R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Oh yeah, today, I was the dumbest railfan alive. I got in the first car, but forgot to ask my grandma for my phone to take a video.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Milk is spilling out of my nose.????????????????????????????

Edited by Javier

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be years before that happens....

It would be around 2016 when the R62As take over.

Really? I thought it would be soon. So once all the R188's are on the (7), the left overs of R142A's will stay on the (6) and along with R62's?

When will the (6) have its new subway cars again? I am now looking forward to that,

Really? I thought it would be soon. So once all the R188's are on the (7), the left overs of R142A's will stay on the (6) and along with R62's?

When will the (6) have its new subway cars again? I am now looking forward to that,

Yeah, and the (6) will not see new cars until the R62As are replaced.

Yep. The earliest time to replace the R62s and R68s is 2026.

Although the Kawasaki R62s are to be replaced in 2023.

That is a date that you got from wikipedia that is very very unreliable , as of right now the R62/As are doing so well there is no planned order or date to retire them at that time. you have to wait until the (MTA) officially announces that they are coming up with an order to retire the R62/As.... according to wikipedia the R32s were suppose to retire in 2002 and the R42s in 2004 and the redbirds in 1994-1998 and look where the R32s and R42s are at right now, sure the redbirds redbirds retired in 2003 but its a much later date. Also Knowing the (MTA) when it comes to their orders to retire trains the orders normally have a delay and come in late , you can't go by what wikipedia says. The R179s are late as it is and the R211 order is not even awarded to anyone and is still in the drawing board. When it comes to retiring trains it all depends due to age, performance and most importantly if the order to retire them is on time.

Edited by R62AR33

Hes going off the usual length of time for a NYC subway car from production to scrap which should be 40 years. The cars started to be shipped to NYCT around 1984. They are 30 years old now and it will have at least for 10 years (approximately) of more revenue service before the R62 or R68s either way are retired. So no subway car is to date has been actually planned for the retirement of those particular cars. 

That is a date that you got from wikipedia that is very very unreliable , as of right now the R62/As are doing so well there is no planned order or date to retire them at that time. you have to wait until the (MTA) officially announces that they are coming up with an order to retire the R62/As.... according to wikipedia the R32s were suppose to retire in 2002 and the R42s in 2004 and the redbirds in 1994-1998 and look where the R32s and R42s are at right now, sure the redbirds redbirds retired in 2003 but its a much later date. Also Knowing the (MTA) when it comes to their orders to retire trains the orders normally have a delay and come in late , you can't go by what wikipedia says. The R179s are late as it is and the R211 order is not even awarded to anyone and is still in the drawing board. When it comes to retiring trains it all depends due to age, performance and most importantly if the order to retire them is on time.

I posted that tidbit on wikipedia!

I'll admit I got this from Wikipedia, and Wikipedia is not a reliable source, but an average NYC subway car life is 40 years. And you're right, there is no way to tell if the R62s will retire in the 2020s at this time. The earliest to retire them is 2023-26 b/c they started running in 1983 or so.

Think about it like this originally BEFORE the swap the (6) ran 450 R142A's [10 car sets each ] and Flushing ran 430 sets of R62A's [11 car sets] .Now 380 R142A's from the (6) are being converted into R188s for the (7)  and the (MTA) ordered 123 newly built R188s. In return the (6) is getting 400 R62A's  from the (7). Why not 430 ? 30 R62A's are single cars wich means an extra car was added into each set to make a train of 11 cars instead of 10.Back in 2000 single car 1909 was wrecked at hunts point ave so you can no longer put all single cars into 10 car sets .( correct me anyone if im wrong on that part) The single cars will probably be used for work service or can be placed on other irt lines . Once the swap is done in 2016 the (7) will be 100% R188s and  (6) will run 40 sets of R62A's along with the remaining  6 sets of uncoverted R142A's . The (6) won't fully be NTTs again until the R62A's retire in likely another 10-15 yrs , unless a swap happens in the near future wit the (4) and (6) which most likely won't happen. In case a swap was too happen in the future it would leave (4) being 100% R62A's because the (6) will have enough R62A's to fully cover service on the (4) so the (4) wouldn't need its R142/A's.

Edited by R62AR33

You keep saying Wikipedia is unreliable, yet the information posted there comes straight off of MTA documents. Get with the times. I and others here have been keeping that site up to date as new OFFICIAL information comes out.

Think about it like this originally BEFORE the swap the (6) ran 450 R142A's [10 car sets each ] and Flushing ran 430 sets of R62A's [11 car sets] .Now 380 R142A's from the (6) are being converted into R188s for the (7)  and the (MTA) ordered 123 newly built R188s. In return the (6) is getting 400 R62A's  from the (7). Why not 430 ? 30 R62A's are single cars wich means an extra car was added into each set to make a train of 11 cars instead of 10.Back in 2000 single car 1909 was wrecked at hunts point ave so you can no longer put all single cars into 10 car sets .( correct me anyone if im wrong on that part) The single cars will probably be used for work service or can be placed on other irt lines . Once the swap is done in 2016 the (7) will be 100% R188s and  (6) will run 40 sets of R62A's along with the remaining  6 sets of uncoverted R142A's . The (6) won't fully be NTTs again until the R62A's retire in likely another 10-15 yrs , unless a swap happens in the near future wit the (4) and (6) which most likely won't happen. In case a swap was too happen in the future it would leave (4) being 100% R62A's because the (6) will have enough R62A's to fully cover service on the (4) so the (4) wouldn't need its R142/A's.

Why thank you very much for your answer. This is the kind of answer I was looking and very gladly appreciate you explaining it, thanks! 

I am not sure what NTT stands for and what it does. I will assume it has to due with the type of trains that run on it. 

Why thank you very much for your answer. This is the kind of answer I was looking and very gladly appreciate you explaining it, thanks! 

I am not sure what NTT stands for and what it does. I will assume it has to due with the type of trains that run on it. 

NTT stands for new technology trains (all cars r142 and up)