R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

So with all of that being said from everyone, does anyone have a slight idea if the R142's will ever go back to the 4 and 6 lines? I know nobody cares but it is a little sad to see the R62's go back to the 4 and 6 lines. I got so comfortable seeing the 4,5, and 6 lines with the R142's and now they are leaving those lines little by little just for the 7 line to catch up. This stinks! To think the Subway would have nothing but newer high tech subway cars one day. My hopes have gone away, boo hoo! 

But what is the current news lately? Fill me in people! I just got back to New York City after 2 years and I really want to know what has changed with the subway! Please anyone! I have always loved the subway and still do to this day! But so many things are going on and I do not know where to begin to catch up.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So with all of that being said from everyone, does anyone have a slight idea if the R142's will ever go back to the 4 and 6 lines? I know nobody cares but it is a little sad to see the R62's go back to the 4 and 6 lines. I got so comfortable seeing the 4,5, and 6 lines with the R142's and now they are leaving those lines little by little just for the 7 line to catch up. This stinks! To think the Subway would have nothing but newer high tech subway cars one day. My hopes have gone away, boo hoo!

But what is the current news lately? Fill me in people! I just got back to New York City after 2 years and I really want to know what has changed with the subway! Please anyone! I have always loved the subway and still do to this day! But so many things are going on and I do not know where to begin to catch up.

R62A: (6)(7)

R142: (2)(4)(5)

R142A: (4)(6)

R188: (7)

Long story short, the majority of the R142As on the (6) are being upgraded and converted into R188s and (along with factory built new R188 cars themselves) are going to the (7) for CBTC purposes (like the (L) is now). At the same time, the R62As on the (7) are being shifted to the (6). There will still be some R142As leftover on the (6), the ones on the (4) are going nowhere. The R142s are not being touched at all and have nothing to do with the R62A/R188 swap.

R62A: (6)(7)

R142: (2)(4)(5)

R142A: (4)(6)

R188: (7)

Long story short, the majority of the R142As on the (6) are being upgraded and converted into R188s and (along with factory built new R188 cars themselves) are going to the (7) for CBTC purposes (like the (L) is now). At the same time, the R62As on the (7) are being shifted to the (6). There will still be some R142As leftover on the (6), the ones on the (4) are going nowhere. The R142s are not being touched at all and have nothing to do with the R62A/R188 swap.

So then does that mean that the 6 will have R142A's and R62's? How much longer till they convert all the R142A's into R188's? And last, will they ever fully restore the 6 lines R142A's again?

So then does that mean that the 6 will have R142A's and R62's? How much longer till they convert all the R142A's into R188's? And last, will they ever fully restore the 6 lines R142A's again?

370 (7211-7580) R142A's will be converted. Prior to conversion, the 6  line had 450 R142's for service so after conversion is complete, there should still be 8 train sets of R142's on the 6.

Yes the (6) will have both, but the R142As will become the minority of the fleet. They are still in the process of converting them, 7211-7590 well become R188s. They are still in the early stages (most of the 7200s are done already). Once converted, is highly unlikely they will run anywhere but on the (7).

370 (7211-7580) R142A's will be converted. Prior to conversion, the 6  line had 450 R142's for service so after conversion is complete, there should still be 8 train sets of R142's on the 6.

I believe the 6 may have had 460 R 142A's (the 4 train having the other 140 or 150 cars) prior to the first sets being converted meaning 9 train sets of 142A's should run once all conversions are done.

They will - but by the time that happens, the current NTTs (R142s and R143s in particular) will be outdated. There's thousands of subway cars in the fleet and you can't expect them to all be replaced by NTTs in one fell swoop, especially if they had not yet run out of useful life. It's a process that will last many years and the rolling stock will evolve, like how the R32s were more advanced than the R14s, the R62s more so than the R33s, etc.

Yes the (6) will have both, but the R142As will become the minority of the fleet. They are still in the process of converting them, 7211-7590 well become R188s. They are still in the early stages (most of the 7200s are done already). Once converted, is highly unlikely they will run anywhere but on the (7).

Lets bring it back a little old school. I do not remember exactly what year the R142A's came out for the 6 lines. But my question is, what was the reason that the old 6 trains got replaced for the R142A's? Now from what I am reading by several posts, people are stating that the current R142A's from the 6 line are being converted because the 7 line is undergoing track improvements or what ever the situation is.

I am just curious if whether the 6 line will ever get their subway cars back. 

Lets bring it back a little old school. I do not remember exactly what year the R142A's came out for the 6 lines. But my question is, what was the reason that the old 6 trains got replaced for the R142A's? Now from what I am reading by several posts, people are stating that the current R142A's from the 6 line are being converted because the 7 line is undergoing track improvements or what ever the situation is.

The (6) used to run with R62As before the R142As arrived between 1999-2003. So yes, the (6) is already getting its old cars back (there are several R62A sets operating out of Westchester Yard already). I'd imagine the reason for the (6) receiving R142As back in the early 2000s as being very political.

