R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Bro......are you a good Corona <7> keeper/tracker like Papi (me) here? :wacko: ?? Lol good work! Is that also your homeline?

Besides that, I guess the sharpie on the logo is gone by now. Any report of that set or update on the sharpie report?

LOL, it's not my home line. I just ride the (7)<7> a lot because I like the R188s. What car was the sharpie on? I mainly rode on 7837 so I didn't get a chance to see the front half of the train. I don't recall seeing sharpie tags anywhere but I didn't get a good look at the whole set.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, it's not my home line. I just ride the (7)<7> a lot because I like the R188s. What car was the sharpie on? I mainly rode on 7837 so I didn't get a chance to see the front half of the train. I don't recall seeing sharpie tags anywhere but I didn't get a good look at the whole set.

Lol well it's MY homeline (lucky for PAPI :D ) and yeah I guess a lot of FOAMERS like you like the R188. Sorry to crush your heart, but I'm not such a fan of them as I wanted the actual R142A Non-Converted on my (7) cuz the R188 look too "futuristic" "shiny" and "techy" than an R142A and have a slight pitch to the Kawasaki propulsion. The set was #7227 Set (@techandtransit )

It's gone I suppose by now cuz this was months MONTHS ago! Lol wooooo......

Not sure, haven't seen 7227. But I can say they did a decent job touching up 7230, looks much better than 7241.

Anyways what the heck is with 7833-7843, that set is like where all the R188 vandalism pretty much is......... BTW a door on 7843 has two do not lean on door stickers that don't match. One of them is from the factory, the other looks like the one from an R142A. So it may have been a peel.... Anyways let's track some vandalism on that set:

7833: Red sticker tag

7834: Sticker on logo, two dried sticker marks on door, and also a sharpie tag above the other logo (it says either SOY or TOY)

7836: Big dry sticker mark on a logo.

7837: Peeled sticker as stated by Tech and Transit

7839: Once had a sharpie tag on it, now removed.

7843: "BLUR"

Thank goodness (7) line riders have no problem riding the ex: R142A ( now R188 conversion ) that ran on the (6)..... Ok now ... Where is R142A ( not R188 conversion ) that not been running on (7) line.. That #7211 - #7220/ #7899. ...... What will happened to R62A #1901 , #1902 , #1903 , #1904 , #1905 when it get transferred to (1) or (6)... My best bet... Is to make R62A #1901 - #1905 as 5 car unit... While R62A singles should start with #1911.. While rather use R62A #1906 , #1907 , #1908 , #1910 as work equipment car or as passenger use when ever during (S) 42 street Shuttle... At least Westchester Yard can use R62A #1906 , #1907 , #1908 , #1910 as work equipment cars or replace minimum R33 mainline as Work equipment that replacing 4 cars of R33 mainline at least

Lol well it's MY homeline (lucky for PAPI :D ) and yeah I guess a lot of FOAMERS like you like the R188. Sorry to crush your heart, but I'm not such a fan of them as I wanted the actual R142A Non-Converted on my (7) cuz the R188 look too "futuristic" "shiny" and "techy" than an R142A and have a slight pitch to the Kawasaki propulsion. The set was #7227 Set (@techandtransit )

It's gone I suppose by now cuz this was months MONTHS ago! Lol wooooo......

I'm not a foamer lol. A foamer would have gone into the wide open cab of 7848 sitting at Times Square, as legobrickbreaker said on Instagram. The R188 isn't for everyone. I can see why you would want the plain R142A on the (7). But, when you think about it, it wouldn't have worked out. The (7) requires 11 cars and therefor, the "futuristic" 11th C car is needed. Also, they need to implement CBTC technology in the R142As to make the whole project possible. Your not crushing my heart, LOL! The R188 isn't for everyone. It's just my favorite because of the bright lights (I've never been a fan of the dim lighting R44s-68s), even with the recent new tech trains' lights dimming over the years. If I'm correct, I heard that the R188s lights are LEDs? 

Not sure, haven't seen 7227. But I can say they did a decent job touching up 7230, looks much better than 7241.

Anyways what the heck is with 7833-7843, that set is like where all the R188 vandalism pretty much is......... BTW a door on 7843 has two do not lean on door stickers that don't match. One of them is from the factory, the other looks like the one from an R142A. So it may have been a peel.... Anyways let's track some vandalism on that set:

7833: Red sticker tag

7834: Sticker on logo, two dried sticker marks on door, and also a sharpie tag above the other logo (it says either SOY or TOY)

7836: Big dry sticker mark on a logo.

7837: Peeled sticker as stated by Tech and Transit

7839: Once had a sharpie tag on it, now removed.

7843: "BLUR"

So I guess the red sticker I saw was on 7833. But I swear it was a B/C car.

Edited by Tech And Transit

I'm not a foamer lol. A foamer would have gone into the wide open cab of 7848 sitting at Times Square, as legobrickbreaker said on Instagram. The R188 isn't for everyone. I can see why you would want the plain R142A on the (7). But, when you think about it, it wouldn't have worked out. The (7) requires 11 cars and therefor, the "futuristic" 11th C car is needed. Also, they need to implement CBTC technology in the R142As to make the whole project possible. Your not crushing my heart, LOL! The R188 isn't for everyone. It's just my favorite because of the bright lights (I've never been a fan of the dim lighting R44s-68s), even with the recent new tech trains' lights dimming over the years. If I'm correct, I heard that the R188s lights are LEDs? 

