R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, ALL the R62A's are being brought over from the (7) to the (6)!? What about the R142's? And where are the Genuine R188's?

The (6) and (7) are switching almost their entire fleet. The (6) will be using mostly R62As and about 60-80 R142As while the (7) will have the converted R142A and brand new R188s. The only other line to be affected (and it might not be permanent) is the (1) because it sent some of it's R62As to the (6), requiring it to use R62s from the (3).

Wait, ALL the  R62A's are being brought over from the (7) to the (6)!? What about the R142's? And where are the Genuine R188's?

All of R62A's from the (7) except the singles will return to the (6) , singles won't return since car 1909 was scrapped so they can't be linked anymore , you will probably see the singles used as work trains and a few for spares on other lines , probably the (1) or (4) . From a very good source that i have the (6) will actually have 6 sets of R142A's left over wich will be used for Pm rush hours only and maybe a set or two for am rush hour since all of the R62A's will cover service for am rush hour and then the rest will be in the yard .

Edited by R62AR33

Wait, ALL the  R62A's are being brought over from the (7) to the (6)!? What about the R142's? And where are the Genuine R188's?

I wish. From what I have seen on weekends, the (7) is half R62A, half R188, while the (6) is mostly R142A (darn it) with the R62As as rare as say, the R142As on the (4).

All of R62A's from the (7) except the singles will return to the (6) , singles can't return since car 1909 was scrapped so they can't be linked anymore , you will probably see the singles used as work trains and a few for spares on other lines , probably the (1) or (4) . The (6) will actually have 6 sets of R142A's left over wich will be used for Pm rush hours only and maybe a set or two for am rush hour since all of the R62'As will cover service for am rush hour and then the rest will be in the yard .

When will this be in effect because the sooner the better! R142A (6) train hater here.

All of R62A's from the (7) except the singles will return to the (6) , singles won't return since car 1909 was scrapped so they can't be linked anymore , you will probably see the singles used as work trains and a few for spares on other lines , probably the (1) or (4) . The (6) will actually have 6 sets of R142A's left over wich will be used for Pm rush hours only and maybe a set or two for am rush hour since all of the R62'As will cover service for am rush hour and then the rest will be in the yard .

I know im gonnasound like a big idiot, but what exactly does linking mean?

I wish. From what I have seen on weekends, the (7) is half R62A, half R188, while the (6) is mostly R142A (darn it) with the R62As as rare as say, the R142As on the (4).

When will this be in effect because the sooner the better! R142A (6) train hater here.

Yesterday I saw 6 sets of R62A's out on the (6) , 4 sets were Former flushing sets and then 2 broadway sets right now Westchester Yard has 17 sets of R62A's iv noticed on weekends they start bringing them out later during the day.

Edited by R62AR33

Because the movements are still in progress.

I know im gonnasound like a big idiot, but what exactly does linking mean?

They will be made into 5 car semi-permanently linked sets (kind of like married pairs.)

I know things can change at the drop of a hat, but why do you think so? Remember, should every R62A that was allocated to the (7) make its way to the (6), they would still not be enough to make service. Not to mention that the shuttle already has its own singles, why does it need any more?

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

The 7 is sending most not all R62As to the 6 some will be going to the 1. The singles are supposed to go back the shuttle.

just the broaway sets from the (1) will go back , iv heard that the Kawasaki R62s the (1) has won't go back to the (3) , since the (3) has enough R62s to cover service

Edited by R62AR33

Smh i swear some of you don't pay much attention. It is simple math here. If this was a strait up 10 car for 10 car swap, then that's how it is. The thing that changes is hat the 7 gets converted units with an ADDITIONAL car so it is a 10 r62a set to the 6 and an 11 car r188 train to the 7. Train wise both lines will have what they need. On top of this There are 8 brand new 11-car, from the factory, trains that will be on the 7 to help cover the extension to 34th st. When the last r188 is on the 7, there will be additional r62a cars that would've been the 11th car on the 7 that can be put in a 10 car train to give some lines an extra train or so (via minor swaps among the other lines) or even work service.

