R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To dispel any rumors about this, the car swap will continue as intended: 62As to Westchester in lieu of eventually converted 142As. By the way, 7211 and company are still out of service. I have a feeling there won't be any new conversions until they figure out what's causing the problems on this set first.

Well things can change, some moron tricked everyone into believeing that, as soon as I got on a computer I saw the picture was old, I couldn't tell when I was on my phone

No one knows what's gonna happen the MTA can change assignments at anytime, I honestly don't think all of the R62A's are going to the (6), some other line will get em too, the hint was right there when Westchester sent 2141-5 back to corona, instead of just sending that 5 car set to 207th to get its cabs converted

Plus you have the singles and that's a question mark

@ Lance I think that's gonna be the case, that converted set hasn't been out in a month, that's what's gonna delay the process

Well things can change, some moron tricked everyone into believeing that, as soon as I got on a computer I saw the picture was old, I couldn't tell when I was on my phone

No one knows what's gonna happen the MTA can change assignments at anytime, I honestly don't think all of the R62A's are going to the (6), some other line will get em too, the hint was right there when Westchester sent 2141-5 back to corona, instead of just sending that 5 car set to 207th to get its cabs converted

@ Lance I think that's gonna be the case, that converted set hasn't been out in a month, that's what's gonna delay the process

I honestly think some of those R62As are going to the (1) at least the 2000s

Edited by R62AR33

I think the (6) will be all R62A's because it makes sense to have all of them maintained at one yard. Those (6) train riders are spoiled. They had the R33 and R36's back in the 1960's R62A's in 1985 and the R142A's in the early 2000's The (7) hasn't gotten any new trains since 1964 and it still won't have a full fleet of brand new cars and are still getting hand me down R142A's. I hope those R142A's stay on the (4) because the LCD sign R62A's going on the (6) are needed for that line. How did the (3) get involved with the moves?

Edited by College Pt Man

I think the (6) will be all R62A's because it makes sense to have all of them maintained at one yard. Those (6) train riders are spoiled. They had the R33 and R36's back in the 1960's R62A's in 1985 and the R142A's in the early 2000's The (7) hasn't gotten any new trains since 1964 and it still won't have a full fleet of brand new cars and are still getting hand me down R142A's. I hope those R142A's stay on the (4) because the LCD sign R62A's going on the (6) are needed for that line. How did the (3) get involved with the moves?

Agreed , all I see them doing is having R62As 1651-2000 on the (6) and then R62As 2001-2475 on the (1)

Do you think the average subway rider (a.k.a. commuter), really cares?   Most don't look at what the train is, they are so involved in their phones (calling, texting), reading and don't pay any attention to even what other passengers are doing unless someone creates a scene.   Their only concern is that they get on the correct train and get to where they want to go and hopefully with no delay.  The R142's are so dirty now, so I doubt most are complaining unless they have to maybe stand.   Also, who are they going to complain to?  Most don't want to be on the subway, and they're happy when they are finally off and out of the subway.

Yes they do, why else do we have the current car assignments the way they are? Political pressure and residential complaints. I saw all four R62A (6) trains today in a span of two hours and they were practically empty while the R142As were packed. My favorite announcement was ruined.

Everyone else is so lucky I go and take the 7 only R62A's.

Don't feel bad, I have only rode on an R188 once and TBH, it's just like an R142A. What a complete waste of time and money. CBTC is going to kill Flushing like it's killing Canarsie. Lexington Avenue and Queens Boulevard are next in line for CBTC, so looks like R62As won't be on the (6) for too long.

Why do the Queens riders "deserve" new cars? Did the 6 riders do something wrong? o.O. The 6 is just as heavy, if not heavier than the 7. Why does the 6 now have to deal with smaller doors, crappy interior lighting, manual announcements and slower cars?

