R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Why? Aren't the (2) and (3) enough express lines for Seventh Avenue? I doubt it needs a third.

Sometimes the (2) and (3) are not enough. They can take ages to show up. And who knows, maybe the people that board from 110th - 242nd want an express train.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because there's a large gap b/w trains shouldn't be a reason for a '3rd express'. Even for the express, they need a battery run.

ex: there's a gap b/w 14th an 72nd. The express that was delayed due to maybe a sick passenger should be allowed to run directly to 34th even though 42nd is a major stop in order for 'traffic to run smoothly'. Worse comes worse people wanting the skipped stop would have to get out and take the local or wait for the express behind the train they got off.

I meant that it can be routed via B Division trackage to other A Division lines. If I'm not mistaken, work cars are of A dimensions, so it would make sense that an R188 could be placed onto the Lexington Avenue Line for example if there were some reason to do so.

If a train from the (7) line were to be sent to the mainline it would be sent to a yard first and the 11th car being either left at Corona or left behind in the IRT yard it is sent to. The train is obviously not going to just get routed off the (7) to the mainline while in service. Even though the (7) is connected to the b division, it still has to 'back track' a few times in order to get to a yard to get onto the Mainline IRT tracks.

Sixth Avenue did have the (;)(D)(Q6Av) as express services at one point, but that's a different story.

I think the (:) and (D) ran less frequently when the (Q6Av) ran there. The (2) and (3) would likely have to run less frequently to make room for a (9) express. That's not going to go over well with riders in the Bronx and Harlem. Then there would be the issue of what to do with the (9) south of Chambers.

Exactly, the (Q6Av) was basically a <(D)> on Brighton. Other than a different north terminal, it wasn't really an additional service. Hell, there were times I felt the (F) was better at showing up before the other 3 'express' trains arrived.

It feels like waiting for any train on the Sixth Avenue Line is futile most of the time; good thing the (1)(2)(3) run well only one block west. But that's beside the point.

In all honesty, I'd like to see the (1) get upgraded, both in terms of rolling stock and frequency. For such an important line, it seems pretty neglected. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times it feels like express after express comes with no local, which becomes a problem when you have to travel to Columbia a lot. The (3) is probably the lowest-priority IRT line in terms of needing an upgrade, most likely because it only has two unique stations and the (7) and (1) are far more heavily used. But as long as IRT service stays as good as it is, ie better than the B Division, I'm fine with whatever car type shows up.

It feels like waiting for any train on the Sixth Avenue Line is futile most of the time; good thing the (1)(2)(3) run well only one block west. But that's beside the point.

In all honesty, I'd like to see the (1) get upgraded, both in terms of rolling stock and frequency. For such an important line, it seems pretty neglected. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times it feels like express after express comes with no local, which becomes a problem when you have to travel to Columbia a lot. The (3) is probably the lowest-priority IRT line in terms of needing an upgrade, most likely because it only has two unique stations and the (7) and (1) are far more heavily used. But as long as IRT service stays as good as it is, ie better than the B Division, I'm fine with whatever car type shows up.

I don't think it's the frequency that's a problem, but more of maintaining the frequency, 7th Av/Broadway line runs 4-6 minutes in mid-day.

From a different thread:

TwoTimer:

They might take 142A from the (4) and give them to the (6), and the 62A ends up on the (4) with the 142 especially being that the main 62/62A barn is specifically in Brooklyn.

That's a very good point. I never thought of it that way about sending R62As to the (4) as opposed to just being the (6). Thanks!

From a different thread:That's a very good point. I never thought of it that way about sending R62As to the (4) as opposed to just being the (6). Thanks!

In Corona Yard they have some R62A's with (6) signs that are layed up in the yard so you might see one on the (6) much sooner than we think

Why would R62As go onto the Lex at all? That would just be a stupid decision considering ridership alone. The additional width of R142 and R142A doors allows for slightly lower dwell times, while the staggered door placement slightly increases standing room, or rather aids in spreading out standing passengers and making it easier for them to move to the centre of the car.

Because the (2) and (5) swaps trains 'constantly' at Flatbush av and you need flexibility. At the height of rush hours, you are not going to have a c/r change every single car in the train to display the destination/designation of the line they are sent up on. Plus they share yards in the bronx. Those two have to be R142s.

The (1) and (3) already have R62/As, so by default that is why it must be the (4) and/or (6). Yes the doors are wider on the NTTs, but that isn't a justification to keep them exclusively on Lexington.

Why should train signs even matter anymore in the IRT I bet a blind person can figure out their destination with the new countdown clocks they even feature re-routes so if I'm at Union Sq and theres a (2) coming it won't say its a (5) it'll be correct.

People will have to LISTEN to announcements more then to avoid getting on the wrong train en-route to the wrong destination.

Didn't the Redbirds have the rollsigns for a few decades on the (2)(5)? I know there weren't digital signs at the time for the IRT but how was that handled?

Guest lance25

During the days of the redbirds, there weren't any other options besides either changing the signs or leaving them and hoping riders knew where the trains were going. And if I recall correctly, someone here said that sometimes, only the first and last car (and sometimes the C/R's car) were changed to the correct reading.

Why would R62As go onto the Lex at all? That would just be a stupid decision considering ridership alone. The additional width of R142 and R142A doors allows for slightly lower dwell times, while the staggered door placement slightly increases standing room, or rather aids in spreading out standing passengers and making it easier for them to move to the centre of the car.

Well, where else are they going to get R142A's for the (7) from???

Why should train signs even matter anymore in the IRT I bet a blind person can figure out their destination with the new countdown clocks they even feature re-routes so if I'm at Union Sq and theres a (2) coming it won't say its a (5) it'll be correct.

People will have to LISTEN to announcements more then to avoid getting on the wrong train en-route to the wrong destination.

Didn't the Redbirds have the rollsigns for a few decades on the (2)(5)? I know there weren't digital signs at the time for the IRT but how was that handled?

Not everyone lives in NY or travels by subway regularly....