R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Are you new?

And I saw a set that is with SHARPIE <_< !

Come on, Corona! aka Home of The <7> !

You mean 7227? 

14645592434_48dbc4a145_o.jpgSAM_0120 by r188_7857, on Flickr

BTW Corona does a really good job taking care of the trains. All they're missing is some Goo-Gone to remove the adhesive marks left by slap tags. I gave this vandal report on FB, but I guess I'll give it here as well:

Vandalism Report:

Trains with no vandalism ever spotted:

7844-7854 7860-7870 7877-7887

Detailed report:

R188 7811-7821: Within the first 30 days, scratchiti on 7818. Can not confirm if it has been removed or not.

R188 7822-7832: 

Sharpie tag on the logo of 7832: Has since been removed. Sticker tag on 7823 (?). Not removed.

R188 BLUR (7833-7843):

Sharpie tag(s) on 7839, 7834. Should have been removed.

Dry sticker marks on 7834, and an unknown car.

Tag on cab door of 7843, that says "BLUR" and looks as if they tried removing it but failed.

PICTURE- TAG LOCATED IN BOTTOM RIGHT

14461360267_2daed35efd_o.jpgSAM_0195 by r188_7857, on Flickr

R188 7844-7854: Clean! 

R188 7855-7859, 7871-7876: Sticker tag on 7856. It was recent, but I'm not sure if it has been removed yet.

R188 7860-7870: Clean! 

R188 7877-7887: Clean

R188 7888-7898: Half peeled sticker tag on 7894. Also sticker tag on 7896. 

It seems as if stickers are giving most of the troubles. Sharpies always get removed... But they need GOO GONE!

Edited by R188 7857

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are there remaining R142As going to the (4)? I thought the reason why they brought those eight new R188s were because there wasn't enough R142As for the (7), but now I'm hearing some R142As are going to the (4), so why order those extra eight R188 sets?

The Remaining R142A's are going to the (4) because Westchester Yard don't want them and don't wanna have to maintain them , so while those go to the (4) , to fill the void on the missing R142A's on the (6) will be R62A's from the (1) , those broadway sets you see on the (6) aren't there because flushing cant send more R62As its to replace the R142A's that have started going to the (4)  , and to replace the missing R62As on the (1) will be R62s from the (3) . The reason for those new R188s is because eventually they will be C cars once all the converted R188s are in service. 

Edited by R62AR33

The Remaining R142A's are going to the (4) because Westchester Yard don't want them and don't wanna have to maintain them , so while those go to the (4) , to fill the void on the missing R142A's on the (6) will be R62A's from the (1) , those broadway sets you see on the (6) aren't there because flushing cant send more R62As its to replace the R142A's that have started going to the (4)  , and to replace the missing R62As on the (1) will be R62s from the (3) . The reason for those new R188s is because eventually they will be C cars once all the converted R188s are in service.

With those claims I'm assuming you're an RCI at Westchester right?

What do you mean "The reason for those new R188s is because eventually they will be C cars once all the converted R188s are in service." That doesn't make any sense...

What do you mean "The reason for those new R188s is because eventually they will be C cars once all the converted R188s are in service." That doesn't make any sense...

It actually does, meaning they will become either CBTC Based cars or complete 11-Car Sets.

But WAIT! I heard that the R142 from the (2) are going to the (6) and the R62A from the (7) to the (6) are actually going to the (2) . This was a 2 month old thing that came from THIS forum.

Why are there remaining R142As going to the (4)? I thought the reason why they brought those eight new R188s were because there wasn't enough R142As for the (7), but now I'm hearing some R142As are going to the (4), so why order those extra eight R188 sets?

Don't forget the TA ordered enough sets for the (7) extension, and the C cars are inserts for the converted sets.

It actually does, meaning they will become either CBTC Based cars or complete 11-Car Sets.

But WAIT! I heard that the R142 from the (2) are going to the (6) and the R62A from the (7) to the (6) are actually going to the (2) . This was a 2 month old thing that came from THIS forum.

Who said this was going to happen?

I heard that there was an R142 set on the (6) earlier this month, 6661-6670. 

And the story I've been hearing is....

R142A to (4) ,R62A to (2) ,R142 to (6) ,R62 to (1)

The only times an R142 has been on the  (6) was  when it split between brooklyn bridge and 125st,  and Pelham bay park and 125st during weekend G.Os ... the Brooklyn Bridge section used R142s since it was easier to have the  (4) lend a few cars for the G.Os ...  and who said that was gonna happen? Its only a swap with the (6) and (7) , no other lines are being touched.