Before a huge debate blows up, I'm just trying to make a point here. I don't think you should be saying one group of riders "deserve" something over another. Personally, I don't care as much about the R62A on the 6 because I only ride it for a short distance. I'm usually on the 4, 5. If I had it my way, I would just forget about the CBTC thing on Flushing and wait for the R62As to be retired before getting new cars for the 7 and leave the R142As on the 6, but of course, I'm just one person. At the end of the day, I won't really care what I'll be riding as long as:

A. It doesn't break down every time I get on it

B. It's clean

I would rather just have the 2, 5 take the R62As because the 5 never even shows up half the time and it barely runs on most weekends due to GOs, but once again, it's not my decision. Not to mention the R142s make it easy to switch between a 2 and 5 at Flatbush. Most riders will just take the conversion in stride and not even bat an eye at the R62As, but as for the select few who will complain (looking at the UES riders), lets see how far that will get them...

It's funny how people keep saying R62As would make the (2)(5) swap difficult when it's already difficult on the (6) because Westchester crew is too lazy to change the front and rear signs. Oftentimes, I see a (6) on the front and/or rear when the train is really a <6> and vice-versa, a Parkchester-bound local with "Pelham Bay Park" on the top rollsign (and vice-versa) or a Pelham Bay Park-bound express with "Parkchester" on top. Watch Westchester crew complain about having to do all that work and the R62As will be pulled soon. Also, I don't think conductors want to have to make that long announcement at Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall (Ladies and gentleman, this is the last downtown stop on this train, the next stop on this train will be Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall on the uptown platform).

The R62As would work wonders on the (2) since it has the same two terminals 24/7, so changing them is uneeded, plus 7th Avenue would be all R62/62As while Lexington Avenue will remain all NTTs, thus making both trunk lines easier to maintain.

The (5) would be more complicated with its numerous routes, but hey, it would make it easier to distinguish it from the (2) and (4) and the LED circle and diamond can help distinguish whether it is going to Dyre Avenue or Nereid Avenue.

I'm trying to figure out why they're even getting the R62As off of the 6 when they had the lights installed to indicate local and express service. No lines other than the 6 and 7 currently have a diamond service. But the MTA does strange things. Why go through the trouble of a 4-way car swap between the 3, 4, 6, 7? Doesn't it make more sense from a maintenance standpoint for a yard to only have one type of rolling stock under its control?

The LED lights can work on the (4) as well for a Woodlawn-bound local or Burnside Avenue-bound express.

I think the 6 will be all R62A's because it makes sense to have all of them maintained at one yard. Those 6 train riders are spoiled. They had the R33 and R36's back in the 1960's R62A's in 1985 and the R142A's in the early 2000's The 7 hasn't gotten any new trains since 1964 and it still won't have a full fleet of brand new cars and are still getting hand me down R142A's. I hope those R142A's stay on the 4 because the LCD sign R62A's going on the 6 are needed for that line. How did the 3 get involved with the moves?

There aren't enough R62As on the (7) to fill up the entire (6). The (2), (4), and (5) use roughly the same amount of trains as the (7), so its R62As could fill any one of those up easily. It makes more sense to spread them evenly among yards so they would have equal amount of different car types to handle rather than have a yard maintain a small portion of one fleet.

Westchester sending back 2141-2145 wasn't a hint in the slightest, cause the set was promptly replaced by full cab cars. The singles are a question mark anywhere, whether Westchester or Livonia.

I would say that we do know what's gonna happen (I confirmed this with a TA source of mine over a year ago and the info has proven accurate), and so we should stick with that. If there are changes, there are changes, but there is nothing to indicate a deviation from plan as of yet.

I HIGHLY doubt that the (MTA) will change what they're doing right now. The (6) riders can complain all they want, but they had these before so why do they complain now? Let them be picky all they want but what is done is what is done, and it is most likely to not be changed. The (MTA) will not do the extra work and spend the extra money just to do stuff to please riders on one line. As long as it takes you from point A to point B without problem, its good. The chances of the R62A's going anywhere other than the (6) are very low. The most I can see them do with the Parkchester / Pelham Bay Park problem is assign certain R62A's to teminate at Parkchester and others to Pelham Bay Park. Does it really matter if the front is <6> or (6)? I'm pretty sure the LED's will do just enough to tell the riders that it is a lcl/exp. The singles, we don't know what they are going to do with them. They might even pair them up and swap with the grand central (S)..... 

