R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7833-7844 is in service? Since when? Using Tapatalk

The train in the photos I took (today) was in testing, notice the doors are opening in reverse. It was OOS. We all caught it, iStop ans trainrider10, it was still marked with Kawasaki flyers inside with personnel inside in the lead cars with laptops monitoring the performance of the cars.

Edited by realizm

Just as a heads up: Caught these cars in testing today with iStopRequest321 and trainrider10, full 11 car set:

12058332673_f382148342_b.jpg

12058041935_a7d2be979f_b.jpg

Sorry, I could not see the video in the post because the device I am on. Otherwise I would have noticed what set it was and that it is testing. Using Tapatalk

No probs.

I just took pics, quickly at that, that set was flying, barely got it in time because my camera wasnt set, didnt see it coming, the video was R42N's. Looks like the same set in his video. (I had no time to switch to video mode).

Edited by realizm

Just saw a R188 test train going to Corona at GC!

Here's a video I took.

It's a test train, the doors opened on the other side, a sign on the door said "Not in service - Test Train". And also they weren't moving it somewhere else as you can only get out of the flushing line from Queensboro Edited by R42N

My thing is if your gonna label it as new, at last make it look new

I think they should've just waited another 10yrs when it comes time to retire the R62/as and then give the 7 brand new trains from the start. That way no issues about making a 10yr old train compatible with the new ones (ie: r160s haven't been combined with R143s in service afaik, otherwise they could've built an R160 a car and run it with the other 3 R143s from that canarsie yard set). I just hope it doesn't mean the new R188 cars have to retire at 30 when the R142A converts are 40. Or can those converts last till they are 50 when the R188s are 40?

@Grand Concourse: The problems with waiting until the 62s reach retirement age are 1) Flushing riders will have to wait at least another decade for better service; 2) the signals along the Flushing line would likely have to be replaced twice, the first time with traditional signals and again for CBTC; and 3) 2025 is a nominal date for retirement of those cars. We all know how the MTA is when dealing with schedules. We're still waiting for replacements for the nearly 50 year old 32s, so what's to say the replacements for the 62s won't arrive until some time after 2025?

I think they should've just waited another 10yrs when it comes time to retire the R62/as and then give the 7 brand new trains from the start. That way no issues about making a 10yr old train compatible with the new ones (ie: r160s haven't been combined with R143s in service afaik, otherwise they could've built an R160 a car and run it with the other 3 R143s from that canarsie yard set). I just hope it doesn't mean the new R188 cars have to retire at 30 when the R142A converts are 40. Or can those converts last till they are 50 when the R188s are 40?

Remember when it comes to retiring trains , the (MTA) are never on schedule even though the R62/As are supposed to be retired 2023-2028 cause that's what the (MTA) are predicting add 5 yrs to that  just in case..

Judging by what I've seen when riding R142A/S on the (4), they are much better than the ones on the (6).

What they should have done, even though it would have been more work, was to take all the R142A's from the (4) and convert them into R188's. That way, the fleet number can be equal and the converted sets wouldn't be just the load of sh*t from the (6). If they needed more, they would start from the 76xx on the (6) and start going down, so the fleet numbers can be eve. It would also make the conversion sets not look so crappy.. Then the remainder of R142A's on the (6) would head to the (4) and the R62A's would go to the (6).

A lot more work, but in my opinion would be better for the conditions of the cars on the (7). They would last longer. 

Edited by R188 7857

Judging by what I've seen when riding R142A/S on the (4), they are much better than the ones on the (6).

What they should have done, even though it would have been more work, was to take all the R142A's from the (4) and convert them into R188's. That way, the fleet number can be equal and the converted sets wouldn't be just the load of sh*t from the (6). If they needed more, they would start from the 76xx on the (6) and start going down, so the fleet numbers can be eve. It would also make the conversion sets not look so crappy.. Then the remainder of R142A's on the (6) would head to the (4) and the R62A's would go to the (6).

A lot more work, but in my opinion would be better for the conditions of the cars on the (7). They would last longer. 

Plus a lot of "unjustified" overtime for all that work that people seem to keep complaining about too. In the end it would be unnecessary just for the sake of getting the numbers clean.

That is still alot of unnecessary work moving cars around when the R62A's would still end up going to the (6) , its much easier Westchester and Corona swapping cars than your plan , but i see where you are coming from.

I don't think those cars in the 2000 range are going to the (6) (I can be wrong) i know the remaining singles are not, the single cars its unknown where they'll end up at, it seems that they're not converting those half cabs at the other end, once all the 1700/1800 are gone off the (7) it looks like the RFW end of those cars will face the flushing side again until they're moved out of corona

I don't think those cars in the 2000 range are going to the (6) (I can be wrong) i know the remaining singles are not, the single cars its unknown where they'll end up at, it seems that they're not converting those half cabs at the other end, once all the 1700/1800 are gone off the (7) it looks like the RFW end of those cars will face the flushing side again until they're moved out of corona

There probably gonna send the singles off once all the 5 car sets are off the (7) Line, Then they will start pairing them up and go to the (6) line.

Yeah, I definitely agree about the R142A's on the (4). They are in MUCH better shape than most of the R142As on the (6). I ride both lines daily. The squeaky brakes on the some R142A (6) drive me nuts. Not to mention half of the side LEDs are f*cked up in some way, shape or form. I rarely ever see those issues with the R142A on the (4)

ie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIfO935ykZ4

r142a_6_train_at_125th_st_station_by_gta