Edited by R62AR33

I still don't understand what's wrong with it being an exclusive swap between the (6) and (7), with the R142As becoming a minority fleet on the (6)? It works with the (J) and its R42s, I don't know why you'd think they'd suddenly start shifting rolling stock all over the place just to make sure that there are no R142As left on the (6).

Thanks! 

Wow. That's not good. These conversion sets are not looking so great. What exactly happens when they brake down? I've never seen a train brake down before.

Trains break down all the time. It's the cycle of life, and it could be caused by a variety of reasons - traction motor failure is one of the most common if I recall correctly.

I remember back in December 2012, there was speculation that an R62 (NOT an R62A) would end up on the (6) - IIRC, it was one of the sets from the (1), and even Joe Korner's site was updated as a result. Does anyone know what ended up becoming of this?

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

No, he (I think) is talking about the 8 new 11 car R188 sets (7811-7898). It doesn't make sense that they would become C Cars.

Don't forget the TA ordered enough sets for the (7) extension, and the C cars are inserts for the converted sets.

Who said this was going to happen?

Your a mod? Wow I didn't know lol

Anyways, a member has just said that he heard it as well but a member on this forum came on chat one night and announced this and he explained that the (MTA) has been getting complaints from passengers about the R142's on the (2) (which is true, there is some probs) with the R142 on the (2) and either this is a command from the (MTA) itself or Westchester decided to swap their R62A's from the (7) with 239th St.

Edited by Priincenene

The only times an R142 has been on the (6) was when it split between brooklyn bridge and 125st, and Pelham bay park and 125st during weekend G.Os ... the Brooklyn Bridge section used R142s since it was easier to have the (4) lend a few cars for the G.Os ... and who said that was gonna happen? Its only a swap with the (6) and (7) , no other lines are being touched.

The R142s ran on the 6 when they was brand new for a brief period as well.

Anyways, a member has just said that he heard it as well but a member on this forum came on chat one night and announced this and he explained that the (MTA) has been getting complaints from passengers about the R142's on the (2) (which is true, there is some probs) with the R142 on the (2) and either this is a command from the (MTA) itself or Westchester decided to swap their R62A's from the (7) with 239th St.

This is silly. I doubt the riders on the 2 are complaining about the 142s, I lived along the 2 line most of the 142s service life and I never heard about any complaints. 2 riders preferred the 142s over the redbirds during the time period the 2 was using both. The 142s HAVC is far surprior to the 62As HAVC, bucket seating is worst than the NTT seats as not everyone is the same size, what complaint could 2 riders come up about the 142s?

I think someone is trolling with that info.

Anyways, a member has just said that he heard it as well but a member on this forum came on chat one night and announced this and he explained that the  (MTA) has been getting complaints from passengers about the R142's on the  (2) (which is true, there is some probs) with the R142 on the  (2) and either this is a command from the  (MTA) itself or Westchester decided to swap their R62A's from the  (7) with 239th St.

Let me guess, was it R188 7857 who gave you that info Priincenene? Look below:

I heard that there was an R142 set on the  (6) earlier this month, 6661-6670. 

And the story I've been hearing is....

R142A to  (4) ,R62A to  (2) ,R142 to  (6) ,R62 to  (1)

Edited by RollOver

Here's a thought: until we get some concrete evidence that proves otherwise, let's assume the 142As are going to Flushing in exchange for their 62As. What's to say that lone set that made its way to Mosholu is a fluke? What's to say Mosholu isn't going to eventually give one of it's sets in return? This whole cockamamie idea of shuffling the deck, sending cars all over the place, sounds ridiculous.

Oh man I have to be that specific? I clearly said EIGHT NEW SETS....SETS...7811-7898. I was not talking about the INDIVIDUAL R188s that will be C CARS.

My question...once again since idk the real legit answer..is, this whole (6), (7), swap was suppose to be SET FOR SET right?...so if that's the case, shouldn't all the R62As go to the (6), and ALL the R142As go to the (7)? And then those EXTRA EIGHT SETS be for the (7) extension and obviously because the (7) has higher ridership.

That is why I don't understand why there are R142As going to the (4) when all the (6) R142As are suppose to go to the (7) for all of the R62As to go to the (6).

I hope I am clear enough this time (even though I thought I was last time).

Lance my bad I was already in the process of making my post when you posted that. So apparently what I was saying is correct, and that some R142As going to the (4) is bullshytt.

IIRC the plan is to keep some 7 sets of NTTs on the 6, due to Pelham's car requirements being slightly higher than Flushing's. Until I see evidence to the contrary I will assume that is going forward.

That I didn't know, I thought flushing had more cars which is why I thought those extra sets 7811-7898 were for.