R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rode (7) to Manhattan today... I saw a lot of ex: R142A #7231 - #7240 , #7241 - #7250 in service today on (7)... At least mostly R142A #7231 - #7240 , #7241 - #7250 are great shape in (7) today...

Man, there was a massive delay at Main Street today. Due to the G.O. causing Manhattan Bound (7) Trains to skip 82nd, 90th, 103rd and 111th Streets, trains were held up in both directions. I got off at Main Street at around 2:15. I was on car 7881 (yes, again). When I got back, 7884's set (including 7881) was still there along with 7811-7821 and 7231-7240 + 7901. Everyone was crowding on the first train which leaving which was 7881's set. It was crazy. The worst part was the litter on the floor after the trip. I mean, I know it's New York and there's litter everywhere but it was crazy. Paper and napkins everywhere, spilled water (or maybe coffee or some sort of liquid), and smudges all over the floor. Corona is going to have to send out a lot of cleaning crews to clean 7877-7887 tonight. It was truly disgusting. 

For myself only.. As one T/O operator crew told me on the (6)... There going to be Corona yard fever of R188 over new cars... He was joking... Ok today I spotted no R142A mostly today at Westchester Yard only few sets & mostly all R62A... Remember too some R188 set like 7811 - 7821 , 7231 - 7240 like you said those train was dirty that R188/R142A 7811 - 7821 & 7231 - 7240 & Corona crew have to clean those cars that 7811 - 7821 & 7231 - 7240 may not stay Corona Yard overnight hours... Anyway which yard R188 7811 - 7821 & 7231 - 7240 does go for maintenance in overnight hours too than Corona Yard they have Coney Island Yard & 207 Street Yard... Maybe 207 Street Yard or Coney Island Yard can clean R188 7811 - 7821 & 7231  -  7240 when they leave Corona Yard in overnight hours...

For myself only.. As one T/O operator crew told me on the (6)... There going to be Corona yard fever of R188 over new cars... He was joking... Ok today I spotted no R142A mostly today at Westchester Yard only few sets & mostly all R62A... Remember too some R188 set like 7811 - 7821 , 7231 - 7240 like you said those train was dirty that R188/R142A 7811 - 7821 & 7231 - 7240 & Corona crew have to clean those cars that 7811 - 7821 & 7231 - 7240 may not stay Corona Yard overnight hours... Anyway which yard R188 7811 - 7821 & 7231 - 7240 does go for maintenance in overnight hours too than Corona Yard they have Coney Island Yard & 207 Street Yard... Maybe 207 Street Yard or Coney Island Yard can clean R188 7811 - 7821 & 7231  -  7240 when they leave Corona Yard in overnight hours...

I'm talking about 7877-7887. And since that set is run often, I doubt they would take it all the way out on the ML to CIY or 207th just to clean it. I assume tonight, they will take it to Corona, clean it a little, and put it back in service. Not even, maybe the TS cleaning crews will clean out the litter and will leave Corona to clean the marks on the floor. 

There might be problems with that set. I've noticed screechy brake problems on that set consistently, maybe they're trying to fix it up.

Oh ok. I noticed screechy brakes on 7881 (only) but that seemed to be fixed because I rode that car twice within a week. The rest of the set had been fine so I assume it was an easy fix. 

Some one confirm this please, I have some doubt although it does seem highly plausible.. My friend told me that the R188's will permanently be coupled with each other in the sets they are because if one goes of the 5 or 6 car set goes out of service , The other will have to go out of service also. Ill explain better by giving an example

7811-7821 Is running and car #7820 has malfunctioning brakes. It is taken out of service and taken into the yard. Since 7820 is part of the 6 car set, the other 7811-7815 will just remain in the yard till the other part of it gets fixed and coupled back. Since its 5-6 car set, There would be no point of coupling the working 5 car set to another one since all of the 5 car sets will need a 6 car set.

I tried to explain to him that I dont think it woudl really matter once the Corona yard is 100% NTT. But then doesn't seem to far fetched.

There had to have been some sort of issue to make those two sets mis-paired...

7855-7859 had compressor problems before entering service. So they took its 6 car set 7860-7865, and coupled it with the next 5 car set 7866-7870. When 7855-7859s compressor problems were fixed, they coupled it with that last 6 car set 7871-7876.

