R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Agreed on all points on the R62As on the 6 I picked up on it too but lets keep in mind that the 6 is one of the busiest routes in the busiest line in the entire US where it pertains to rapid transit, Queens Bvld is number 2. Lets hope Westchester can get the support from the higher ups they need to bring their new R62A fleet up to par. They must because I believe that even with the Second Avenue subway, it will not completely solve the Lexington Avenue problem unless all 4 phases are actually built.

Yes the R142As were shot, flat wheels, worn out brakes and in some cases HVACs that malfunctioned. But the MTA can do a better job on this. However in general their MDBFs actually are above standard compared with other SMEE fleets as of August's data.

As for Westchester Yard and their preferences on car fleets? I wont comment on that, there may be other internal complications with the lines superintendents staff and Westchester yard that could be beyond our scope of understanding looking from the outside in as a commuter dependent on rapid transit for secular day to day activities and such, so I am not in a position to say that Westchester is substandard. 

Edited by realizm

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed on all points on the R62As on the 6 I picked up on it too but lets keep in mind that the 6 is one of the busiest routes in the busiest line in the entire US where it pertains to rapid transit, Queens Bvld is number 2. Lets hope Westchester can get the support from the higher ups they need to bring their new R62A fleet up to par. They must because I believe that even with the Second Avenue subway, it will not completely solve the Lexington Avenue problem unless all 4 phases are actually built.

Yes the R142As were shot, flat wheels, worn out brakes and in some cases HVACs that malfunctioned. But the MTA can do a better job on this. However in general their MDBFs actually are above standard compared with other SMEE fleets as of August's data.

As for Westchester Yard and their preferences on car fleets? I wont comment on that, there may be other internal complications with the lines superintendents staff and Westchester yard that could be beyond our scope of understanding looking from the outside in as a commuter dependent on rapid transit for secular day to day activities and such, so I am not in a position to say that Westchester is substandard. 

Queens Blvd is mad crowded during rush hours. Today I couldn't even get onto an E train at Queens Plaza, luckily for me there was one right behind. There needs to be a solution.

Queens Blvd is mad crowded during rush hours. Today I couldn't even get onto an E train at Queens Plaza, luckily for me there was one right behind. There needs to be a solution.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Typical rush hour, F stalls because of reds by Rego Park on the express AM rush run to Manhattan, forcing the T/Ds to send train crews on the E to skip-stop on the local tracks. Madness. It is next to the Lex the busiest subway line in the United states so not surprising. 

CBTC might solve the problem as the MTA will convert signaling on the QBL to automatic operation, soon.

Flushing comes very close with its very high level of ridership, which is why we must run 11 cars.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Typical rush hour, F stalls because of reds by Rego Park on the express AM rush run to Manhattan, forcing the T/Ds to send train crews on the E to skip-stop on the local tracks. Madness. It is next to the Lex the busiest subway line in the United states so not surprising. 

CBTC might solve the problem as the MTA will convert signaling on the QBL to automatic operation, soon.

Flushing comes very close with its very high level of ridership, which is why we must run 11 cars.

In my fantasy plan with so much service in Queens, subway service everywhere within .5 miles, even more service than the 1929 plan I have a northern Blvd line to alleviate crowding on the 7.

The Queens Blvd bypass from the MTA 1968 Plan For Action would have been the perfect solution, sad that this could not happen because of the 1975 fiscal crisis. Cant do it now because the LIRR since then skyrocketed in ridership so thats not an option anymore. But it would have been a great idea. Use the LIRR main line connect two subway tracks from the LIRR (Two tracks converted to block signaling) send it to Union Tpke (The Jamaica Yard spurs east of Union Tpke as the Jamaica yard flying junctionjs goes in two directions).

Man we went way off topic lol!

I have a question, and I am pretty sure this was answered before all the R62 single cars that will come of the 7, 11 car sets will be connected to form sets right

I have a question, and I am pretty sure this was answered before all the R62 single cars that will come of the 7, 11 car sets will be connected to form sets right

The R62A singles will go the way of the previous R62/A cars - they'll be formed into 5 car sets which can then be linked up in pairs to make a 10 car train.

I don't think Corona ever changed the stickers on the Broadway singles. Hell, 1917-1918 never even got LEDs on the rollsigns.

What's the story behind these cars? Why were they never linked?

The R62A singles will go the way of the previous R62/A cars - they'll be formed into 5 car sets which can then be linked up in pairs to make a 10 car train.

What's the story behind these cars? Why were they never linked?

All of them will not be linked, they are gonna need some singles for summer work service (for the crew to have a/c) 1961-66 aren't linked yet but they're in order with 1961/66 having full width cabs

All of them will not be linked, they are gonna need some singles for summer work service (for the crew to have a/c) 1961-66 aren't linked yet but they're in order with 1961/66 having full width cabs

I'd assume 1906-1910 would be kept as singles due to 1909 not being a thing anymore, but that should be enough, shouldn't it?