R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey wait a minute, if the (7) is getting rid of almost all its R62's, then why did the (MTA) pay the roll sign makers to include 34 Street - Hudson Yards on the Strip Maps?

I think the assumption was that Hudson Yards would be open before the 62As were all gone, but at this pace...

I doubt new sign curtains were purchased. If they were smart, they'd just attach a sticker for 34 St-Hudson Yards onto one of the unused terminals since even at their estimates, the 62s weren't going to be on the line for a long time after the station opened anyway. Of course, that's assuming they're using their brains...

Wait so ALL the R62's are getting transferred to the (6)? They should just dump the R62 in the water and upgrade the (6) to a R188 or R142.

NO!

All the R62As (the R62s are on the (3)) that are on the (7) are going to the (6), and MOST of the R142As on the (6) are being upgraded and rebuilt into R188s and being thrown on the (7).

There will still be R142As on the (6). The R62As still have at least 20 years of life in them.

Wait so ALL the R62's are getting transferred to the (6)? They should just dump the R62 in the water and upgrade the (6) to a R188 or R142.

Thankfully you have no say whatsoever in these decisions.

Somebody tell me, what's is great about the R188's then the R142's.

They come pre-equipped with CTBC packages for the Flushing line's purposes.

Thankfully you have no say whatsoever in these decisions.

They come pre-equipped with CTBC packages for the Flushing line's purposes.

Im sorry if i sould like a dumba** but whatis a CTBC exactly? I mean the R188's are shiner and newer and have the new annocments and door chimes and motors, but they are exctly the same as R142's.

Im sorry if i sould like a dumba** but whatis a CTBC exactly? I mean the R188's are shiner and newer and have the new annocments and door chimes and motors, but they are exctly the same as R142's.

Have you try using Google? Try Google, search CBTC.

R188s are exactly the same as R142A just upgrading with CBTC package. There is no new door chimes or new motors. Part of the R188 fleet does have newly built cars that are very new and they are exact replica of R142A.

Our old technology is basically block signaling. When a train enters an area, the entire block is considered occupied. CBTC allows computers to track the exact location of a train so a train occupies less space, allowing more trains to run while being safe. CBTC will also remove the need of signals, except for switch signals. The reason signals aren't needed anymore is because the computers are determining your speed, and it sends it to the driver, which then he or she will drive at about that speed, keeping service in order and allowing trains to run close to each other, allowing more service.

R142A's don't have that ability. R188s are upgraded to have CBTC. Plus, not all R188s are shiny. Some are converted sets that came out of Westchester's a-hole of a shop.

Edited by MTA Dude

These things that you can look up on your own, it's not even that hard to find...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications-based_train_control

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automation_of_the_New_York_City_Subway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_train_operation

Edited by RollOver

Exactly. I'm not even sure about what I was doing when I made that last post.