Yes they do, why else do we have the current car assignments the way they are? Political pressure and residential complaints. I saw all four R62A (6) trains today in a span of two hours and they were practically empty while the R142As were packed. My favorite announcement was ruined.

Don't feel bad, I have only rode on an R188 once and TBH, it's just like an R142A. What a complete waste of time and money. CBTC is going to kill Flushing like it's killing Canarsie. Lexington Avenue and Queens Boulevard are next in line for CBTC, so looks like R62As won't be on the (6) for too long.

It's funny how people keep saying R62As would make the (2)(5) swap difficult when it's already difficult on the (6) because Westchester crew is too lazy to change the front and rear signs. Oftentimes, I see a (6) on the front and/or rear when the train is really a <6> and vice-versa, a Parkchester-bound local with "Pelham Bay Park" on the top rollsign (and vice-versa) or a Pelham Bay Park-bound express with "Parkchester" on top. Watch Westchester crew complain about having to do all that work and the R62As will be pulled soon. Also, I don't think conductors want to have to make that long announcement at Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall (Ladies and gentleman, this is the last downtown stop on this train, the next stop on this train will be Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall on the uptown platform).

The R62As would work wonders on the (2) since it has the same two terminals 24/7, so changing them is uneeded, plus 7th Avenue would be all R62/62As while Lexington Avenue will remain all NTTs, thus making both trunk lines easier to maintain.

The (5) would be more complicated with its numerous routes, but hey, it would make it easier to distinguish it from the (2) and (4) and the LED circle and diamond can help distinguish whether it is going to Dyre Avenue or Nereid Avenue.

The LED lights can work on the (4) as well for a Woodlawn-bound local or Burnside Avenue-bound express.

There aren't enough R62As on the (7) to fill up the entire (6). The (2), (4), and (5) use roughly the same amount of trains as the (7), so its R62As could fill any one of those up easily. It makes more sense to spread them evenly among yards so they would have equal amount of different car types to handle rather than have a yard maintain a small portion of one fleet.

You're like a broken record...who cares if your damn precious announcement is gone, look on YouTube and get over it...

...you're worse than Wallyhorse and his fetish to send the (J)(M) uptown

"A lot of railfans could learn from that. Wait and see before posting BS.

Third there is a difference between posting what you "heard" might happen and posting what you want to happen. There is too much of the latter here. You don't make decisions and neither does anyone else here. Opinions are unwanted in threads that are supposed to be about facts."- SubwayGuy. Pretty much applies to the last few comments in this thread...

"A lot of railfans could learn from that. Wait and see before posting BS.

That's why I don't believe anything anyone says about swaps until it actually happens

Third there is a difference between posting what you "heard" might happen and posting what you want to happen. There is too much of the latter here. You don't make decisions and neither does anyone else here. Opinions are unwanted in threads that are supposed to be about facts."- SubwayGuy. Pretty much applies to the last few comments in this thread...

I saw all four R62A (6) trains today in a span of two hours and they were practically empty while the R142As were packed. My favorite announcement was ruined.

I'm curious, is the patronage of the (6) line made up entirely of people who have a phobia of old trains?

Or could it be... that the R62As were not "practically empty", as you like to claim? :rolleyes:

I don't get how some people get bent out of shape because someone says certain things on car assignments whether they're right or wrong, this is a public forum and this is a discussion about what's going on, everyone has their opinion and it aggervates the hell out of me when people get called foamers all because they're discussing something based on their own opinion, yea some take it too far with the fantasies but if you don't like it, you can always block that person if you can't stand what the person is saying, even if someone speculate what's the big deal, in my honest opinion that's what keeps this damn hobby flowing, your talking transportation for crying out loud.

