R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realized that too. In recent youtube vids, every R188 vid I watch consists of 7811-7821. I think that converted set is having more problems. Idk about 7822-7832, but it seems something is wrong, 7833-7843 is delayed.

7833-7843 was last seen at Jay St probably heading to CI.

7822-7832 runs occasionally at unknown times.

7211-7220,7899 was in service for like 2-3 days, don't know what happened to it since.

7811-7821 is always in  service now, most of the time the only one in service. 

Got on 7822-7832 from Bryant to Queensboro around 10 today. Good ride, however the funny part is that all Announcment- exterior and interior signs were off. I didn't say (7) or Not in service or anything. If it wasn't for the strip maps and oral announcements it would have been Chaos.

Got on 7822-7832 from Bryant to Queensboro around 10 today. Good ride, however the funny part is that all Announcment- exterior and interior signs were off. I didn't say (7) or Not in service or anything. If it wasn't for the strip maps and oral announcements it would have been Chaos.

Yeah I saw a video recently on that set running express, and the announcements were glitched. The conductor just turned off everything and did it manually.

Rode this set express to Times Square earlier today. Announcements and signs were working properly.

It seems a lot of the employees don't know how to set the signs properly so they just shut them off.

7833-7843 was last seen at Jay St probably heading to CI.

7822-7832 runs occasionally at unknown times.

7211-7220,7899 was in service for like 2-3 days, don't know what happened to it since.

7811-7821 is always in  service now, most of the time the only one in service. 

7833-7843 was last seen testing on the Flushing line

Rode this set express to Times Square earlier today. Announcements and signs were working properly.

It seems a lot of the employees don't know how to set the signs properly so they just shut them off.

Or they simply don't have the time, the train isn't idling in the terminal for very long.

It was definitely 7844-7854 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the 7 back to 33rd Street (R62A) from Times Square and the following (next) train in Times Square was an R62A.

When I got off at 33rd Street, as I was on the street and practically back to my car (5:15PM).  There was an R188 in the station (Flushing-bound) doors closed and I was wondering which set.   As it started to pull out, saw 7844, also saw 7850.  This was that set probably burn testing.  Where it actually came from, I don't know, because the next train out of TS was an R62A and I noticed on my trip more R62A's heading towards TS.  In other words, where did the R188 come from unless it switched over from the BMT at Queensborough Plaza.

I don't think those cars in the 2000 range are going to the (6) (I can be wrong) i know the remaining singles are not, the single cars its unknown where they'll end up at, it seems that they're not converting those half cabs at the other end, once all the 1700/1800 are gone off the (7) it looks like the RFW end of those cars will face the flushing side again until they're moved out of corona

Why Not Send those 2000s , from the (7) to the (1) that way all the (1) 's R62As can be from 2001-2475 and have all the 1800s and 1900 from the (1) go to the (6) , so that Westchester would then have to maintain R62As 1651-2000

Edited by R62AR33

I don't think those cars in the 2000 range are going to the (6) (I can be wrong) i know the remaining singles are not, the single cars its unknown where they'll end up at, it seems that they're not converting those half cabs at the other end, once all the 1700/1800 are gone off the  (7) it looks like the RFW end of those cars will face the flushing side again until they're moved out of corona

Referring to the R62A singles, which currently make up the 11-car trains on the  (7).   Where were the singles used before the the Redbird R36's/R-33S's were retired from  (7) service?   If all mainline IRT lines only run 10-car trains, were the singles coupled together as a trains?

It seems quite unusual that singles were ordered at a time back in the early 80's, when the  (7) wasn't even a consideration and I know atleast one train was tested back then on the  (7), but returned back to the mainline IRT.   It probably wasn't an 11-car train anyway.

They're finally giving 7811-7821 a break. Only 7822-7832 was running today.

Anyway, there were 3 R188's that I spotted in the yard. There was one running in service, now IIRC, there are 5 sets of R188's. That means one set isn't on the (7), maybe the conversion set?

Have you noticed how dirty 7811-7821 now have become?   The weather (snow) has partly to do with it, but the cars definitely look used.   I haven't noticed the shoe marks under the windows on the doors yet and it will come in time, once the cars are in service for a while.   Passengers who usually stand for the duration of their trip, very often lean against the closed doors and place there shoe sole on one door. Very noticable on the R142/143/160's.   It's ashame that many people can't respect property or space that isn't their own.   They simply don't care... most don't want to really be on the subway.

Edited by LIRRHicksville