R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

I'm going to jump in here for a moment with my two cents. As others have pointed out this thread is about the R188 cars and the Flushing line. What seems to have happened is that many posters have gotten hung up on the new and converted cars yet miss the big picture. All new rolling stock has teething issues that eventually get worked out. It always happens and that's why these cars are tested. I haven't posted in this thread because the R142A/R188 cars that are running today can have all the kinks ironed out, have the interiors spotless and it still means nothing in the long run. The main focus of the (MTA) is the signal system, not the rolling stock. If the upcoming CBTC signal conversion project doesn't pan out then all this hype over R188s means nothing. The R188 class of car is just a component of a  major signal project in the long run. If Bombardier was picked we'd be talking about R142s instead of R142As. If they can't get that signal project up and running in good fashion it wouldn't matter what class of car ran on the line.  The real testing hasn't even started yet. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Now I wonder why the (MTA) didn't wait until after the CBTC was successful to order the new trains/convert older trains.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^That doesn't make sense. The R62As are too old to run under CBTC. Hence why they are buying the R188s. And converting= upgrading the R142As. The MTA needs the CBTC ASAP, because the (7) is so crowded and they want to add maximum trains running evenly with everything being computerized.

yes, but what if there is trouble in the process of the conversion? you never know what is going to happen during the process. It might delay the process more, and you probably don't have a clue if the (MTA) will scrap it due to the problem or not.

Yes but if they don't have the right trains, how would they know if the type of CBTC installed on Flusing actually works? It's the same reason the 143s were ordered before Canarsie CBTC was installed and operational.

Edited by Lance

Yes but if they don't have the right trains, how would they know if the type of CBTC installed on Flusing actually works? It's the same reason the 143s were ordered before Canarsie CBTC was installed and operational.

Exactly. They can't test the signal system if there aren't trains that are compatible. As we saw with the (L), all active rolling stock has to be CBTC-compatible for full CBTC operations to commence.

What I'm saying is that you can't call the conversion a success or a failure until the CBTC project is completed and the cars are operational under CBTC. Right now all we have is teething problems with the rolling stock. I think the kinks will be worked out long before CBTC is installed. The cars and the signal system are intertwined as far as I'm concerned. It's a package deal. BTW I never suggested that R62A cars could run under CBTC but they can be used with the new/converts until the system is up and running. I think the rolling stock is the easier part of the program. I doubt the (MTA) would rip out the old signal system as soon as CBTC is turned on. Hope this clears up any misconception of my original post.

Edited by Trainmaster5

I rode R62As 1791-1795 , 1721-1725 today on the (6) , it was shocking that 1661-1670 was right behind me and also , 1741-1750 was right behind that . As of right now there are 6 sets of R62As on the (6) , iv also noticed that all 6 sets have (6)<6> strip maps on them

Edited by R62AR33

None were they were built in 2012 on a deprecate note 7866-7876 pitkin to corona as of today.

Almost 2 years old and just entering service in the last 2-3 months.   Only 2 trains were running today.   7811-7821 which I passed twice and 7833-7843 which I was on.  Saw 7822-7832 in the Corona Yard.   Another R188 train was there and with no lit  "7".  Probably was 7844-7854, which someone posted is still in burn testing.  I wasn't able to see any numbers.

How would it work if there was a train shortage on the IRT and they needed to bring some 188's over to 7ave/ Lex how would the train stopSent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

If anything, they would take the 5 car sets only

...then you would have an odd bunch of 6 car sets lying around for the (7). You can cut out a car from them to make 11 car trains.

...then you would have extra B/C cars lying around not doing anything

Highly illogical and the odds of it happening are through the roof, but possible