R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Like I said in an earlier post: Why is everyone going crazy trying to catch the R188? Within this year the  (7) will be mostly R188s. Catch your last few glimpses of the R62A. They won't be around for much longer. The R188 will eventually be an everyday thing. You don't have to worry about it right now.

It will be all R188's, but some will be converted R142A's (the oldest ones already existing for 12 years) modified as R188's.  I think the reason everyone wants to ride them now is while they are still new.   I will say one thing, R188's or R142A's, they are roomier than the R62A's and without the dipped seating.  The  (7) is a heavy traffic line and needs these.   While the Lexington Ave. line is probably heavier, but remember it's a trunk line (3 routes).

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said in an earlier post: Why is everyone going crazy trying to catch the R188? Within this year the (7) will be mostly R188s. Catch your last few glimpses of the R62A. They won't be around for much longer. The R188 will eventually be an everyday thing. You don't have to worry about it right now.

Same as for people still trying to catch an R62A on the (6) it as well will be an everyday thing.

Edited by R62AR33

I like catching the R188 for a smooth, and cleaner ride. They're still very new, they have bright lighting that will make it feel much nicer while riding the subway, and they're clean. As for the R62As, it's the same thing over and over again. Dimmer lighting, bucket seating, etc. After  the (7) being my home line for all these years, it's time for a change. So that's basically why I always prefer the R188s. As for the R62A's, you better start catching them before they move to the (6). Try getting an Manhattan bound RFW, there are a few sets out there that will definitely have that. I can give you two cars that will have an RFW: 1661 and 1656. There is another set that I know that uses a 5 car set usually that will be on the Flushing side but is on the Manhattan  side that has an RFW, but don't have the number. Good luck in the next 2-3 years.......(still a long time till they're gone!)

The better lighting and the clean seats in the R188, The lighting R142As looks crap compered to the R188 but then again the lighting will degrade over time anyway,

For those who are upset about R62A being on the 6 route don't be, The queens riders deserve the New cars with the lack of Subway option in the east side of queens. however I just hope that they could at least fix the speaker on the R62A so blind Riders can hear them as well the the subway conductor saying the announcements. 

Why do the Queens riders "deserve" new cars? Did the (6) riders do something wrong? o.O. The (6) is just as heavy, if not heavier than the (7). Why does the (6) now have to deal with smaller doors, crappy interior lighting, manual announcements and slower cars?

Before a huge debate blows up, I'm just trying to make a point here. I don't think you should be saying one group of riders "deserve" something over another. Personally, I don't care as much about the R62A on the (6) because I only ride it for a short distance. I'm usually on the (4)(5). If I had it my way, I would just forget about the CBTC thing on Flushing and wait for the R62As to be retired before getting new cars for the (7) and leave the R142As on the (6), but of course, I'm just one person. At the end of the day, I won't really care what I'll be riding as long as:

A. It doesn't break down every time I get on it

B. It's clean

I would rather just have the (2)(5) take the R62As because the (5) never even shows up half the time and it barely runs on most weekends due to GOs, but once again, it's not my decision. Not to mention the R142s make it easy to switch between a (2) and (5) at Flatbush. Most riders will just take the conversion in stride and not even bat an eye at the R62As, but as for the select few who will complain (looking at the UES riders), lets see how far that will get them...

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

Why do the Queens riders "deserve" new cars? Did the (6) riders do something wrong? o.O. The (6) is just as heavy, if not heavier than the (7). Why does the (6) now have to deal with smaller doors, crappy interior lighting, manual announcements and slower cars?

Before a huge debate blows up, I'm just trying to make a point here. I don't think you should be saying one group of riders "deserve" something over another. Personally, I don't care as much about the R62A on the (6) because I only ride it for a short distance. I'm usually on the (4)(5). If I had it my way, I would just forget about the CBTC thing on Flushing and wait for the R62As to be retired before getting new cars for the (7) and leave the R142As on the (6), but of course, I'm just one person. At the end of the day, I won't really care what I'll be riding as long as:

B. It's clean

I would rather just have the (2)(5) take the R62As because the (5) never even shows up half the time and it barely runs on most weekends due to GOs, but once again, it's not my decision. Not to mention the R142s make it easy to switch between a (2) and (5) at Flatbush. Most riders will just take the conversion in stride and not even bat an eye at the R62As, but as for the select few who will complain (looking at the UES riders), lets see how far that will get them...