The 6 will still have some r142as left.

All of R62A's from the (7) except the singles will return to the (6) , singles won't return since car 1909 was scrapped so they can't be linked anymore , you will probably see the singles used as work trains and a few for spares on other lines , probably the (1) or (4) . From a very good source that i have the (6) will actually have 6 sets of R142A's left over wich will be used for Pm rush hours only and maybe a set or two for am rush hour since all of the R62A's will cover service for am rush hour and then the rest will be in the yard .

All r62as will have to return back to the mainline. Some might be linked as 5 car sets OR left for the shuttle (1906-10 would be ideal for track 3) and maybe work service. The singles may or may not end up on the 6, but nothing set in stone that says those singles can't be on the 6. But basically some of those singles would be linked into 5 car sets*. The single unit cars aren't going to be left out, they will be used somewhere in the system.

*the upper 1900s-2150 were all singles before being linked, but recently linked sets may end up on the 1 so the 6 can have units that already have full width cabs, unless the newly linked units have full width cabs as well. So that can also be a factor regarding the singles.

Yeah, I know. I must have misunderstood your other post, I thought were saying that there would be excess R62As.

Why would they? Westchester's workers and crewmen are already trained on the R142As, why complicate things by making them learn the R142?

Train for train it is more or less an even trade. In the end the left over unused singles will be used for additional service across the mainline and possibly work service.

To consolidate the remaining cars to one yard. Westchester would have a handful of cars and unlike the r142s which are spread out, only the 4 and 6 has the r142as. That's why i think it would make sense to do another swap after the 7 is all r188s.

Edited by Grand Concourse

To consolidate the remaining cars to one yard. Westchester would have a handful of cars and unlike the r142s which are spread out, only the 4 and 6 has the r142as. That's why i think it would make sense to do another swap after the 7 is all r188s.

I don't think it matters, really. Either way the cookie crumbles, the NTTs will still be a minority fleet on the (6) - might as well let them keep what they know, instead of forcing them to learn the idiosyncrasies of the 142s. I don't see everyone scrambling to get the R46s off the (F), the R160s off the (R) just to keep cars at as little yards as possible.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Guys I just now noticed that a specific R62A car on the (6) Line scratches the platform at City Hall Loop. I was in that car, minding my own business when I heard a HUGE scratching sound, I ran to the door and saw for maybe 2 seconds the car scratch the platform. The train stopped, and the conductor came out of his booth and ran into my car. He said what happened, and I told him I saw the car scratch the platform. So after he looked outside and everything, he started the train and stopped at the Uptown Platform Of Brooklyn Bridge. He said the train was out of service, so I got out, and he took the train to the nearest yard for maintence. I saw the car from the outside, and there was a HUGE scratch at the bottom of the car. I wish I had my camera so I can show it to you guys. But why the heck would this car scratch the platform?

I don't think it matters, really. Either way the cookie crumbles, the NTTs will still be a minority fleet on the (6) - might as well let them keep what they know, instead of forcing them to learn the idiosyncrasies of the 142s. I don't see everyone scrambling to get the R46s off the (F), the R160s off the (R) just to keep cars at as little yards as possible.

that's because the F and R share the same yard (Av x is a storage yard for the F mainly jamaica yard handles all the E,F,R trains). 4 and 6 have different yards. So it isn't the same thing, but that said: it happens, it happens. if not, then fine. I just think that the remaining r142as would be better maintained over on the 4 than the 6. Edited by Grand Concourse

Guys I just now noticed that a specific R62A car on the (6) Line scratches the platform at City Hall Loop. I was in that car, minding my own business when I heard a HUGE scratching sound, I ran to the door and saw for maybe 2 seconds the car scratch the platform. The train stopped, and the conductor came out of his booth and ran into my car. He said what happened, and I told him I saw the car scratch the platform. So after he looked outside and everything, he started the train and stopped at the Uptown Platform Of Brooklyn Bridge. He said the train was out of service, so I got out, and he took the train to the nearest yard for maintence. I saw the car from the outside, and there was a HUGE scratch at the bottom of the car. I wish I had my camera so I can show it to you guys. But why the heck would this car scratch the platform?

