R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Speaking of R142A (6) trains, the (MTA) really needs to light a fire under Westchester's ass. I get that the 142As are leaving Westchester soon, but the MTA shouldn't let Westchester just trash them. The 142As on the (6) look 25 years old already, while some of the (4)'s R142As still look new.

You should see how much in bad shape the R42s are in. At this point they are using adhesive back aluminum tape to cover up the rusted cracked carbodies like band aids or something. Now the R142As some of them actually have rust on them. Wondering now if overall this was the results of Hurricane Sandy (Saltwater corrosion)? Because this is exactly what happens in the tunnels itself as well as causing severe damage to the concrete benchwalls, roadbeds, and so forth. Nethertheless the main reason is clearly deferred maintainance. I know that the trains were stored underground but still...

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should see how much in bad shape the R42s are in. At this point they are using adhesive back aluminum tape to cover up the rusted cracked carbodies like band aids or something. Now the R142As some of them actually have rust on them. Wondering now if overall this was the results of Hurricane Sandy (Saltwater corrosion)? Because this is exactly what happens in the tunnels itself as well as causing severe damage to the concrete benchwalls, roadbeds, and so forth. Nethertheless the main reason is clearly deferred maintainance. I know that the trains were stored underground but still...

This is why the R42s are being retired before the R32s.

Snowblock once said that they left the R42s out in the yards during Sandy. The fact that I managed to catch any in July after that happened is a miracle in itself.

I don't think ENY yard flooded after Sandy. Think about it this way, plenty of cars got left in the streets during Sandy and did just fine after that. No surprise that the subway cars were fine.

Also, I highly doubt there's prominent saltwater corrosion on R142As. That would be a very big issue. Mostly likely it's brown steel dust and dirt that resembles that in color.

I don't think ENY yard flooded after Sandy. Think about it this way, plenty of cars got left in the streets during Sandy and did just fine after that. No surprise that the subway cars were fine.

Also, I highly doubt there's prominent saltwater corrosion on R142As. That would be a very big issue. Mostly likely it's brown steel dust and dirt that resembles that in color.

ENY yard is far inland, so it did not flood, I don't see the harm of leaving the cars out in the yard during that storm. I remember it was just really windy in the inland parts of BK anyway.

As for the 142As rusting, aren't they made of the same type of stainless steel as the 32s? Its probably dirt as I highly doubt the cars are rusting.

Simply put, no.

The R188 is literally an R142A with a CBTC kit in it, so the logic was that its cheaper to convert the R142As (and order a few brand new cars themselves), than to just go all out and order more cars entirely. Once it becomes an R188, the odds of it going anywhere other than the (7) is nil

Simply put, no.

The R188 is literally an R142A with a CBTC kit in it, so the logic was that its cheaper to convert the R142As (and order a few brand new cars themselves), than to just go all out and order more cars entirely. Once it becomes an R188, the odds of it going anywhere other than the (7) is nil

Man that is terrible! No more (6)<6> running with R142A's. All (7) fault.

Man that is terrible! No more (6)<6> running with R142A's. All (7) fault.

There will still be a minority fleet of R142As on the (6) - they just won't be as common anymore. They're not doing this just to spite you, the (7) needs them more, given that the Flushing line's signalling system is ancient - they figured they might as well use this opportunity to introduce CBTC, and the older cars aren't compatible with such a system. Hence the R188s.

There will still be a minority fleet of R142As on the (6) - they just won't be as common anymore. They're not doing this just to spite you, the (7) needs them more, given that the Flushing line's signalling system is ancient - they figured they might as well use this opportunity to introduce CBTC, and the older cars aren't compatible with such a system. Hence the R188s.

That makes sense I guess But between the (6) and the (7), which of these two line get more busy?

The (6) will still have R142As, as pointed out several times in this thread. It will have 60 R142As and will likely act like the remaining R42s in ENY.

It makes sense. I really love those trains. I think they are so much better than those older trains.

That makes sense I guess But between the (6) and the (7), which of these two line get more busy?

It makes sense. I really love those trains. I think they are so much better than those older trains.

What Rollover said. It doesn't matter if you think the R142As are so much better than the R62As, and neither does ridership.

My main regret is that the people at Corona Yard have to fix up all of the damages done to the R142s, from the leaking roll signs to the dirt and rust, to the browning yellow lights.

Still, at the very least, CBTC *should* lower the crummy skip-stop patterns at 7 local stations and the numerous delays that have been plaguing the 7 for years.

My main regret is that the people at Corona Yard have to fix up all of the damages done to the R142s, from the leaking roll signs to the dirt and rust, to the browning yellow lights.

Still, at the very least, CBTC *should* lower the crummy skip-stop patterns at 7 local stations and the numerous delays that have been plaguing the 7 for years.

That's why they're putting CBTC in the first place! To stop delays.

What Rollover said. It doesn't matter if you think the R142As are so much better than the R62As, and neither does ridership.

Yeah I read it the first time. I don't need someone else telling me what someone else had already told me. I simply just wanted to know what was going on. 

Edited by rsperez93

That doesn't matter.

The whole point is that the IRT Flushing Line has the oldest signaling system that's gonna need replacing anyway. The rest of the signaling system on the A Division are not up for replacement yet.

How do you think the (7) line will run after the project will run? Just curious.

Yeah I read it the first time. I don't need someone else telling me what someone else had already told me. I simply just wanted to know what was going on. 

It's called elaborating. Nothing wrong with that.

How do you think the (7) line will run after the project will run? Just curious.

Well I don't know. I don't ride the (7) daily. Maybe it might run more frequently during the off-peak or whatever the case is.

I just realized something. Since the (6) will have R62As, how will they change rollsigns between Parkchester and Pelham Bay Park?

Most times they don't. They just slap on a green led circle for the local and the red diamond for the express. However, if they did change terminals, the t/o would switch the signs at Parkchester or Pelham Bay Park to display the correct terminal.

Speaking of R142A (6) trains, the (MTA) really needs to light a fire under Westchester's ass. I get that the 142As are leaving Westchester soon, but the MTA shouldn't let Westchester just trash them. The 142As on the (6) look 25 years old already, while some of the (4)'s R142As still look new.

They're overusing those 142As too. Most of the 62As that go out for the rush go OOS at Pelham Bay or Parkchester after the rush while the 142As stay out. They might as well get used to running a good number of them at night and the weekend...

The (7) works the same way. The 188s go OOS, the 62As stay out.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

I just realized something. Since the (6) will have R62As, how will they change rollsigns between Parkchester and Pelham Bay Park?

A given R62A (6) is a collection of 3 Av-138, Parckchester E-177, and PBP rollsigns all over the train. It shouldn't happening: those signs are changeable for a reason, and Westchester crews did fine with rollsigns in the redbird and original R62A days.