R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe you can disable certain cars, but I don't know how the signal system on Lex and 7 Av will react to 11 cars. Also, the conductor is on the 6th car of an 11 car set, and the conductor boards aren't lined up for the 6th car on either Lex of 7 Av.

In a real emergency, the (7) could probably loan two 5 car sets to the other IRT lines if it really had to be done, but chances are the rest of the IRT will simply borrow R142/A and R62/A cars from other yards.

They're starting to put full width cabs on the other half of the ex single units on the 7, saw one at grand Central (a 2000 series car) with full width cabs on both ends

Linked 5 car ex single cars

Edited by R32 3838

How would it work if there was a train shortage on the IRT and they needed to bring some 188's over to 7ave/ Lex how would the train stop Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

They would get trains from other lines or other yards. Highly doubt the (7) would be the one, Especially when theres more trains per hour form CBTC

Just an opinion... but shouldn't there be a second separate thread for R62A assignments and sightings? It doesn't seem to belong in the R188 thread.

To many members would start to create BS posts. Remember some poster said the R62As are gonna have CBTC and equpped with Digital signs? In all honestly Theres no need for a thread to it, We all know where they are going. B division has a much more Tendency to switch things up.

To many members would start to create BS posts. Remember some poster said the R62As are gonna have CBTC and equpped with Digital signs? In all honestly Theres no need for a thread to it, We all know where they are going. B division has a much more Tendency to switch things up.

Still better somewhere else than here. I check this thread purely for R188 info, not R62A sightings.

Just an opinion... but shouldn't there be a second separate thread for R62A assignments and sightings? It doesn't seem to belong in the R188 thread.

I was thinking that the other day. I suppose this has just become habit now given the assignments of the 62As are directly tied to those of the R188s.

Are the cars being referred to here R188's?

From 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, March 8, and Sunday, March 9, (3) trains are suspended in both directions between Franklin Av and New Lots Av due to subway car testing south of Crown Hts Utica Av.  Take (4) trains for service between Franklin Av and Crown Hts Utica Av.  Free shuttle buses operate between Crown Hts Utica Ave and New Lots Av making all (3) line subway station stops.

No it has nothing to do with the R188. It's a test of a work train carrying continuous welded rail to see if such move could be made with the train carrying the load from Linden Yard onto IRT mainline tracks.

So that's what they're doing over here...gonna screw me over when I go to work, but I might be able to catch the train since I'm a block away from Linden Shops

No it has nothing to do with the R188. It's a test of a work train carrying continuous welded rail to see if such move could be made with the train carrying the load from Linden Yard onto IRT mainline tracks.

How is CWR currently gotten into the IRT system?

The train that carries the rails will come out of Linden Yard via the flyover into Junius middle and access the switch connecting to tracks 1 and 4. Where do they currently have a need for continuous rail in the IRT? The only place I can think of at the moment off the top of my head is the Dyre line. When the new signals are installed on the line and if the count of those signals don't increase dramatically then I can see the purpose. Elsewhere in the IRT I just can't see the need. Signals require a break in the rail for proper track circuitry. The only other line is the 7 line and the move would not involve the IRT flyover from Linden.

The train that carries the rails will come out of Linden Yard via the flyover into Junius middle and access the switch connecting to tracks 1 and 4. Where do they currently have a need for continuous rail in the IRT? The only place I can think of at the moment off the top of my head is the Dyre line. When the new signals are installed on the line and if the count of those signals don't increase dramatically then I can see the purpose. Elsewhere in the IRT I just can't see the need. Signals require a break in the rail for proper track circuitry. The only other line is the 7 line and the move would not involve the IRT flyover from Linden.

I saw the train today...I prefer the old one better, gives it that mysterious feel to it

I went by the Kawasaki plant yesterday and I saw 7255 & 7254 on the layup track. I don't know about the other 3 cars. Also, 7935 is sitting there, looking brand freakin' new. There's also some more trailer cars that are covered up.

speaking of which where is R188 7211-7220+7899?

That set saw service for literally 1-2 days before being taken out of service. It keeps having problems, which is making me wonder about the rest of the sets that will be converted.