Hmmm...That's a good Question????

that's because the F and R share the same yard (Av x is a storage yard for the F mainly jamaica yard handles all the E,F,R trains). 4 and 6 have different yards. So it isn't the same thing, but that said: it happens, it happens. if not, then fine. I just think that the remaining r142as would be better maintained over on the 4 than the 6.

The only way to keep the Remaining 6 sets of R142As off the (6) and send them to the (4) is if they were to do a swap with the (1) ,   (3) . (4) and (6) ,The (4) gets the remaining 6 sets of R142A's from the (6) .The (1) would have to send 6 sets of R62A's to Westchester yard wich would leave Westchester to have a full fleet of just R62A's . Considering that the (1) already has 2 sets of R62s the (3) sends 4 more sets of R62s to cover service on the (1) .It won't make sense to send R142s from the (4) to the (6) cause that means training the crew to work on trains that they aren't familiar with and it's going to be a very small amount so why bother.

Edited by R62AR33

R62AR33, why do you keep suggesting the same things over and over again on occasions? I just noticed that from all your recent posts this year, specifically in this thread.

I mean it seems as if you completely ignore the plain fact that the (4) already has enough trainsets in its fleet to fully cover its current headways/running times. Now, you're trying to shorten the (3) as result? Why? The R142As are just going to be a minority in the (6) fleet, as stated time and time again. Going by that logic, why send those remaining R142As to the (4) for?

Because if it means sending some more R62s over to the (1) (instead of the current 1-2 sets), then you're lowering the spare ratio for the (3) for no reason, and that's uncalled for. The (1) doesn't need any more trainsets either, unless some R62As are out for their SMS work, that is (which I don't think that's the case now).

Please stop.

Edit: If the current total amount of R62As from the (7) isn't enough to fully cover the (6) fleet, then leave the remaining R142As there, and be done with it. All the IRT A Division routes have enough cars for their current headways/running times anyway.

Edited by RollOver

...what exactly does linking mean?

Linking just means coupling, or connecting, two or more subway cars together. For instance, the J needs eight-car sets for service, and they create that by linking eight cars of R160s together. Linking is done through the use of couplers and drawbars. A coupler is a semi-permanent connection because trains connected by couplers can be separated on the spot, whereas a drawbar is considered "permanent" because, outside of the maintenance shop, trains connected by it can't be separated without the required tools or physically breaking it.

I saw the car from the outside,...

Outside where? On the platform?

Probably.

:( It's a poor little R62A.

PLEASE DON'T BE WESTCHESTER THAT MAINTAINS IT!

Linking just means coupling, or connecting, two or more subway cars together. For instance, the J needs eight-car sets for service, and they create that by linking eight cars of R160s together. Linking is done through the use of couplers and drawbars. A coupler is a semi-permanent connection because trains connected by couplers can be separated on the spot, whereas a drawbar is considered "permanent" because, outside of the maintenance shop, trains connected by it can't be separated without the required tools or physically breaking it.

Yeah, on the Brooklyn Bridge Uptown Platform.

R62AR33, why do you keep suggesting the same things over and over again on occasions? I just noticed that from all your recent posts this year, specifically in this thread.

I mean it seems as if you completely ignore the plain fact that the (4) already has enough trainsets in its fleet to fully cover its current headways/running times. Now, you're trying to shorten the (3) as result? Why? The R142As are just going to be a minority in the (6) fleet, as stated time and time again. Going by that logic, why send those remaining R142As to the (4) for?

Because if it means sending some more R62s over to the (1) (instead of the current 1-2 sets), then you're lowering the spare ratio for the (3) for no reason, and that's uncalled for. The (1) doesn't need any more trainsets either, unless some R62As are out for their SMS work, that is (which I don't think that's the case now).

Please stop.

Edit: If the current total amount of R62As from the (7) isn't enough to fully cover the (6) fleet, then leave the remaining R142As there, and be done with it. All the IRT A Division routes have enough cars for their current headways/running times anyway.

Exactly....