Like I've said before in my opinion I don't see all those R62A's going to the (6).

One thing is for certain you can can call me a foamer, a nutjob or whatever but at the end of the day im still going to enjoy this hobby the way I and everyone likes it, you gotta problem with that you can simply ignore and block, its not the end of the world

Westchester sending back 2141-2145 wasn't a hint in the slightest, cause the set was promptly replaced by full cab cars. The singles are a question mark anywhere, whether Westchester or Livonia.

I would say that we do know what's gonna happen (I confirmed this with a TA source of mine over a year ago and the info has proven accurate), and so we should stick with that. If there are changes, there are changes, but there is nothing to indicate a deviation from plan as of yet.

singles may go back to 240th since the extra singles off the shuttle went to the (1) and now the (7) I did hear a rumor some may be converted into work motors to replace some R33WF singles (the majority need a replacement fast because of rot)

As somebody who takes the (6) daily and isn't, y'know, blind, I can say that this is total anecdotal bullshit to say the 62As are empty. I've never seen a single rider avoid those cars. Maybe there was some odd coincidence when FlushingExpress was out there, cause that's just not the reality. In fact, the 62As are generally more crowded due to the less flexible bench seating and half cabs in the cars.

In regard to riders complaining, yes, there are many riders I've spoken to and heard who don't like the 62As. In the morning rush, unless the T/O is pushing it, my train is about 1-2 minutes slower running as 62As rather than NTTs due to the loading times. That's a pain, but this idea that people purposely avoid getting on is a railfan fantasy: on a line as crowded as the Lex, you take the first train you get.

As somebody who takes the (6) daily and isn't, y'know, blind, I can say that this is total anecdotal bullshit to say the 62As are empty. I've never seen a single rider avoid those cars. Maybe there was some odd coincidence when FlushingExpress was out there, cause that's just not the reality. In fact, the 62As are generally more crowded due to the less flexible bench seating and half cabs in the cars.

In regard to riders complaining, yes, there are many riders I've spoken to and heard who don't like the 62As. In the morning rush, unless the T/O is pushing it, my train is about 1-2 minutes slower running as 62As rather than NTTs due to the loading times. That's a pain, but this idea that people purposely avoid getting on is a railfan fantasy: on a line as crowded as the Lex, you take the first train you get.

He was pulling that all out his ass...

As a (6) rider myself, I can also say that what he said was full of shit. (6) riders will take whatever comes first. No one has time to let a train pass simply because it was an R62A. The 62As are usually just as packed as the 142As.

He's just trying to speak for others and make it sound like he's right. Even during non-rush hours, the R62A's are still packed. I managed to get a glance of the R62A's on Monday during the middle of the day (1:00) and it was packed, just like the 142A I was on. 

I don't get how some people get bent out of shape because someone says certain things on car assignments whether they're right or wrong, this is a public forum and this is a discussion about what's going on, everyone has their opinion and it aggervates the hell out of me when people get called foamers all because they're discussing something based on their own opinion, yea some take it too far with the fantasies but if you don't like it, you can always block that person if you can't stand what the person is saying, even if someone speculate what's the big deal, in my honest opinion that's what keeps this damn hobby flowing, your talking transportation for crying out loud.

Like I've said before in my opinion I don't see all those R62A's going to the (6).

One thing is for certain you can can call me a foamer, a nutjob or whatever but at the end of the day im still going to enjoy this hobby the way I and everyone likes it, you gotta problem with that you can simply ignore and block, its not the end of the world

singles may go back to 240th since the extra singles off the shuttle went to the (1) and now the (7) I did hear a rumor some may be converted into work motors to replace some R33WF singles (the majority need a replacement fast because of rot)

Likely all of the R62As will go to the (6) except the singles , i see those going back to the (1) and a few maybe becoming work cars to replace some redbirds