R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Shut up.^ Your wrong, deal with it.

Can't believe I fell for that, so many lying ass people on this site...smh...Oh btw...there's some R188s in service today.

Lol this had me laughing for a minute. Even I knew all those problems weren't true because most of the R188's are in service and there are many new YouTube videos of them.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want to know why I highly doubt these "occurrences" actually happened? If the cars were uncoupling and the doors were opening on the wrong side of the train, the train would've been immediately taken out of service. That's a serious safety issue right there. And if it was happening on several sets, you wouldn't see any 188s around until Transit was absolutely sure they resolved the issue. They don't want riders potentially falling out of trains or cars getting stuck on the rails. However, since the 188s are in service fairly regularly, it kind of disproves this rumor.

You want to know why I highly doubt these "occurrences" actually happened? If the cars were uncoupling and the doors were opening on the wrong side of the train, the train would've been immediately taken out of service. That's a serious safety issue right there. And if it was happening on several sets, you wouldn't see any 188s around until Transit was absolutely sure they resolved the issue. They don't want riders potentially falling out of trains or cars getting stuck on the rails. However, since the 188s are in service fairly regularly, it kind of disproves this rumor.

I agree...There no way the transit authority will keep them in service..

But didn't they have a problem with subway cars doors opening on the wrong side back in the 80's. 

But didn't they have a problem with subway cars doors opening on the wrong side back in the 80's. 

Because something didn't happen back then isn't an excuse new problems emerge everyday, but I agree with Lance too. I wanna ride these trains while they're still fairly 'new' but i'm just too damn lazy to walk to the subway (3 blocks away)  :lol:

Cause the subway was a hellhole in the 80s. Deferred maintenance all over the place. Such is not the case these days.

Here's my two cents. I live in Astoria and have to travel to Citi Field a lot over a year ( Mets Blogger ). I noticed that the R188's are never the "first choice" for conductors and bloggers. While I don't believe the major problems ( Opening on Wrong Side, Uncoupling in service) are happening, I defiantly believe that multiple minor issues are happening. Yesterday my R62A express (which was packed) had to switch to local because of a disabled train at Woodside, and wouldn't you believe it, it was an R188. Obviously though, they either got it to the yards, or repaired it back to service because come 103 st, There were express trains running. Because the Subway fan I am, I walked over to the boardwalk, only to notice around 4 sets of R188 (a couple in the low 78xx's) just sitting there. I then spoke to an operator on the Mets Express ( <7> train that makes 3 stops to manhattan) saying he doubts that there will ever be an R188 on the Mets Express this season. And considering there is 4 Mets Exp per game, that's surprising

Conductors nor bloggers get no choice as to what train they take. Most of them take trains already on the road at that. Besides that, are you sure that the trains you saw in the yard are accepted for service? How many R62As did you see in the yard? As a rough rule of thumb, for every 7 trains you see on the road, you should expect one in the yard.  

Cars R1-R14 had exterior door controls that lacked a system to keep doors locked when the train was in motion, hence the door issues. Everything R15 and after had it.

Edited by LTA1992

Conductors nor bloggers get no choice as to what train they take. Most of them take trains already on the road at that. Besides that, are you sure that the trains you saw in the yard are accepted for service? How many R62As did you see in the yard? As a rough rule of thumb, for every 7 trains you see on the road, you should expect one in the yard.

I'll tell you this, from Queensboro to Willits-Point, I saw 1 R188, and it was going out of service (as I Stated). There was around 4 R62a's in the yard (plus probably a couple In the Casey Stengel Shed). Obviously no one can choose what train they take. But think of this. There have been 10 Mets games so far this year. Plus another trip to Bryant Park, that makes 22 trips on the (7) since March 31st. Not one has been a R188. And I always wait for the express at Queensboro, and if there is a local train first, It's always been a R62a.

Here's my two cents. I live in Astoria and have to travel to Citi Field a lot over a year ( Mets Blogger ). I noticed that the R188's are never the "first choice" for conductors and bloggers. While I don't believe the major problems ( Opening on Wrong Side, Uncoupling in service) are happening, I defiantly believe that multiple minor issues are happening. Yesterday my R62A express (which was packed) had to switch to local because of a disabled train at Woodside, and wouldn't you believe it, it was an R188. Obviously though, they either got it to the yards, or repaired it back to service because come 103 st, There were express trains running. Because the Subway fan I am, I walked over to the boardwalk, only to notice around 4 sets of R188 (a couple in the low 78xx's) just sitting there. I then spoke to an operator on the Mets Express ( <7> train that makes 3 stops to manhattan) saying he doubts that there will ever be an R188 on the Mets Express this season. And considering there is 4 Mets Exp per game, that's surprising

What time was it yesterday that your express got rerouted via local? I had an T/O yesterday with R188 7811-7821 <7> and he was booking it hard.. He operated fast as hell and then braked pretty hard. It was a sick ride, better than any R62A ride I've been on. Plus, the R188's are still new. Just like the problems R62A's had when they were new, the R188's are going through very minor problems. Trains get taken OOS on a regular basis. Kawasaki seems to have a clean record, so I doubt the R188's have any major problems. What I've noticed is that they put R188's out in the AM rush, then take them OOS into the yard midday and usually leave about 1-2 in  service (from 3-4).

Edited by R188 7857

What time was it yesterday that your express got rerouted via local? I had an T/O yesterday with R188 7811-7821 <7> and he was booking it hard.. He operated fast as hell and then braked pretty hard. It was a sick ride, better than any R62A ride I've been on. Plus, the R188's are still new. Just like the problems R62A's had when they were new, the R188's are going through very minor problems. Trains get taken OOS on a regular basis. Kawasaki seems to have a clean record, so I doubt the R188's have any major problems. What I've noticed is that they put R188's out in the AM rush, then take them OOS into the yard midday and usually leave about 1-2 in  service (from 3-4).

Lets see... I entered Citi Field at around 6:30, ( I missed My field time slot because of that damn local reroute.) so I would say I was at Queensboro at 5:45?

Until the 188s become the majority fleet on the line (or we at least get some of the converted sets on the rails along with the new builds), you will likely continue to see 62s on the 7-line, including the Mets specials.

Lets see... I entered Citi Field at around 6:30, ( I missed My field time slot because of that damn local reroute.) so I would say I was at Queensboro at 5:45?

Damn. That must have been 7821 coming back from Times Square the second time (after I got it).