So I guess the red sticker I saw was on 7833. But I swear it was a B/C car.

Those red stickers are everywhere, there was one on 7896, one on 7836, one on 7833.........

If I'm correct, I heard that the R188s lights are LEDs? 

They are not LEDs, Its the plastic that is new and transparent to make the fluorescent lights look like the cool white LED color, If cleaning the light diffusers with a stronger cleaning solution or replacing it with new ones will make the car interior more brighter.

They are not LEDs, Its the plastic that is new and transparent to make the fluorescent lights look like the cool white LED color, If cleaning the light diffusers with a stronger cleaning solution or replacing it with new ones will make the car interior more brighter.

I hope the MTA doesn't treat the new R188s like Westchester did the 142As. I know the TA won't replace the light fixtures on the converted 142As but they should try and keep the R188s at least a little better. 

Damn, my bad. I said 7836, I meant 7834..............

Anyways I haven't been on the (7) in some time so I might gotta check out for some new vandalism myself.

It's ok, doesn't matter. I definetely saw a red/orange sticker on a B/C car on either that set or 7811's set.

I hope the MTA doesn't treat the new R188s like Westchester did the 142As. I know the TA won't replace the light fixtures on the converted 142As but they should try and keep the R188s at least a little better. 

It's ok, doesn't matter. I definetely saw a red/orange sticker on a B/C car on either that set or 7811's set.

Its not MTA, its the yards. Corona treats there cars way better then westchester. Heck, If you compared a R62A to a R142A from the 6 line, The R62A would look alot more cleaner.

Its not MTA, its the yards. Corona treats there cars way better then westchester. Heck, If you compared a R62A to a R142A from the 6 line, The R62A would look alot more cleaner.

How does Westchester get away with wrecking the R142As? (Well letting them rot)

I know it's the yard. But the TA could have cleaned up the converts a little before sending them to corona.

Absolutely no guarantee for THAT to happen. The TA doesn't clean it! It's the yards decision. That's why I love Corona Yard so much cuz they keep equipment clean and actually care about the quality of the trains and passenger satisfaction! Westchester doesn't give 2 damns. It's not the MTA's decision either. Like NYTransit said, it's the yards decision. That is another reason why the (7) was voted the best line in the MTA!

EDIT: Don't some sets get fresh up at the Kawasaki plant? I doubt converted sets tho. That's another different question related to the converted sets.......

VM (Papi) (M)(V)(7)

Edited by Priincenene

Holy sh*t......... Apologize for the language, but what the total f***?

So I was on 7830 today, and at Main Street the right side doors were open, leaving the left side doors closed. I looked into the front car 7832, and was like wtf?

Do the vandals literally send out sticker-peeling crews?

Two of the doors have 1/4 peeled "Do not lean on door" stickers, and a bit on the ones on the top. The door closest to the cab has a new "Do not hold doors" and two new "Do not lean on door" stickers, assuming they have been peeled. This is pathetic.... I've only seen this on 7832 and not on any other car. The entire bottom of the stickers on two of the doors are peeled and are rolling up onto the rest of the sticker, full of fingernail shaped peels on top. Jeez........

It doesn't, but what matters is that people actually do these pointless things like it's their everyday life..... nowdays people have nothing else to do. You didn't see no vandalism or any issues back in the 1940's era.... It's now that people want to ruin every new thing.....

It doesn't, but what matters is that people actually do these pointless things like it's their everyday life..... nowdays people have nothing else to do. You didn't see no vandalism or any issues back in the 1940's era.... It's now that people want to ruin every new thing.....

And I reiterate...does it matter?

It's NYC, 8.5 million people call this place home, it's a train, you expect it to look new forever. I really don't see how a half-peeled off sticker would in any way impede the movement of the train

I took a ride today R62A on (6)... The R62A on (6) did not had A/C ( air condition ) & the air conditioner  R62A on (6) was not working well. So why put R62A service on (6) today.. When A/C was not working.. It was like I was in the beach in R62A lol .. I know you will blame Westchester Yard for R62A that the air condition was not working well.

Papi is mad <_<

No one's saying the (7) isn't the best line (that's subjective) but he's saying that their methodology is flawed.

If he and I are both thinking of the same article I'd have to agree.

I took a ride today R62A on (6)... The R62A on (6) did not had A/C ( air condition ) & the air conditioner  R62A on (6) was not working well. So why put R62A service on (6) today.. When A/C was not working.. It was like I was in the beach in R62A lol .. I know you will blame Westchester Yard for R62A that the air condition was not working well.

A/C compressors break on trains every now and then. Just switch cars at the next station.

I took a ride today R62A on (6)... The R62A on (6) did not had A/C ( air condition ) & the air conditioner R62A on (6) was not working well. So why put R62A service on (6) today.. When A/C was not working.. It was like I was in the beach in R62A lol .. I know you will blame Westchester Yard for R62A that the air condition was not working well.

Its a weekday I doubt they can make service on the 6 without the 62As on a weekday. They have no choice but to run them.

The 62As on the 1 tend to have lousy A/C as well. Which is why I wonder at some point will they do a summer swap between the 4 and 6 so the A/C on the 62As will have a easier time on the express runs being that the doors don't open as much.

I honestly saw this potentially being a issue when a 62A runs on a Parkchester run.. slimar to the 1 line where its all local and the outside run is pretty short.