a car in there and called it a day

You guys are funny if you think the MTA is going to be dropping $$$ on stuff that is not essential for a CBTC conversion.

How about stuff that's essential for making the trains run? Those buckling brakes issues cannot be good for these trains long-term.