R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly like the R142As right now plus a one car insert.

Propulsion might be changed to Alstom im not sure about that

Although I already know that that is on the table, that would be atrocious if they did that.... most of us, I dare to say, quite enjoy hearing something other than Alstom propulsion every once in a while =_= ... besides, what would be the financial benefit of such a replacement anyway?

I thought it was going to be Siemens? Don't quote me but that's what I thought I heard.

I dont know I think it was here I read it that it would be more cost effective to have the traction motors done by one company instead of having like 3-4 different suppliers.. something like that. Im not saying it is it might be true and it might be Alstom providing them but well see if its Siemens then woo

To the best of my knowledge the MTA also purchases from those whom did not win the initial bids to comply with anti-trust laws. The same person told me the equipment from off the (7) line would be going to the (6) line after the retrofitted R-142As (aka R-188s) make it to the (7) line. Who is he? Welllll... I'll just say that he's a Motor Instructor (aka TSS), and when he goes to pick, there's no one before him.

Has it come up that they'll also have R-143/R-160-style, right-hand-only controls?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A few TSSs, including our instructors, went up there two days ago and got pictures, video and pamphlets full of schematics (the cover featured and angled picture of the front bonnet and a few feet of the body... of course it only looked like a 142A fresh from a wash). The Master Controller Console actually isn't like the R-143/160 as I thought it would be, and the Dead Man feature only allows the handle to be twisted in one direction-against the right hand's normal angle of rest, to prevent BIEs. Of course there's the extra TOD as it's utilized on the (L). They barely felt comfortable showing us, so I won't post anything. It looked really cool, though. They got to play with them, too! Boo!

A few TSSs, including our instructors, went up there two days ago and got pictures, video and pamphlets full of schematics (the cover featured and angled picture of the front bonnet and a few feet of the body... of course it only looked like a 142A fresh from a wash). The Master Controller Console actually isn't like the R-143/160 as I thought it would be, and the Dead Man feature only allows the handle to be twisted in one direction-against the right hand's normal angle of rest, to prevent BIEs. Of course there's the extra TOD as it's utilized on the (L). They barely felt comfortable showing us, so I won't post anything. It looked really cool, though. They got to play with them, too! Boo!

Nice =D glad to see progress and all. You sure you wouldn't be able to tell us at least what they're doing with the propulsion (keeping it the same, or swapping it out) and such? I also wonder if they're doing anything with the trailer trucks, or if they're just going to leave the B cars as they are.

Wouldn't it even be possible to show a sneak peek of the Front bonnet? Not even the entire front just a little piece?

MTA ordered 33 R188's for the Flushing (7) line. The order includes 10 converted R142A's, and 23 standard R188's.

Kawasaki will convert the cab (A cars) within it's Yonkers facility. The B cars will be converted jointly with the MTA, at the 207th Street Overhaul Shop.

46 Eleven Car Trains Total

R142A(36 eleven car set inserts) - The R142A is a 10 car train set. Therefore the 11th car (C Car) will be added to each set to make a converted R142A(R188). The first conversion set has been completed.

R188(10 standard eleven car sets) - Delivery of the brand new cars is slated for the 4th quarter of 2012. These 23 cars, will make up 2 new 11 car trains. The 23rd car (C Car) will be inserted within a converted R142A set.

The trains will all use the same current propulsion system, save a few CBTC modifications.

MTA also holds options for an additional 473 cars. (123 new cars, and 350 R142A converted cars.) The option contract is set to be awarded in December.

MTA's board previously approved an expedited change order procedure. Delivery of these cars, including options will run through 2015.

I was further told that, at this point, the master controller has an "L" shape, CBTC is not implemented on the equipment (yet) and the length of track they had to test it on was tighter than the distance between Beverly and Courtelyou Road stations.