R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am proud to say that I still haven't ridden an R188 in service!

why to Westchester?

I am not sure if you know or not.

They're doing clearance tests on the Pelham line tonight. Gonna run a R188 from Pelham to City Hall and back. Should be on the road right now.

Edited by Snowblock

Am proud to say that I still haven't ridden an R188 in service!

They're doing clearance tests on the Pelham line tonight. Gonna run a R188 from Pelham to City Hall and back. Should be on the road right now.

Just gonna say, the foam will be real if they put 2 5 car sets together and run it on the (6).... (only if it's possible I have no clue)

I said officially. It doesn't include sets that are still undergoing acceptance testing and whatnot. That's why there was only one set officially assigned to the 7 since last year.

Edited by Lance

Just gonna say, the foam will be real if they put 2 5 car sets together and run it on the (6).... (only if it's possible I have no clue)

​Yeah this is why they ran it from 2200-0200, when most of you foamers are supposed to be home and asleep.

Also bear in mind that there's nothing OFFICIAL about Joe Korner. He updates that site based on information sent to him, not official MTA documents.

What is the point of a clearance test with 188s on the Pelham line when 142As (which is basically the same thing) have been running in service on that route everyday just fine for the past 14-15 years?

Because the R188 have different configurations on them other than R142A's. That's why there's conversion sets.

The reason they might be testing on the (6) is due to the (7) being departure to 74th St-Broadway. MAYBE. OR (don't get all foamy as this isn't facts) they might run on the (6) for a day or two mmmmaybee for testing reasons

Edited by Priincenene

Because the R188 have different configurations on them other than R142A's. That's why there's conversion sets.

The reason they might be testing on the (6) is due to the (7) being departure to 74th St-Broadway. MAYBE. OR (don't get all foamy as this isn't facts) they might run on the (6) for a day or two mmmmaybee for testing reasons

Other than that 11th car, its literally the same exact thing...

It probably is testing the feasibility of running 11 cars out there, like what they did on the (F) some years ago

Other than that 11th car, its literally the same exact thing...

It probably is testing the feasibility of running 11 cars out there, like what they did on the (F) some years ago

Not it. Unlike the IND, in which a lot of stations can handle 11 60 foot cars, the I.R.T. can't. The only reason the (7) line does is because there was a time where the B.M.T. had trackage rights to run trains on both the Astoria and Corona Lines.

Edited by LTA1992