R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

They're overusing those 142As too. Most of the 62As that go out for the rush go OOS at Pelham Bay or Parkchester after the rush while the 142As stay out. They might as well get used to running a good number of them at night and the weekend...

The (7) works the same way. The 188s go OOS, the 62As stay out.

Maybe the train crew favor the fleet that's been on the line for some time now that's why the (6) use the R142A and the (7) R62A

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt there will be much issues with the r62a rollsigns on the 6. The r62as ran there for years before being moved over to the 7. If some trains have the wrong signs, then just listen to the announcements.

To those obsessed about the r142as: please don't tell me you are going to wait like 2 hours till one shows up on the 6 because you don't like the old trains. It is not because it is 'unfairness'. It is because the mta wants the trains on the 7 to be driven by computers. Look on the bright side. Maybe in 10-15 yrs if there's money to spend, they can buy brand new trains to replace the r62as. At least other than the bucket seats, the trains have heat and ac like the new trains, so be grateful for that.

Snowblock once said that they left the R42s out in the yards during Sandy. The fact that I managed to catch any in July after that happened is a miracle in itself.

I think you might be referring to the r40m-42 willy b pair. I don't remember all the trains that got flooded in the yards, but i think at least one pair of r46 cars were damaged at 207th st station. I don't remember if they fixed that pair up or not. Edited by Grand Concourse

Maybe the train crew favor the fleet that's been on the line for some time now that's why the (6) use the R142A and the (7) R62A

The 142As are faster than the 62As, thus keeps the schedule easier maybe that's why the dispatcher tries to keep the line entirely 142As on weekends..

As for the  (7)  the brand new 188s (Not sure about the conversion sets) are under warranty after a certain amount of miles the warranty expires so that might be one reason they don't whore out the 188s on weekends, when the CI 160s warranty was about to expire they ran 68/As on the  (N) & (Q)  on weekends.

The 142As are faster than the 62As, thus keeps the schedule easier maybe that's why the dispatcher tries to keep the line entirely 142As on weekends..

As for the  (7)  the brand new 188s (Not sure about the conversion sets) are under warranty after a certain amount of miles the warranty expires so that might be one reason they don't whore out the 188s on weekends, when the CI 160s warranty was about to expire they ran 68/As on the  (N) & (Q)  on weekends.

I usually see 5-6 sets of R62A's on the weekends and and i see up to 7 sets at night , but usually on weekends you can catch them during late in the afternoon....

I usually see 5-6 sets of R62A's on the weekends and and i see up to 7 sets at night , but usually on weekends you can catch them during late in the afternoon....

Ever since the (6) runs every 16 minutes in the Bronx weekends due to service changes, I have not seen an R62A on the (6). The R62As might not be needed at this time, but it could be just me.

I also love seeing three R188s in Main St at once, that's a great place to take pics at the end of the tracks.

That happened after I left Flushing-Main St somewhere around 4-5. I missed one R188, then there was another, and an R188 pulled into the empty space.