Some one confirm this please, I have some doubt although it does seem highly plausible.. My friend told me that the R188's will permanently be coupled with each other in the sets they are because if one goes of the 5 or 6 car set goes out of service , The other will have to go out of service also. Ill explain better by giving an example

7811-7821 Is running and car #7820 has malfunctioning brakes. It is taken out of service and taken into the yard. Since 7820 is part of the 6 car set, the other 7811-7815 will just remain in the yard till the other part of it gets fixed and coupled back. Since its 5-6 car set, There would be no point of coupling the working 5 car set to another one since all of the 5 car sets will need a 6 car set.

I tried to explain to him that I dont think it woudl really matter once the Corona yard is 100% NTT. But then doesn't seem to far fetched.

They would just match the 5 car set to another 6 car set in the yard...

then what would happen to that originals 6 car, 5 car set.

They sit there until its fixed and ready to go back to service.

...the problem with having an 11 car set is once its down for maintenance, the entire train is out of service, where as a 5/6 car set you just take the problem set to get worked on, and the other set gets hooked up to a ready set.

But I see what NYtransit is saying. If 7820 goes out of service leaving 7811, what if theres only say 7844 in the yard also waiting for 7854 to get fixed. 6 car and 5 car sets can't work together and it would be pointless to couple 7811's set to 7854's set. 

Another question, does the C Car always have to be the 2nd car of the train? Or will we see say 7815 leading one day? I'm wondering because a lot of test trains seem to have a lead car that is eventually plaed in the middle for service. 

EX: 

FLUSHING 7888-7892, 7898-7893 TIMES SQUARE

FLUSHING 7881-7877, 7882-7887 TIMES SQUARE

FLUSHING 7260 7903-7256, 7252-7255 TIMES SQUARE

In another case, some test trains were flipped the opposite direction than they were when they appeared in service. 

EX:

TEST TRAIN: 

FLUSHING: 7844-7848, 7849-7854 TIMES SQUARE

SERVICE:

FLUSHING 7854-7849, 7848-7844 TIMES SQUARE

Just was wondering why they would have them in a different order for testing than in service. 

I also find it hard to beleive a lighting cover can make the 188s brighter... 

They do that with the R160. They put the usually supposed to be conductor ends as operating ends. You can tell if the front (or back) car has a sticker under it's front window. That means it's originally meant to be in the middle. Most of the NTT's have this sticker, and I actually don't know what it says but I know for sure it is only for conductor ends.

Why everyone counting on Corona Yard.... When Corona Yard is not the responsibility handle new techs car or other etc stuff... While some should count on Unionport Yard / East 180 Street yard or 239 Street Yard handle new cars , fix or repairs...... Look at Westchester Yard while they have problem with their R142A ,, they send some R142A to East 180 Street Yard / Unionport Yard they handle new cars or 207 Street Yard or fix their own yard...

They do that with the R160. They put the usually supposed to be conductor ends as operating ends. You can tell if the front (or back) car has a sticker under it's front window. That means it's originally meant to be in the middle. Most of the NTT's have this sticker, and I actually don't know what it says but I know for sure it is only for conductor ends.

With ANY car class (except the R42), the operating end doubles as a conductors position when in the middle of a train...

Why everyone counting on Corona Yard.... When Corona Yard is not the responsibility handle new techs car or other etc stuff... While some should count on Unionport Yard / East 180 Street yard or 239 Street Yard handle new cars , fix or repairs...... Look at Westchester Yard while they have problem with their R142A ,, they send some R142A to East 180 Street Yard / Unionport Yard they handle new cars or 207 Street Yard or fix their own yard...

Woah, ok... gramatically, you're a mess. Also, your logic is wrong here. We are all counting on Corona because the R188 conversion sets ARE THEIR responsibility once they've been accepted back into the system after conversion up at Yonkers. If Westchester is treating their R142A's like crap, and Kawasaki isn't doing anything to those cars other than install the CBTC equipment, then it is up to Corona to restore the operational integrity of the crappy conversion sets being thrown their way, WHICH, by the way, they seem to be doing a decent job of. I recently rode on 7231-7240 + 7901, and it looked like Corona managed to fix that set up pretty well; no dead motors, no stuck brakes, and minimal buckling.

The sticker says "No coupler adapter in this car." So the cars with that sticker HAVE to be in the middle?