Chill out dude is just a subway car, lol

Chill out dude is just a subway car, lol

If you actually read the whole thing (trust me, it's easier to read than Shakespeare), then you would have known that I was chill.

At the end of the day, I won't really care what I'll be riding as long as:

B. It's clean

You probably just read the first sentence or two then thought I was attacking you or something -_-

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

I like catching the R188 for a smooth, and cleaner ride. They're still very new, they have bright lighting that will make it feel much nicer while riding the subway, and they're clean. As for the R62As, it's the same thing over and over again. Dimmer lighting, bucket seating, etc. After  the (7) being my home line for all these years, it's time for a change. So that's basically why I always prefer the R188s. As for the R62A's, you better start catching them before they move to the (6). Try getting an Manhattan bound RFW, there are a few sets out there that will definitely have that. I can give you two cars that will have an RFW: 1661 and 1656. There is another set that I know that uses a 5 car set usually that will be on the Flushing side but is on the Manhattan  side that has an RFW, but don't have the number. Good luck in the next 2-3 years.......(still a long time till they're gone!)

Actually 1-2 yrs , by late next year all of the conversions are supposed to be in service on the (7) , with all of the R62As from flushing back on the (6) and another set with a manhattan bound rfw is 1975-1979

Well guess what there's a twist of events, there's a set of R62's on the (4), looks like they may be a 3 way swap between the (3), (4) & (6)

I heard about so if  thats the case then would the swap be R62s going back to the (4) from the (3) all the R62As from the (6) to the (3) and all the NTTs from the (4) to the (6)  ?

Edited by R62AR33

No the (6) is still getting R62A's, just not all of them, there's an R62 from the (3) on the (4), that R62 was spotted on the (4) on Sunday, and it ran today, someone grabbed a photo of it

I see it like this

The (6)gets 1651-1840 or higher

The (3) gets 1900,2000's and 2100's like in the past

The (4) gets the R62's back

There's a picture of it on Facebook

The person who took the photo spoke to a TSS and the TSS was basically saying the (4) is getting some old equipment back

So we'll have to wait and see for now, hopefully a ta source will confirm this

No the (6) is still getting R62A's, just not all of them, there's an R62 from the (3) on the (4), that R62 was spotted on the (4) on Sunday, and it ran today, someone grabbed a photo of it

I see it like this

The person who took the photo spoke to a TSS and the TSS was basically saying the (4) is getting some old equipment back

So basicly were going back to old car assingmens in a way the (3) and (6) will be R62As like they were in the past with the (4) sending its R142As to the (6) to have the (6) be R62A/R142A, and then we'd have R62s and R142 on the (4) ?

Edited by R62AR33

Well guess what there's a twist of events, there's a set of R62's on the (4), looks like they may be a 3 way swap between the (3), (4) & (6)

I heard about so if  thats the case then would the swap be R62s going back to the (4) from the (3) all the R62As from the (6) to the (3) and all the NTTs from the (4) to the (6)  ?

I see it like this

I'm trying to figure out why they're even getting the R62As off of the (6) when they had the lights installed to indicate local and express service. No lines other than the (6) and (7) currently have a diamond service. But the (MTA) does strange things. Why go through the trouble of a 4-way car swap between the (3)(4)(6)(7)? Doesn't it make more sense from a maintenance standpoint for a yard to only have one type of rolling stock under its control?

I'm trying to figure out why they're even getting the R62As off of the (6) when they had the lights installed to indicate local and express service. No lines other than the (6) and (7) currently have a diamond service. But the (MTA) does strange things. Why go through the trouble of a 4-way car swap between the (3)(4)(6)(7)? Doesn't it make more sense from a maintenance standpoint for a yard to only have one type of rolling stock under its control?

Those Leds were originally made for the (7)<7> cause the passengers had trouble knowing what was local or express when its obvious what each is but now with half of the R62As coming back to the (6) thats a coincidence , what ever R62As go the (3)  will get those Leds taken off

Edited by R62AR33

disregard my post, the picture that was posted on Facebook was from 2012, i realized that when i went on a computer, couldn't tell on my phone since its a cheap phone, but yeah the current flow of R62A's on the (6) is still going on, but ALL subject to change in the future

disregard my post, the picture that was posted on Facebook was from 2012, i realized that when i went on a computer, couldn't tell on my phone since its a cheap phone, but yeah the current flow of R62A's on the (6) is still going on, but ALL subject to change in the future

But there is still an R62 on the (4) , it was spotted today and last friday in service

Edited by R62AR33