Edited by Fan Railer

They will - but by the time that happens, the current NTTs (R142s and R143s in particular) will be outdated. There's thousands of subway cars in the fleet and you can't expect them to all be replaced by NTTs in one fell swoop, especially if they had not yet run out of useful life. It's a process that will last many years and the rolling stock will evolve, like how the R32s were more advanced than the R14s, the R62s more so than the R33s, etc.

If that is the case, what is the plan after the project of the R142A's conversions are over? 

Lets bring it back a little old school.

1: I do not remember exactly what year the R142A's came out for the 6 lines.

2: What was the reason that the old 6 trains got replaced for the R142A's?

3: Now from what I am reading by several posts, people are stating that the current R142A's from the 6 line are being converted because the 7 line is undergoing track improvements or what ever the situation is.

4: I am just curious if whether the 6 line will ever get their subway cars back. 

Let me answer this by answering one question at a time.

1. The (6) got R142As in the late 1990s. The R62As from the (3) and (6) got sent to the (7) and the R62s from the (4) went to the (3). The (4) and (6) got the new technology and replaced the redbirds on the line.

2. (Correct me if I am wrong) the Flushing line couldn't handle ntts in the early 2000's, so the (7) got R62As to replace the redbirds instead.

3. The (7) is undergoing CBTC, which could be the reason why the R143s appear on the (L), or exist at all.

4. The (6) will only keep about 60 R142As, and it will likely not get changed fleetwise once all the R62As get off the (7).

If that is the case, what is the plan after the project of the R142A's conversions are over? 

Most R142As become R188s on the (7) to have CBTC, and the (6) will become half R62A, half R142A, the (7) will ditch their R62As. Westchester and maybe Van Cortlandt will adopt them.

If you really don't know what CBTC is, it is communication based train control, a program that tracks nearly the exact location of the trains, then determining the recommended speed, so trains can travel much closer together.

Let me answer this by answering one question at a time.

1. The (6) got R142As in the late 1990s. The R62As from the (3) and (6) got sent to the (7) and the R62s from the  (4) went to the (3). The (4) and (6) got the new technology and replaced the redbirds on the line.

2. (Correct me if I am wrong) the Flushing line couldn't handle ntts in the early 2000's, so the (7) got R62As to replace the redbirds instead.

3. The (7) is undergoing CBTC, which could be the reason why the R143s appear on the (L), or exist at all.

4. The (6) will only keep about 60 R142As, and it will likely not get changed fleetwise once all the R62As get off the (7).

Yes you are correct on why the R142As pre-conversion could not run on the 7 after initial tests, the reason was because the contact shoes on the trucks could not properly connect with the third rails for electrical current, and thats why initially it failed.

They fixed the problem with a different third rail contact shoe arrangement but it stalled again as the MTA was trying to figure out how to appropriate upgrades and equipment to Corona Yard itself to maintain R142A cars.

Thats as much as I know about it so I'll stop here.

Edited by realizm

The R62A will become the majority fleet on the (6) (not half, as MTA Dude claims), with R142As remaining as a minor force on the (6). R62s and R62As will live out the last 10-15 years of their life. Beyond that the future is not yet known.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

The R62A will become the majority fleet on the (6) (not half, as MTA Dude claims), with R142As remaining as a minor force on the (6). R62s and R62As will live out the last 10-15 years of their life. Beyond that the future is not yet known.

Okay, but it just looks like it now. But how rare will the R142As be on the (6)?

Speaking of R142A (6) trains, the (MTA) really needs to light a fire under Westchester's ass. I get that the 142As are leaving Westchester soon, but the MTA shouldn't let Westchester just trash them. The 142As on the (6) look 25 years old already, while some of the (4)'s R142As still look new.

I totally agree with you. The (6)'s R142As are just so dirty and slow, and it starts moving like an R32. Those wheels look like they got stuck, and the engine just got them off the jam.

Okay, but it just looks like it now. But how rare will the R142As be on the (6)?

Exactly my question. That was what I was trying to ask. I do understand that the (7) is undergoing a project with CBTC. Although I wanted to know if the (6) will get their R142A's after all of this is done and the (7) has all their trains running the tracks with R188's. 

I apologize for the lack of knowledge everyone. Just not really a fan of the MTA releasing newer subway cars such as the R142A and R160, R143 when lines like the (6) are returning to their previous state with the R62's. But hey, if it makes the subways run a lot faster and smoother then by all means!

Exactly my question. That was what I was trying to ask. I do understand that the (7) is undergoing a project with CBTC. Although I wanted to know if the (6) will get their R142A's after all of this is done and the (7) has all their trains running the tracks with R188's.

I apologize for the lack of knowledge everyone. Just not really a fan of the MTA releasing newer subway cars such as the R142A and R160, R143 when lines like the (6) are returning to their previous state with the R62's. But hey, if it makes the subways run a lot faster and smoother then by all means!

Simply put, no.

The R188 is literally an R142A with a CBTC kit in it, so the logic was that its cheaper to convert the R142As (and order a few brand new cars themselves), than to just go all out and order more cars entirely. Once it becomes an R188, the odds of it going anywhere other than the (7) is nil