R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Some Singles will go to the (6) due to the the fact Westchester now houses the 42nd st (S)huttle, they can use them for spares and garbage duty for the summer time, and the remaining will go to the (1) as extras and garbage duty, i will say roughly about 14-20 R62A's will stay singles for the obvious reasons, in the summer time the R127/134's as well as the redbirds do not have A/C, in the A divsion they have no choice but to use R62A's due to it having A/C, the R33ML cars (TOMC) also have A/C, but their A/C systems tend to suck since they aren't used as much no more

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What sources did you hear this from?! What reasons were there? Come on, be specific!

1909 was scrapped years ago, which means 1906-8 and 1910 would be a 4 car train. It will never be a 5 car set and would be the most likely cars for garbage duty. 

Actually 1926-1965 will be converted to 5 car units. *1961-1965 are still singles for now.

Also 7321-7329-7910-7330 are in service.

I sure hope so. But didn't they already link some of the shuttle cars into 3 and 4 car sets already? Forgive me if this has been answered, but when trains are linked, can they be unlinked and reconnected into a new set? I get the idea is to remove the components in a car that would not be used as an end car for the t/o to operate the car, but with the shuttle cars, they could've just linked 2 cars leaving a single for flexibility instead of all 3 non consecutive numbered cars.

They also really need to get around to rebuilding the TS platform of that line to hold 5 car trains.

Edited by Grand Concourse

And so what happens after the new 34th Street – Hudson Yards station opens this year, are they going to take down all the strip maps on the R188's and replace it with that one extra station?

Of course not. They're just gonna add one sticker that says "34 St-Hudson Yards" on all of the current strip maps on the R188 cars anyway. It shouldn't took more than at most 3 minutes per car at best.

Edited by RollOver

Of course not. They're just gonna add one sticker that says "34 St-Hudson Yards" on all of the current strip maps on the R188 cars anyway. It shouldn't took more than at most 3 minutes per car at best.

The stop for Hudson Yards is already on the stripmaps, been there since they first came in. It was just covered up this whole time

Of course not. They will just add one sticker that says "34 St-Hudson Yards" on all of the current strip maps on the R188 cars anyway. It shouldn't took more than at most 3 minutes per car at best.

Oh, didn't know that. I only first rode the R188 once, back in November 2014. I probably didn't look at the strip map very often since the map looks the same on R142's. Basically I didn't pay enough attention to the strip map(not knowing that the new station was already there covered up).

Edited by Q113 LTD

More than likely this action will take place on the remaining R62As on the (7).

I kinda doubt it. There's no point reprinting new 7 train maps for the r62as when they will eventually be all moved off to the 6 either some months before or after the station opens, depending on how much longer it is going to take to open that station for service.

And so what happens after the new 34th Street – Hudson Yards station opens this year, are they going to take down all the strip maps on the R188's and replace it with that one extra station?

Strip maps on the 7 Line already has the station printed it is just covered by a black strip to ensure that the passengers not to get confused.

When the 34th Street station opens, the black strip covering the station on the strip map will be removed.

I kinda doubt it. There's no point reprinting new 7 train maps for the r62as when they will eventually be all moved off to the 6 either some months before or after the station opens, depending on how much longer it is going to take to open that station for service.

Apparently, with the 34 Street signs now appearing n the (7) line, there is a rumor that the extension should open by the end of this month. Not all the R188s are here, so some (if not all) R62as may get new strip maps depending on how true this rumor is.