R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Yeah, I definitely agree about the R142A's on the (4). They are in MUCH better shape than most of the R142As on the (6). I ride both lines daily. The squeaky brakes on the some R142A (6) drive me nuts. Not to mention half of the side LEDs are f*cked up in some way, shape or form. I rarely ever see those issues with the R142A on the (4)

ie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIfO935ykZ4

:o

I finally get to see an R142A (8) train :P

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I caught one of the R188 sets yesterday at 90th St but it was on the express track and I was on a train in the station, so I do not know what set it was. I only was able to take a video of it for 9 measly seconds. I need help posting things to youtube. I tried uploading some videos and it said there was a problem downloading it. Youtube recomended downloading Chrome, so I tried downloading it directly from the google chrome website and first it said it was illegal and then it said there was a problem decompressing the file. I really want to upload videos to youtubea so you guys can see them. If someone can help me, please do so.

They might be work motors to replace the remaining r33S plus they're mixed up, there's no plans of linking these cars up

Even I don't know what the plans are which is why I don't know why you can be so sure.

Fact is this: parts are hard to come by for the 62As so turning them into sets would be the likely end game. Having all of these singles running around with compressors and other major components that two cars per set don't have when those parts are needed for the cars that do have them.

Having said that. The refuse collection trains are in bad shape and the shuttle cars can use some back up as well as general work trains so who really knows what's going to happen.

CTA did that...They red striped 24 of their 2400 series.These cars are work motors and can operate in regular service if needed

How many extra cars will they really have? If Wikipedia is right, a little under 400 R142As are going from the (6) to the (7)<7> as conversions. The R62As on the (7) (~350 of them) are going to Westchester. 600 R142As were built, with a little over 100 normally running on the (4). In normal service, the (6)<6> runs just under 40 trains, which is ~400 cars. If spares are accounted for, there is little to no net change in Westchester. Even though new cars are being built, all are going to Corona to allow for shorter headways once CBTC is active on the Flushing line. As to whether or not they'll be kept as singles, I'd assume they will be (possibly allowing a nice RFW into City Hall) to double as spares for the (S), but knowing the (MTA), we never know. Maybe they will place a few cars into work service to replace the R33s, but I doubt there would be many.

I havent seen R14A 7211 in service ever since the first day it was in service, Is it having problems again?

I saw it out the day before yesterday , but I didnt see it out today , anyone know why R62As 1716-1720 left the (6) ? cause i saw them at 207st yard the day before yesterday

Edited by R62AR33

Not wishing anything negative, but I wonder what would happen if the majority of the converted fleet experiences issues.

I think they can easily prevent that by testing lets say 3 sets and seeing which ones have problems to estimate..

But if they do experience major problems it might mean a delay in CBTC.

Not wishing anything negative, but I wonder what would happen if the majority of the converted fleet experiences issues.

It'll take longer, they'll fix it, we'll forget about it. Nobody much remembers the Rockwell trucks today, and that was a far worse problem.