R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

I should have been more clear it was immidiately removed from service. That was on Jan 27th.

I remember that day. Only rode it from Hunterspoint Ave to 74 Street/Broadway.

I could have sworn I've seen it a few more times from my window. It looks pretty obvious at night when you see a dim-lit set with one bright car going by.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R33s that ran on the (2) never had their yard stickers changed from black to green when they moved from the (5) to the (2) and the R26/28/29 "salad trains" that moved over to East 180th Yard retained their green stickers until the end of their service lives.

Why even go through all the trouble changing the yard stickers? They never did it when the R62s moved over from the (4) to the (3) and the R142s/142As never got them at all. I think it's time to just phase them out completely.

that's my point. They didn't change the stickers for the r62s. I din't see the need to change them for the 6. There's no need to phase them out. They'll be around till the r62as are retired. They are the last ones to still have the stickers on all the cars. Edited by Grand Concourse

Man I just realized the it a shame the 6 train will get the old stock of R62A, what makes the 7 so special? LOL.

You sir are almost 3 yrs late on the swaps .... and nothing makes the (7) special , it needs the CBTC to replace the old signal system as well to improve crowding , that is why the R142As from the (6) are getting cbctc and are now R188s , and why the R62As are returning back to the (6)<6>

Edited by R62AR33

You sir are almost 3 yrs late on the swaps .... and nothing makes the (7) special , it needs the CBTC to replace the old signal system as well to improve crowding , that is why the R142As from the (6) are getting cbctc and are now R188s , and why the R62As are returning back to the (6)<6>

But Lexington ave is the most crowded then any line and they are relying on old signal system. yet the get the old rolling stock WOW LOL.

Because there is no where else to put them. The trains are still good for at least 10+years. They are not going to just scrap them and buy new trains. They should've waited till it was time to retire the r62/as and then order new trains for the 7.

But if they waited for the retirement of the 62s, the signal system on the 7 would have been ancient. 6 line riders will just have to learn to deal with it.

But if they waited for the retirement of the 62s, the signal system on the 7 would have been ancient. 6 line riders will just have to learn to deal with it.

How dare you use common sense and state something that has been said over 1000 times! You should feel ashamed of yourself!

Very few? Yes, but those very few form a very vocal and very annoying minority.

I can't see how as that hasn't happened. That's because the very few that care are foamers and wouldn't dare file an official complaint based on nothing because that type of complaint would be full of nothing.

Very few? Yes, but those very few form a very vocal and very annoying minority.

I can't see how as that hasn't happened. That's because the very few that care are foamers and wouldn't dare file an official complaint based on nothing because that type of complaint would be full of nothing.

Nobody cares about what model of train they're riding except for a select few we know around here. But everybody cares when their train is late, and as I've extensively detailed, the R62As take longer in the morning rush than the R142As do. This problem can be easily solved by reorganizing morning headways, and to an extent dispatchers have already begun to do that. But running more infrequent and slower service will merit very justified complaints.

:lol:

Nobody cares about what model of train they're riding except for a select few we know around here. But everybody cares when their train is late, and as I've extensively detailed, the R62As take longer in the morning rush than the R142As do. This problem can be easily solved by reorganizing morning headways, and to an extent dispatchers have already begun to do that. But running more infrequent and slower service will merit very justified complaints.

No, you're fine, your complaints are valid. I'm talking about the other kinds of people who complain about them... those who have an automatic dislike for old trains no matter what, with very few of their complaints having a basis in reality.  <_<

I can honestly tell you the tardiness has nothing to do with the trains themselves and more to do with other incidents causing the trains to be late. Most of the crews have adjusted and can make the 62 dance just as well and even faster than a 142 when it comes to key situations.

No, you're fine, your complaints are valid. I'm talking about the other kinds of people who complain about them... those who have an automatic dislike for old trains no matter what, with very few of their complaints having a basis in reality.  <_<

Very true haha, the announcement fetish in particular cracks me up. As equipment, I'm actually a big fan of the 62As.

Most (6)<6> riders don't care about what type of train they get wether its a R142A or an R62A , they just want to get to their destinations and in a quick manner....

Well, exactly, that's what we're talking about there.

I can honestly tell you the tardiness has nothing to do with the trains themselves and more to do with other incidents causing the trains to be late. Most of the crews have adjusted and can make the 62 dance just as well and even faster than a 142 when it comes to key situations.

The crews may be adjusting but there was a lot of trouble for a while, and no skilled crew can really make up for narrower doors and longer loading times. That's just going to slow you down regardless.

C/Rs were shouting over the PA, T/Os were making announcements at the same times as the C/Rs, there were a lot of annoyances. Couple of basic screwups as well while C/Rs were getting used to the equipment, I had one C/R who pulled into 23rd, made all the announcements for the station and the 'Stand Clear' without ever opening the front half of the train. Luckily the T/O caught the mistake and radioed back, doors opened.  

But I agree, those 62As can and do move faster than the 142As...it's just loading times in the rush that are the achilles heels.

C/Rs were shouting over the PA, T/Os were making announcements at the same times as the C/Rs, there were a lot of annoyances. Couple of basic screwups as well while C/Rs were getting used to the equipment, I had one C/R who pulled into 23rd, made all the announcements for the station and the 'Stand Clear' without ever opening the front half of the train. Luckily the T/O caught the mistake and radioed back, doors opened.  

But I agree, those 62As can and do move faster than the 142As...it's just loading times in the rush that are the achilles heels.

Thank you, if they overhaul R62A with modern tech it would be a lot better,like auto announcements LED destination sign  but it looks like we won't see that anytime soon.

Thank you, if they overhaul R62A with modern tech it would be a lot better,like auto announcements LED destination sign  but it looks like we won't see that anytime soon.

that is pointless since it won't change anything and it's a waste of money... (6)<6> riders can use the strip maps just like passengers on the (1) , (3) and (7)<7> always have been if they need to look up their stop

Edited by R62AR33

Very true haha, the announcement fetish in particular cracks me up. As equipment, I'm actually a big fan of the 62As.

Well, exactly, that's what we're talking about there.

The crews may be adjusting but there was a lot of trouble for a while, and no skilled crew can really make up for narrower doors and longer loading times. That's just going to slow you down regardless.

Thats not a surprise to me , one time a door guard of an R46 (A) that I was on, opened the doors without realizing the front half was still closed until later.

Thank you, if they overhaul R62A with modern tech it would be a lot better,like auto announcements LED destination sign but it looks like we won't see that anytime soon.

that is pointless since it won't change anything and it's a waste of money... (6)<6> riders can use the strip maps just like passengers on the (1) , (3) and (7)<7> always have been if they need to look up their stop

Naaahh they wont do all that overhauling especially since the R62/As will only be around until the latest around 2030, if anything they might get LED side signs that face inward and outward like the R46s. On top of that the R62/As strip maps arent even updated or show wrong info on the (1) R62As, at Times Square-42nd Street still showed transfers to (9) and (W) trains, luckily it was so small and hard to read and the (7) R62As show the Q32 goes to LGA, when it was actually the Q33 and now its Q70 Edited by StevenFrancis

Exactly my point. All of the issues mentioned here only seem to to affect railfans and foamers. Everyone else only cares about going to work and going home.

That's why I say , R62As are back on the (6)<6> to stay , weather railfans like it or not..people just wanna get to where they have to get to ,they can careless about the type of train they get , At the end of the day we are still gonna ride the line one way or another regardless of what it is running.

Edited by R62AR33