R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in 2003 they had one go via Astoria in Service as an emergency reroute. I remember they had some news about it and the old Subtalk Mentioned it.

Interesting... mostly because of how it would return southbound as there were no south crossovers at Queensboro Plaza.

I'm pretty sure it got held in the middle track for a bit, but still....

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Let me get this straight, your telling me that a (7) went to Astoria because of an emergency reroute?

That's just confusing, how the hell does a 11-Car R62A fit on those Broadway stations??

I said Astoria not Broadway. Damn. And the only issue with IRT cars running on B division lines is the platform gaps. Otherwise they really can run on B division lines.

I said Astoria not Broadway. Damn. And the only issue with IRT cars running on B division lines is the platform gaps. Otherwise they really can run on B division lines.

The stop arm is on the opposite sides of the tracks as well as the trip cocks being on the opposite sides of the trucks

Let me get this straight, your telling me that a (7) went to Astoria because of an emergency reroute?

That's just confusing, how the hell does a 11-Car R62A fit on those Broadway stations??

11 cars of R62As is still shorter (561') than a 10 car B division train (600')

Edited by Fresh Pond

Seems there are more R188's now then R62A's. I wonder, does anybody know when the last R62A in service will be used on the last run? Like when the RedBird did it's final run to Times Square?

Most likely when the  (7) has enough cars to operate full time service...Until then u gonna see a few R62A on the line...The exact date of the last run Idk to much about...Only the  (MTA) will know that or maybe someone on the forum...

Most likely when the  (7) has enough cars to operate full time service...Until then u gonna see a few R62A on the line...The exact date of the last run Idk to much about...Only the  (MTA) will know that or maybe someone on the forum...

Well, the (7) needs 30-32 train sets to run the rush hour schedules. Compare that to how many R188 sets have been accepted into revenue and you have your answer.

Seems there are more R188's now then R62A's. I wonder, does anybody know when the last R62A in service will be used on the last run? Like when the RedBird did it's final run to Times Square?

Is it just me, or did this complicated story strike once again to me?

Stage One: News of new cars come in.

Stage Two: About 10% of the line is filled with new cars.

Stage Three: I try to ride one. 30%

Stage Four: I finally ride one. 40%

Stage Five: I ride a new car almost every time. 70%

Stage Six: All old cars are gone. I miss them.

Yup. Happened with the Orion V and the C40LF and is happening right now with R188s. Might happen with R62A on the (6).

It Probably won't even be a big event as the redbirds since they are all going to the (6) and not retiring 

Why did they CHANGE IT TO TIMES SQ!! Saw 72?? Set nd it say "TIMES SQ" !!

The new programs, instead of "Times Square - 42nd Street" it now says "Times Sq" and instead of "Flushing - Main St" it says "Main St". 

Yeah, apparently Transit has gotten very abbreviation-happy with the signs. There's being concise and there's removing all meaning to the signs. There's a reason why those mosaic LCDs are capable of displaying 20 characters. Sign readings like

MAIN ST

WILLETS PT

TIMES SQ

HUNTERS PT

should not be accepted when it's quite possible to display the full names as they appear on the map.

Yeah, apparently Transit has gotten very abbreviation-happy with the signs. There's being concise and there's removing all meaning to the signs. There's a reason why those mosaic LCDs are capable of displaying 20 characters. Sign readings like

MAIN ST

WILLETS PT

TIMES SQ

HUNTERS PT

should not be accepted when it's quite possible to display the full names as they appear on the map.

I agree. Let the MTA do whatever they want, they wont listen. The TIMES SQ doesn't matter because soon the 34th St station will open, but lets hope it doesn't sign up as "HUDSON YDS" :/