R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I'm talking about those type of glitches where yellow spots or something else would appear on the screen. And I swear to myself I saw a R188 today that had its sign completely messed up.

Thank Westchester for those broken signs. Unfortunately, there is nothing Corona can do about it.

For the last time, yes Hudson Yards is in the program along with the stop on the strip map

Yup, took the (7) last Sunday, on an R188. Saw the patched up 34th St-Hudson Yards. BTW Why is it called Hudson Yards? If it is the neighborhood, I get it, but I don't think it is.

Yup, took the (7) last Sunday, on an R188. Saw the patched up 34th St-Hudson Yards. BTW Why is it called Hudson Yards? If it is the neighborhood, I get it, but I don't think it is.

It's because of the redevelopment project in the far west side area where the (7) 's new southern terminus will be at.

Is there a reason why the R62A's transfers from the (1) aren't paired together on the (6) ? For example; 2306-2310/2221-2225

Someone did report seeing an 1800 set (purple stickers) with a 2000s (red sticker) set. If they need trains, they can mix them as they are the same trains. With more trains to come off the 7, i don't think the final yard fleets are done yet. And it may be possible the 2000s goes to the 1 and 1660s to the low 2000s goes to the 6 and S.

BTW Why is it called Hudson Yards? If it is the neighborhood, I get it, but I don't think it is.

The MTA also name stations after a place or after its location, such as 66 Street - Lincoln Center and 34 Street - Herald Square.

Hudson Yards is a neighborhood according to the official site for the development as well as a few other sources, but the MTA doesn't think so. You can tell from the station name, too - under MTA's naming conventions the station would have been called "Hudson Yards - 34 Street".

Someone did report seeing an 1800 set (purple stickers) with a 2000s (red sticker) set. If they need trains, they can mix them as they are the same trains. With more trains to come off the 7, i don't think the final yard fleets are done yet. And it may be possible the 2000s goes to the 1 and 1660s to the low 2000s goes to the 6 and S.

my question is; does westchester purposely avoid pairing the R62A's they got from the (1) ??

I don't understand why the MTA didn't upgrade the interior lighting on R188 from florescent to LED like they did to some of the R160, it's much brighter and doesn't turn yellow when it nears its end life. Also the when the C car was install to the existing set, the view of a brand new car with 13 or 14 year old cars is an eyesore during the night.

I don't understand why the MTA didn't upgrade the interior lighting on R188 from florescent to LED like they did to some of the R160, it's much brighter and doesn't turn yellow when it nears its end life. Also the when the C car was install to the existing set, the view of a brand new car with 13 or 14 year old cars is an eyesore during the night.

Money money money... Definitely cheaper to leave the current light setup on the converted cars.

my question is; does westchester purposely avoid pairing the R62A's they got from the (1) ??

If they do, then they're obviously not doing a good job of it. Every morning, I see a mixed Corona/240th train on the 6 pull into Grand Central from my 5 train. No, I don't remember the numbers unfortunately.

If they do, then they're obviously not doing a good job of it. Every morning, I see a mixed Corona/240th train on the 6 pull into Grand Central from my 5 train. No, I don't remember the numbers unfortunately.

IMO the 240th Street R62A's should stay paired together so it's easier to transfer back.

IMO the 240th Street R62A's should stay paired together so it's easier to transfer back.

Don't think they will be transfering them back anytime soon. When they finish with the R142A and get (7) R62A them they should pair 240th Street together, for right now i don't see a problem with Corona/240th R62A pairing together lol

You read my mind Fresh Pond.

The only routes that never get rerouted via other routes are the:

(7)(L)(G) and all (S)huttles.

That's not what I meant...

The R188 is specifically for the (7)...the (G)(L) and Rockaway (S) shares cars with other lines in their respective lines.

Think of the R143s. They run specifically on the (L) only.

Edited by Fresh Pond

Why would they put a FIND system in a car that's staying on one line?

Its not that its just because its "find", but rather they can more easily make any changes to the route, Not to mention its much more clearer and it makes appear more newer. Sometimes you over analyze things, the mta has made silly choices in the past. For example. the take off trash cans from stops program, which ever it was called.

Its not that its just because its "find", but rather they can more easily make any changes to the route, Not to mention its much more clearer and it makes appear more newer. Sometimes you over analyze things, the mta has made silly choices in the past. For example. the take off trash cans from stops program, which ever it was called.

But a FIND costs more than a strip map. We had a large conversation about this before. The (7) and (L) are isolated lines and their respective newer cars hardly ever get sent to other lines (excluding the R160s on the (L), which have also been seeing use on the (J) and (M)). The R188s and R143s are also fully equipped with CBTC and ATO for the Flushing and Canarsie lines, which are both mostly or completely automated. It's hard to come up with an excuse of why a FIND would be preferable over a strip map on a certain car type that's just staying only on one line for nearly all their lifespan due to the aforementioned reasons.

Edited by RollOver

Its not that its just because its "find", but rather they can more easily make any changes to the route,...

Fresh Pond's point still stands though. Think about it: since the 188s will only stay on the 7, any service change on that line can be shown on the strip map. Only the lights need to be changed, and that can be done with some programming. They don't need the "via [X] line" flexibility because once again, the equipment will only run on the 7. It's a moot point, and since FINDs cost more per panel it's a waste of money to buy it when strip maps can do everything that is needed and for a cheaper price.

...not to mention its much more clearer and it makes appear more newer.

The FIND system may look clear and better, but that is just personal preference and not something that is really needed. Strip maps are clearly not illegible, and assuming the passenger knows the basics of how a strip map works, it will [logically] provide the exact same information just as the FIND does. Why? Because the FIND is essentially a strip map, no matter how you look at it. The only difference is how they both display information to straphangers.

Having preferences is not a bad idea, but since the MTA doesn't have an infinite amount of cash, sacrifices will have to be made if it means a better financial outcome.

Sometimes you over analyze things, the mta has made silly choices in the past. For example. the take off trash cans from stops program,...

This is neither an overanalyzation, nor is it a silly choice. It's also not a grudge against FINDs, if that's what you were thinking. It is simply the better decision in this kind of situation. Any time you spend money on something - be it food, clothing, housing, a car, a pet, whatever it is - you need to weigh the benefits and costs of your options and then pick the best one. It's just good money management.